BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Simple way to decrease turbo lag?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
84
Rep
301
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Simple way to decrease turbo lag?

I have a 2018 M2 with downpipe, dinan exhaust, dinan intake, charge pipe, intercooler, and bm3 tune. What's the easiest and most cost effective way to decrease turbo lag? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 12:47 AM   #2
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1146
Rep
1,721
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
I have a 2018 M2 with downpipe, dinan exhaust, dinan intake, charge pipe, intercooler, and bm3 tune. What's the easiest and most cost effective way to decrease turbo lag? Thanks.
Some things off the top of my head.

GFB diverter valve+ may help

Adjusting the burble settings to make them last longer may help.

Adding nitrous may help
__________________
Click "Appreciate" on my post if I was helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:23 AM   #3
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
76
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

GFB DV+, downpipe, and inlet pipe MAY help but that's about it. Might as well get an NA car if you feel there is too much lag with a stock turbo M2.
__________________
Current - 2018 M2 | VRSF Chargepipe | VRSF Catless Downpipe | Dinan Catback | Turner Motorsports Intake

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Captain
599
Rep
972
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Your inter cooler might introduce lag depending on which one you went with. Some are better than others
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Twt
Lieutenant
Twt's Avatar
491
Rep
599
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
I have a 2018 M2 with downpipe, dinan exhaust, dinan intake, charge pipe, intercooler, and bm3 tune. What's the easiest and most cost effective way to decrease turbo lag? Thanks.
I put on the Wagner 1 competition ( smallest)FMIC in order to minimize lag. I have tracked the car 50 plus times and really like this set up...minimal lag. I think everyone, like Dinan is chasing the bigger is better mod but it introduces lag unless you upgrade the turbo.
Appreciate 4
Poochie3952.50
TomAce67.00
JTO242485.00

      02-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
chief1richard's Avatar
United_States
194
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [0.00]
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I put on the Wagner 1 competition ( smallest)FMIC in order to minimize lag. I have tracked the car 50 plus times and really like this set up...minimal lag. I think everyone, like Dinan is chasing the bigger is better mod but it introduces lag unless you upgrade the turbo.
When I upgraded my stock intercooler I went with one that was 60% more capacity than stock. Higher capacity ones I was considering were much higher. I have no noticable Turbo Lag, and am glad I kept it conservative.
__________________
At a Point above 7,000 RPM.
Appreciate 1
JTO242485.00

      02-15-2020, 01:22 AM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
526
Rep
2,632
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (2)

Given your mods so far, for sure the GFB DV+ will make a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 01:28 AM   #8
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
59
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Ive heard great things about Turbosmarts diverter valve
Appreciate 1
Wattens30.00

      02-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
Thevesh
Enlisted Member
Thevesh's Avatar
Czech_Republic
14
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Ive heard great things about Turbosmarts diverter valve
Do you mean this:
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/k...vr2-dual-port/

I wonder how this works..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #10
magha
Lieutenant
magha's Avatar
78
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

i have the race VRSF FMIC and it did end up leading to a fair bit of turbo lag but after having installed the GFB DV+ the lag issue seems to have subsided a lot! throttle response is much much improved and you get a nice whoosh when letting off the throttle.
__________________

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 1
gphung27.00

      02-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #11
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
84
Rep
301
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Thanks all. Can someone school me what the GFB DV+ actually does? How hard is it to install? Also, does it put much stress on the turbo or any other downsides?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #12
detroitm2
Major
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1386
Rep
1,482
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
Thanks all. Can someone school me what the GFB DV+ actually does? How hard is it to install? Also, does it put much stress on the turbo or any other downsides?
The stock diverter valve effectively dumps all the boost pressure. The DV+ maintains some of that pressure so you do not get as much turbo lag. It's also made of bullet aluminum and will most likely outlive your car.

As far as I'm aware, it'd a bit of a bitch to install due it its location on the turbo.

I have one sitting in my garage that my local shop is installing next week with a ton of other parts. I opted to let them due it since they were already doing other work for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #13
magha
Lieutenant
magha's Avatar
78
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

yea is a bitch to do as it sits right on the turbo.took my mechanic a solid 4 hrs but also got the turbo to IC pipe installed (which you may as well do since you're there)
__________________

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #14
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
84
Rep
301
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

I appreciate the advice. Frustrating it's so hard to install. Will prob pass as I would have to have the shop do it and not sure I want to pay all that money. Anything else that is easier to install which might help?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
59
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651084&page=2

Turbosmart BOV is the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1146
Rep
1,721
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651084&page=2

Turbosmart BOV is the ticket.
I don't understand why people talk these up. Aren't they pneumatic, meaning they vent slower than the OEM and DV+ options. Also aren't they binary open/close, meaning they won't decrease lag as the progressive DV+ would? Also they have one single port option, which vents entirely to atmostphere, leading to increased lag. The other dual port option vents partially to atmosphere, which still leads to more lag over the OEM and DV+ option which don't vent to atmosphere at all. I may be wrong, but the turbosmart options seem catered more towards turbo sounds than actual improved performance.
__________________
Click "Appreciate" on my post if I was helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #17
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
59
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I don't understand why people talk these up. Aren't they pneumatic, meaning they vent slower than the OEM and DV+ options. Also aren't they binary open/close, meaning they won't decrease lag as the progressive DV+ would? Also they have one single port option, which vents entirely to atmostphere, leading to increased lag. The other dual port option vents partially to atmosphere, which still leads to more lag over the OEM and DV+ option which don't vent to atmosphere at all. I may be wrong, but the turbosmart options seem catered more towards turbo sounds than actual improved performance.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1695176

