BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Who has used Dr. Colorchip before PPF?

04-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Who has used Dr. Colorchip before PPF?

I have a 2018 M2 with 19K miles on it, metallic grey. Love it. The guy I bought it from did ppf on the front bumper and left factory stuff on the rear panel. However, I'm getting road rash on the rear quarter panels and am thinking about having the hood ppf'd plus part of the rear quarter panels. They recommend Dr. Colorchip to fix the road rash but kind of nervous to smear paint on the rear quarter panel and hood.

Anyone use Dr. Colorchip over an area with lost of little road rash dots? How did it come out? PPF will go on over it afterwards.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I use Dr Colorchip all the time. In fact, I just got done with a couple touch-ups. It works fine, just as good as any other touch up paint, and really, what are your alternatives except a repaint?
      04-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Dr Colorchip is what I use too. There is a little bit of a trick to filling the hole where the chip or rash is but once you figure it out, you can make most chips literally disappear. I’ve corrected chips that I couldn’t subsequently find again. Not all turn out perfect but definitely 100x better than bare metal or primer. There are lots of YouTube videos that show you how.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 01:32 AM   #4
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
I'm probably gonna buy Dr Colorchip to fix some small chips.

You guys know if that "Step 2 SealAct" bottle is gonna ruin ceramic pain coating?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post

You guys know if that "Step 2 SealAct" bottle is gonna ruin ceramic pain coating?
Have you contacted Dr Colorchip with that question? I think that's where I'd start just so you're getting it straight from the manufacturer.
      05-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SConn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post

Have you contacted Dr Colorchip with that question? I think that's where I'd start just so you're getting it straight from the manufacturer.
Yes, I shot them a pm also and they responded that it will not affect the ceramic coating.
Appreciate 1
Altra265.50
      05-13-2019, 01:34 AM   #7
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
It will, if you soak it in that thing. I had the detailer who applied the ceramic coating use the Dr. Colorchip kit and they screwed up.

They used small pads to apply the solution that removes the residue. They let it sit too much. And now in different lighting conditions those areas look lighter. BSM paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Dr Colorchip is what I use too. There is a little bit of a trick to filling the hole where the chip or rash is but once you figure it out, you can make most chips literally disappear. I’ve corrected chips that I couldn’t subsequently find again. Not all turn out perfect but definitely 100x better than bare metal or primer. There are lots of YouTube videos that show you how.
C1pher, what is your trick? I love Dr Colorchip and they do a great job in paint matching. But even though it makes rock chips harder to see, in some lighting, you can easily tell the touchups are there, not because of a color mismatch, but because the touchup doesnt completely fill the divot and you can see the difference in paint levels.. . IOW, you can easily tell there's a divot there even though the color matches..

So, is your 'trick' anything more than applying loads and loads of paint-sealact-remove cycles? (which can be very time consuming but ultimately yield better results)
      05-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
C1pher, what is your trick? I love Dr Colorchip and they do a great job in paint matching. But even though it makes rock chips harder to see, in some lighting, you can easily tell the touchups are there, not because of a color mismatch, but because the touchup doesnt completely fill the divot and you can see the difference in paint levels.. . IOW, you can easily tell there's a divot there even though the color matches..

So, is your 'trick' anything more than applying loads and loads of paint-sealact-remove cycles? (which can be very time consuming but ultimately yield better results)
Somewhat accurate. I first make sure everything is wax free, using soap and alcohol to ensure, I’m down to the paint in the actual hole. Then I put some paint in the hole, trying to cover with the smallest brush, then put some paint to the side of the hole. I use the silicone squeegee to slide that paint across the hole. Then I let dry as usual. Normally I do pretty good with completely filling the divot. However, if I don’t, I repeat the process a second time.

On solid paints, you can get 99.5%, with metallic I’d say more like 95% just simply because of the metal flake pattern and how it was applied from the factory cannot be matched. The only way to really do that is to repaint the whole panel but then of course you will see the panel not blend with the other panels lol.
Appreciate 2
boostm3683.00
CSBM52695.50
      05-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Somewhat accurate. I first make sure everything is wax free, using soap and alcohol to ensure, I’m down to the paint in the actual hole. Then I put some paint in the hole, trying to cover with the smallest brush, then put some paint to the side of the hole. I use the silicone squeegee to slide that paint across the hole. Then I let dry as usual. Normally I do pretty good with completely filling the divot. However, if I don’t, I repeat the process a second time.

On solid paints, you can get 99.5%, with metallic I’d say more like 95% just simply because of the metal flake pattern and how it was applied from the factory cannot be matched. The only way to really do that is to repaint the whole panel but then of course you will see the panel not blend with the other panels lol.
Sounds like a good procedure. After you squeegee, do you wait a couple of minutes and then hit it with the Sealact as prescribed to remove the smear? I find that to be the trickiest part, to remove the smear without removing paint from the divot. To make that easier Ive seen some methods where a good amount of wax is applied surrounding the divot to make it easier to remove the smear with Sealact without having to rub so hard yielding a better chance for the paint to remain in the divot.
      05-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You really need to wait at least ten minutes. If you don’t wait long enough, the paint will just come right off.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
I have a 2018 M2 with 19K miles on it, metallic grey. Love it. The guy I bought it from did ppf on the front bumper and left factory stuff on the rear panel. However, I'm getting road rash on the rear quarter panels and am thinking about having the hood ppf'd plus part of the rear quarter panels. They recommend Dr. Colorchip to fix the road rash but kind of nervous to smear paint on the rear quarter panel and hood.

Anyone use Dr. Colorchip over an area with lost of little road rash dots? How did it come out? PPF will go on over it afterwards.

Thanks.
So to confirm, we can use Dr. Colorchip prior to PPF? I've used Colorchip on my Jet black e46 M with much success in the past, but I also didn't buy that car new, so it was easier to justify using touch up paint!

I just finished ED, and got a handful of rock chips in my LBB paint - mostly front bumper, but one on the passenger fender as well. Planning to do full front PPF and some additional coverage over the rear quarters to expand what it came with from the factory. Fingers crossed BMW might just fix the chips on their own, as it seems from researching on this forum, some minor ED damage has been taken care of at VPC while in route for re-delivery - I guess time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #13
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

Is this better than the BMW paint repair kit?
      10-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
Is this better than the BMW paint repair kit?
I feel it is superior to anything a manufacturer provides for the typical owner. Manufacturer supplied paint is really for someone who is going to prep, sand and then paint (if you want best results) which can be harrowing unless you’re a professional autobody/detail person.

I mean I’ve seen the little paint pens and all I feel they are good for is covering a scratch when all you want is to cover it and not care about blending as best as possible.

With Dr. Colorchip, most of the time I struggle to relocate chips I have repaired using their solution.
Appreciate 0