BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Early run-in service normal?

06-27-2019, 04:39 AM   #1
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 COMPETITION

Early run-in service normal?

So I took my brand new M2 Competition in to fix few little things and I thought also to have an early oil change, ~250 miles on the clock, to clean the tolerances collected in the block. The dealership initially declined my request saying that they don't do it outside or the running in scheduled period but then it turns out my car is due servicing by July hence they will do it.

Now my question is, how is it possible the car needs servicing so early and why do they do it so early when the runbook clearly says at 1200 miles? Ideas? Shall I get worried or it's all good and I will still need to stick to run-in procedure?

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by _debo; 06-27-2019 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

The first 2 service countdowns the car will do is break-in service at 1200 miles and 1st oil change at 10k miles OR 1 year from manufacture date. These 2 run concurrently and one does not affect the other. If you have a service due in iDrive it's likely the yearly and likely because your car was manufactured in june or July of 2018 (you can check the VIN here https://decoder.bvzine.com/ )
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi there, not really, first order placed in October 2018 if I'm not mistaken, cancelled by December 2018, new order automatically placed in January 2019 manufactured in February 2019, car collected in March.

This is the 1st service, running in, service. Let's even assume for a moment the car was manufactured in July 2018, my probably misinformed engineering background can't compute how the running in service could possibly be a timed one. The running in service is meant to remove all the crap and the tolerances from the moving parts hence my concern.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Does it actually say it needs service now or it needs service in X miles? maybe a picture of what the iDrive is tell you would help. mine technically says I need service (when I start it), but it also says that service is needed in 8000 miles
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I can't recall properly now, but the BMW system, the one the representative had on screen, said it is due in July... I took the car willing in because I wanted to preventively change the oil anyway to remove the big part of the tolerances and then continue the run-in with peace of mind, they initially refused and then they said, oh but the diagnostic says it's due in July we will do it.

Moreover, now, to add insult to the injury they busted the head unit with a software update... I'm so not pleased with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 05:16 AM   #6
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So, just a quick update, I collected my car today and I spoke with the head engineer in the workshop and spoke with him about the situation.

Despite on the forum it was debunked that there are no special fluids in the car, I was told instead that was the case and that for that reason the running in service is also timed and that the internal sensors in the car detected that the factory oil deteriorated and needed replacement despite the low mileage. With that said he also told me that at this point, because I have proper oils in the car I can now be a bit more spirited with my driving and I can also take the car on the highway without worrying... I'm still a bit skeptical to be honest but one side of me want also this to be true.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

He told you what he thought you wanted to hear, based on your previous interest "to clean the tolerances collected in the block"

HTH.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #8
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
He told you what he thought you wanted to hear, based on your previous interest "to clean the tolerances collected in the block"

HTH.
Well not exactly, that guy didn't know about my car at all or why it was there apparently but even if he did, he didn't address my real question, yes I did ask to do so, but I was planning to keep driving in run-in mode... he didn't advise to do so. That's why I'm puzzled. What would you do if you were me at this point? Keep driving cautiously or do what they told me?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Dillon152
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

The servicing dept did mine at 400miles. It just arrived from ED. The iDrive on mine also said it was due, but it said that from day 2 of driving it with less than 100 miles on it.

I’m continuing to drive it as if I were breaking it in. I requested them to do another “break in” servicing at 1200 miles... they aren’t interested in doing it for me though. I called BMWNA,they said they couldn’t help me and talk to the service manager. Basically I got nowhere and will have to hope 400 miles wasn’t too early for the service
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:52 AM   #10
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _debo View Post
Well not exactly, that guy didn't know about my car at all or why it was there apparently but even if he did, he didn't address my real question, yes I did ask to do so, but I was planning to keep driving in run-in mode... he didn't advise to do so. That's why I'm puzzled. What would you do if you were me at this point? Keep driving cautiously or do what they told me?
At this point I would continue to drive it according to the running in advice until reaching 1200 miles or so, as the reason for doing that remains. Whether you then change the oil/filter again is up to you, but maybe try to observe the recommended service intervals even if you're changing the oil more regularly (which, with modern oils is of questionable benefit).

HTH
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #11
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, this is where we are at with BMW UK and HQ, following is the reply I got:
Quote:
Good morning [ ... ]

Thanks for your email about your BMW M2. I’m sorry to hear this – I can understand how frustrating this must be for you.

I’ve spoken to BMW [ ... ] who have advised me that the running in service was due. While I appreciate this is usually carried out around 1000 miles, as your car hasn’t been driven the oils and components have still aged over this time.

This is called CBS (Condition Based Servicing) so sometimes even if the mileage hasn’t been met, but the car or fluids is old enough the car will require a service.

They did check with warranty who advised the service could be carried out without affecting your warranty which you authorised them to do so. As the car has now had the run in service done, the run in fluids have been removed and replaced with the correct oil for the car. BMW UK would recommend following the owners handbook in relation to the tolerance in the engine.

While the correctly oils are in, the components haven’t worn as much as they would at 1000 - 1200 miles. The best thing to do would be to gradually progress on how hard to drive the car until the mileage limit has been reached as per the handbook.

[ ... ]

I hope this information is helpful and I’m sorry for the disappointment that’s been caused during this process.

If there’s anything else in future, please let me know.

Kind regards

[ ... ]
I then replied back demanding for a free servicing at 1200 miles, let's see where that takes me.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Remember: You were the one who wanted to change the oil ridiculously early to "clean the tolerances", so are not really in a position to criticise others for bullshitting.

HTH...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:44 AM   #13
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Remember: You were the one who wanted to change the oil ridiculously early to "clean the tolerances", so are not really in a position to criticise others for bullshitting.

HTH...
I'm not criticising them, I know exactly what I wanted to do. The fact I wanted to do an early oil change for the aforementioned, deemed as wrong, reasons, doesn't mean that BMW who in theory knows better should do something wrong or now tell me that the RIS is done and dusted.

I'm a customer who never had such a "fancy" car, they are supposed to be the experts.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #14
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
At this point I would continue to drive it according to the running in advice until reaching 1200 miles or so, as the reason for doing that remains.

HTH
Good advice. Personally, I change about every 8k but don't reset the service indicator so BMW pays for every other, roughly. I also send an oil sample for analysis any part of the report is the condition of the oil and how long I can safely run the change intervals. Added expense for sure, but worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #15
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

This is the latest from BMW:
Quote:
Good morning [ ... ]

Thanks for your further email.

As mentioned the oils have now been changed but, as the components haven’t been worn in up until 1000-1200 miles, we’d recommend following the owners handbook.

Your car does run of CBS so the car won’t need servicing until the car notifies you. When this is due the service light will come on and you’ll be able to book the car in. Servicing the car before this wouldn’t benefit the car or yourself as this would be charged to you and not claimed under the service pack.

With this in mind, this would also cause problems to the CBS system for future servicing and any future servicing may not be able to be claimed under your service pack.

The best thing to do is to wait for the service light to come on and speak to an Approved BMW Centre.

I hope this further information is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Seems reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #17
maguir2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

I went for my 1200 miles service and they told me they did it before delivering my car...weird as fuck
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #18
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguir2 View Post
I went for my 1200 miles service and they told me they did it before delivering my car...weird as fuck
Yeah, that's even weirder indeed. So they didn't service yours at all?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #19
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguir2 View Post
Was your car one of those on a car transporter that sank, or one of the cars that got buried in a sandstorm while sat on the dock?

Either way, it might be worth contacting BMW to query why...
Appreciate 0