BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > M2 1200 mile running-in service - list of items

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
rich8566
Major
rich8566's Avatar
United_States
565
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
M2 1200 mile running-in service - list of items

Here's the official list of the items addressed at the 1200 mile break-in service:
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: 2017 ///M2 manual
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Tag
Major General
Tag's Avatar
United_States
4932
Rep
5,141
Posts

Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Service & Warranty Book
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
597
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 zcp
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
doug_999's Avatar
1577
Rep
3,202
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Why do they even put the "Change Manual Transmission Oil" on there?
__________________
2018 M3, Mineral White, 6 speed, ZCP, loaded sans CCB
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
ObsidianX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 (LBB, 6MT)
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Do you have a link to the 2017 version of this document?
__________________
2017 BMW M2 (LBB, 6MT)
2011 BMW 335i xDrive (N55)
2006 BMW X3 3.0 (M54B30) - Sold 5/17
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
rich8566
Major
rich8566's Avatar
United_States
565
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Why do they even put the "Change Manual Transmission Oil" on there?
Because there are other M models on the right side of the M2/3/4 column in the table that get the gearbox oil change. M5 and M6 I think.
__________________
Current: 2017 ///M2 manual
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #7
_bmwdriver_
Private
_bmwdriver_'s Avatar
United_States
106
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Nice I wish I had this list when I took my M2 in for the break in service. The "Deactivate running in check" was the most interesting explanation I got from the BMW genius at my dealer.
__________________
Appreciate 1
rich8566565.00

      04-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
rich8566
Major
rich8566's Avatar
United_States
565
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _bmwdriver_ View Post
Nice I wish I had this list when I took my M2 in for the break in service. The "Deactivate running in check" was the most interesting explanation I got from the BMW genius at my dealer.
I'd still like to know in English what "Deactivate running in check" actually means.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: 2017 ///M2 manual
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
dtmurf
Lieutenant
dtmurf's Avatar
197
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: (US M2 in) Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Is the running-in service at 1200 miles something you just keep track of or do you get some kind of indication on the display(s), even if only on start up?

If there is an indication of some kind, maybe 'deactivate running in check' just means resetting it and making sure it doesn't come back on...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
doug_999's Avatar
1577
Rep
3,202
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Is the running-in service at 1200 miles something you just keep track of or do you get some kind of indication on the display(s), even if only on start up?

If there is an indication of some kind, maybe 'deactivate running in check' just means resetting it and making sure it doesn't come back on...
Your iDrive screen has an indicator on it - that is there from the day you pick up the car until they tell the car the 1,200 mile inspection has been done. I never noticed it, my dealer pointed it out to me.
__________________
2018 M3, Mineral White, 6 speed, ZCP, loaded sans CCB
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
Appreciate 1
dtmurf196.50

      01-20-2019, 06:11 AM   #11
gregnesbitt
N54 and S55
gregnesbitt's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2019 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Break in question

I am taking delivery of my M2c at the Spartanburg Performance Center in two weeks. I logged into my car and see that it has 13 miles on it. That seems high. I am not worried about the miles, but is there any way to have confidence that someone in the process was not hooning around in it tapping the rev limiter during break-in? I plan to keep this car a long time and want to break it in the right way.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
doug_999
Brigadier General
doug_999's Avatar
1577
Rep
3,202
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnesbitt View Post
I am taking delivery of my M2c at the Spartanburg Performance Center in two weeks. I logged into my car and see that it has 13 miles on it. That seems high. I am not worried about the miles, but is there any way to have confidence that someone in the process was not hooning around in it tapping the rev limiter during break-in? I plan to keep this car a long time and want to break it in the right way.
No

However, only BMW employees or BMW contractors have touched your car since it arrived in SC. And I bet there are cameras everywhere down there.

So.. if some yahoo beat the crap out of your car,he or she was probably fired.

Does that help you feel better?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
2PUTT
Captain
299
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: F87
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ubiquitous

iTrader: (4)

just had this done today. oil/filter and rear diff fluid were dropped and replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
hyperrift
Private
30
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: Honda
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

This 1200 mile service is free with no charge, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
m20e3087
Captain
m20e3087's Avatar
United_States
305
Rep
601
Posts

Drives: 19 M2C
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
This 1200 mile service is free with no charge, right?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #16
gregnesbitt
N54 and S55
gregnesbitt's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2019 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
No

However, only BMW employees or BMW contractors have touched your car since it arrived in SC. And I bet there are cameras everywhere down there.

So.. if some yahoo beat the crap out of your car,he or she was probably fired.

Does that help you feel better?
Yes.... Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #17
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
318
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnesbitt View Post
I am taking delivery of my M2c at the Spartanburg Performance Center in two weeks. I logged into my car and see that it has 13 miles on it. That seems high. I am not worried about the miles, but is there any way to have confidence that someone in the process was not hooning around in it tapping the rev limiter during break-in? I plan to keep this car a long time and want to break it in the right way.
For what it's worth I picked up mine down there an it had 11 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #18
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
449
Rep
480
Posts

Drives: F87 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

2.1 miles on my car at delivery in Boston
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 12:48 AM   #19
chris719
Colonel
2211
Rep
2,821
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Those of you with M2C should make sure they are bleeding the intercooler reservoir. That is an S55 thing. It would not surprise me if that gets missed or confused.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #20
doug_999
Brigadier General
doug_999's Avatar
1577
Rep
3,202
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Those of you with M2C should make sure they are bleeding the intercooler reservoir. That is an S55 thing. It would not surprise me if that gets missed or confused.
I don't think that is done by the dealer?
__________________
2018 M3, Mineral White, 6 speed, ZCP, loaded sans CCB
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #21
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
318
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Does anyone have a copy of a repair order for this service? I brought in my M2C today and the parts list seems to only include the things related to an oil change. Nothing for the rear diff and certainly no mention of bleeding the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #22
nioh_lbbm2
Captain
596
Rep
968
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
Does anyone have a copy of a repair order for this service? I brought in my M2C today and the parts list seems to only include the things related to an oil change. Nothing for the rear diff and certainly no mention of bleeding the reservoir.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1474990078

Lmk if that link doesn't work. There should be a line item for SAF-XJ which is the diff fluid
Appreciate 1
GoHerd22.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST