BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > LEDs in Side Markers Keeps Melting

07-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I threw in a LEDs "bulb" in my side marker/ turn signal to replace the pre-LCI incandescent light and coded it appropriately but for some reason, for the third time, the inner LEDs within the cluster keeps on melting, which I assume is due to a buildup of heat.

Any suggestions on how to work around this issue and still retain aftermarket side mark in LEDs.

I coded out the steady side markers for now and they just function as only turn signals (Euro/ROW style), in an attempt to preserve my current LEDs set-up but I would like to figure out a permanent solution to restoring them to the factory state (US spec) and not burn out the LEDs prematurely.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Higher quality bulbs
      07-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
Higher quality bulbs
That was my first assumption but after three different brand of bulbs, including CANBUS ready versions, same exact melting issue, literally within a few days.

So I've come to conclusion that it's due to a build of head built-up, from a combination of the side markers remaining stead on and the hot summer weather.

I didn't have this issue in the last few months because it was still winter when I had originally installed them and the ambient temperature was lower.

Only during the hot weather I've noticed this melting of the LEDs.
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      07-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Higher quality bulbs
That was my first assumption but after three different brand of bulbs, including CANBUS ready versions, same exact melting issue, literally within a few days.

So I've come to conclusion that it's due to a build of head built-up, from a combination of the side markers remaining stead on and the hot summer weather.

I didn't have this issue in the last few months because it was still winter when I had originally installed them and the ambient temperature was lower.

Check out CREE LED bulbs on Horizonleds or Amazon.

I had one set of LED's on my 435i with Xenon lights for 4 years without any issue at all.

Check out the gold-line bulbs on Horizonleds. We fit W5W from that line on my friend's Volvo V40's headlights as DRL's after numerous LEDs burnt out within a week and it's caused no issue until day of sale which was 2 years later.

See if you can find similar bulbs on Amazon or eBay if you international shipping + wait seems like a hassle.
      07-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Higher quality bulbs

Check out CREE LED bulbs on Horizonleds or Amazon.

I had one set of LED's on my 435i with Xenon lights for 4 years without any issue at all.

Check out the gold-line bulbs on Horizonleds. We fit W5W from that line on my friend's Volvo V40's headlights as DRL's after numerous LEDs burnt out within a week and it's caused no issue until day of sale which was 2 years later.

See if you can find similar bulbs on Amazon or eBay if you international shipping + wait seems like a hassle.
I saw the Cree LEDs on Amazon but I had already ordered this Sirius brand, that literally just arrived a few mins ago. USPS deliverers on Sunday?.. :

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll now order the Cree version as a back-up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Poochie
United_States
Rep

To close out this thread and because I have a naturally inquisitive mind, I cracked out the old LEDs bulb housing to possible decipher the exact reason behind the supposed premature failure.

What I noticed is the actually LEDs wasn't actually burnt-out, as I had originally assumed, apparently, it's was just the plastic projector over the LEDs that had overheat and melted. The physical LEDs and bulb itself is still functioning fine.

I guess this still goes back to Quality Assurance, which I assume this manufacture of LEDs did not properly undertake to ensure possible heat failure.

Thanks for the folks that helped and happy motoring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Un-related/since you asked... USPS delivers Amazon orders on Sundays but not regular mail or other packages.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00