Hmm, itís like everything you said was wrong, including noting the plum back model vents entirely to the atmosphere (it doesnít) increases lag (it doesnít) and that itís somehow inferior to the dV+ (Some people have reported better performance when they switched from the DV+)

Letís just request logs and compare them and not just hand wave it away without any evidence

Last edited by AmuroRay; 02-16-2020 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
gphung27.00

      02-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #18
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1146
Rep
1,721
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1695176

Hmm, it’s like everything you said was wrong, including noting the plum back model vents entirely to the atmosphere (it doesn’t) increases lag (it doesn’t) and that it’s somehow inferior to the dV+ (Some people have reported better performance when they switched from the DV+)

Let’s just request logs and compare them and not just hand wave it away without any evidence
See, this is the same thing I run into every time I ask questions or seek clarification about this product. Everyone just says "you are wrong" without providing any evidence to prove otherwise and starts some argument against me for asking questions about the thing. I am talking about the actual hardware of the device, so it should be easy to prove wrong that it's not pneumatic, that it's not binary, and that it doesn't vent entirely to atmosphere. Everything that I state is also facts about the hardware limitations of how the BOV works. Pneumatic valves are inherently slower than electronic ones. Venting entirely to atmostphere or partially to atmosphere both inherently induce lag, as opposed to the OEM and DV+ which divert boost back into the system. Binary systems also lose valuable boost compared to progressive systems. There are all physical facts based on hardware. This isn't something you need logs for, you can look at how it's made.
__________________
Click "Appreciate" on my post if I was helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #19
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
59
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
See, this is the same thing I run into every time I ask questions or seek clarification about this product. Everyone just says "you are wrong" without providing any evidence to prove otherwise and starts some argument against me for asking questions about the thing. I am talking about the actual hardware of the device, so it should be easy to prove wrong that it's not pneumatic, that it's not binary, and that it doesn't vent entirely to atmosphere. Everything that I state is also facts about the hardware limitations of how the BOV works. Pneumatic valves are inherently slower than electronic ones. Venting entirely to atmostphere or partially to atmosphere both inherently induce lag, as opposed to the OEM and DV+ which divert boost back into the system. Binary systems also lose valuable boost compared to progressive systems. There are all physical facts based on hardware. This isn't something you need logs for, you can look at how it's made.
But everything you said isnít true - you have no proof this valve is lower than the stock valve - you are incorrect that it vents to the atmosphere (they have a plumb back version that vents back into the intake)

So yes, I am being dismissive because you have zero first hand knowledge of the product, if not incorrect information and youíre speaking in definitive terms.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #20
ZM2
Lieutenant Colonel
1061
Rep
1,691
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

The video on the F30 forum link has some subjective feedback on GFB vs Turbosmart.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #21
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1146
Rep
1,721
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
But everything you said isn’t true - you have no proof this valve is lower than the stock valve - you are incorrect that it vents to the atmosphere (they have a plumb back version that vents back into the intake)

So yes, I am being dismissive because you have zero first hand knowledge of the product, if not incorrect information and you’re speaking in definitive terms.
I don't recall saying the valve is "lower than the stock valve" I don't even know what that means. If you're talking about me saying the turbosmart valve is inferior to the DV+ and OEM options... I did not say that either. I said that the mechanical differences I believe the turbosmart valve has are inferior the the DV+ and OEM options. If the mechanical difference I am seeing are incorrect, then the valve might not be inferior. There is a very distinct difference there, because they way you are taking it is making you get defensive. Thinking I am talking down on a product you like, when I am simply asking for clarifications.

"Everything you said isn't true" isn't a convincing argument. I went on turbosmart's website and see that the plumb back version does divert back into the system, so I was wrong about that. Would've been a ton easier if you had just showed me instead saying "you are wrong" without that. Which was only because the last thread about this product the guy was going on about how it vents entirely to atmosphere and how the turbosmart plumb back is superior because it vents to atmosphere. Which yes, in some cases a valve that vents to atmosphere is superior, but that's only when running HUGE turbos that need to vent off massive amounts of boost immediately. Our cars do not fit that criteria.

I've also emailed turbosmart for clarification about the binary venting and the actuation and got no response. The answer is simply... someone from turbosmart needs to come out and explain their products. And no the answer isn't "buy it and find out for yourself so you have first hand experience" Yes, I must also buy the tree sap acne medication so I will learn first hand that it works, instead of asking questions to become an educated consumer before putting my money places and putting questionable things on my face... smh

And I really do not see how "I am speaking in definitive terms" when from the very beginning I sought clarification on the hardware of the device. I speak definitively about the effects of such hardware, but I do not speak definitely about what hardware and how the BOV operates. Go back at my posts. They have question marks at the end of my sentences.

On top of the hardware clarifications I have, I am also unsure and believe the turbosmart valve will throw a CEL. The DME has set values that it reads to know the DV is functioning properly, something like the turbosmart valve is likely to confuse the system and give a CEL. The DV+ valve even can give a CEL if run in a certain configuration on the main spring. But at least the DV+ has the option to change the spring config to avoid this... turbosmart does not.
__________________
Click "Appreciate" on my post if I was helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-16-2020 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:12 AM   #22
David.m
Second Lieutenant
121
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
I have a 2018 M2 with downpipe, dinan exhaust, dinan intake, charge pipe, intercooler, and bm3 tune. What's the easiest and most cost effective way to decrease turbo lag? Thanks.
Just wondering if you're car is DCT or manual? Manual's have a software caused delay with WOT shifts, feels like turbo lag but isn't. Fix is to hold wot to 6K+ rpm then shift.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST