BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > do i need a tune

01-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
bluem2
Private
Rep
Drives: lbb m2

do i need a tune

Hi all,
I currently have fabspeed sports cat and remus catback exhaust with BMC drop in filter on my N55 M2.
I m considering to replace the oem boost and charge pipes as the charge pipe has already failed once on me. Once I install the boost and charge pipes will I be required to have a tune? or keeping the factory tune is suffice?
sorry as I am a novice at this field
thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

No but if you want more power it'll give you that
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem2 View Post
Hi all,
I currently have fabspeed sports cat and remus catback exhaust with BMC drop in filter on my N55 M2.
I m considering to replace the oem boost and charge pipes as the charge pipe has already failed once on me. Once I install the boost and charge pipes will I be required to have a tune? or keeping the factory tune is suffice?
thanks in advance
The engine ECU can adapt to these small changes. However to get the most out of them you need a tune. The ECU is torque request based so hardware mods only add a tiny tiny power improvement without remapping.

Since you have a sport cat you can probably go to stage 2. Unless you track then you probably need an intercooler.
      02-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

I have the fabspeed sport cat, their bypass exhaust, CSF Intercooler, VSRF Charge pipe and the VF engineering hex stage 2 tune. Couldnt be happier. Exhaust sound is a completely subjective thing, but the Fabspeed bypass exhaust mixed with the GTS burble from the VF tune is enough to wake the dead. Personally I love it, but it's not for everyone.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      02-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi all,
thanks in advance
The answer is, no.

The only thing you have listed that makes any appreciable difference is the sport cat, and you don't need a tune for that at all. The exhaust and charge pipe make no difference whatsoever.

Having said that, as stated above, you can certainly benefit from a tune without any mods at all, and even more because of your sport cat. I'd hold off on the tune until you get the charge pipe though, just to be safe.

Lastly, Stage 1 is where you're going to want to be without an intercooler. You CAN run Stage 2 without an intercooler, but most suggest not to.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #6
bluem2
Private
Rep
Drives: lbb m2

thanks everyone, I just don't want to do too much that will give more chances for warranty issues. thus don't really want to get into tuning it if I don't have to. maybe one day when the warranty period is over
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
thanks everyone, I just don't want to do too much that will give more chances for warranty issues. thus don't really want to get into tuning it if I don't have to. maybe one day when the warranty period is over
Let me know if i can help with the charge pipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0