BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Extended Warranty, worth it?

08-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #45
frosty2k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

If you plan on doing any mods don't bother. I'm a wuss so until the base warranty is up I'm leaving it stock, then doing a few mild upgrades.

Most of the issues will appear during the basic warranty, or long past the extended, unless it's a full on lemon. See E60 M5 or C5 RS6. Since the parts in the M2C have been used elsewhere for some time I think we would see the issues coming if it was a lemon.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #46
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
S55s have been known to spin a crank hub here and there
i dont believe this has ever been verified on a stock motor. was always the story of a friend of a friend
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #47
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
i dont believe this has ever been verified on a stock motor. was always the story of a friend of a friend
It's been documented on stock engines several times on the F80/F82 forum. I think it even happened to a stock M2C already.
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4449.00
      08-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #48
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
S55s have been known to spin a crank hub here and there
It happen to pilot-z's car.

New Engine required... https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1619830
      08-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #49
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

The Crank hub issue is overblown. 1) Statistically the chances are that it will never happen to your car. 2) If it does happen, often the timing slips a bit and the light comes on. You will need the crank hub repaired but the engine is usually not ruined.

I would stash the $6,000. away and forget about the warranty. If you are out of warranty you can take the car to a 3rd party BMW mechanic and get the car repaired for a fraction of the cost of the Stealer service dept.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 08-09-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #50
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
The Crank hub issue is overblown. 1) Statistically the chances are it will never happen to your car. 2) If it does happen, most of the time the timing slips a bit and the light comes on. You will need it repaired but the engine is usually ruined.

I would stash the $6,000. away and forget about the warranty. If you are out of warranty you can take the car to a 3rd party BMW mechanic and get the car repaired for a fraction of the cost of the Stealer service dept.
Or negotiate the price down to something you are comfortable with.
Another thing to keep in mind, is that the electronics are not covered in the base warranty. So if your iDrive screen goes out... That warranty would have been nice to have.

I negotiated the price of the warranty and the price of the car. I essentially paid $1k for 84,000 miles / 7 year warranty.

That to me, is totally worth it. 6k? Yeah I'd pass at that price as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #51
diggis_tennis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i Msport

i'd say it can come in handy. I have an extended warranty from route 66 ($2000) or so for my 5 series for 5 years / 125k miles total from the day of purchase and I have already used up its worth. In fact i used up 80% of its worth in 2 months of purchasing it. And these warranties are transferable so you can use it as a resale measure. If you plan to own the car beyond the manufactures warranty this is not a big ticket item (considering how much mods, ppf and M parts cost)..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:57 AM   #52
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The extended warranty is not worth it; there are tons of exclusion, even with the factory warranty, most stuff are a hit or miss that it would actually be covered.

I'm morally-flexible and do what I got to do to get stuff covered, yet I still encounter pushback for even the most obvious defects.

What I've notice is the dealer and the said insurer would find the most irrelevant reasons to weasel their way out of paying for even the most legitimate claims.

The best route is to put side a reserve savings or a credit card with a high enough spending limit and keep it as backup, in the case of a needed repair.

You'll thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #53
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post

He threw a rod bearing. Different than a spun crank hub no?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #54
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post

He threw a rod bearing. Different than a spun crank hub no?
I meant #FSU_Logan in the thread.
      08-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #55
raywai2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Many people speak of Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance and I have been thinking about that as well. Geico probably has tons of breakage (from people not continuing their plans or selling their cars early) to help fund the low premium cost. But my worry is that yes they charge less than $50/6 months when the car is new, but what about after the factory warranty has expired? Will the Geico premium go up (like a lot more) once the car gets old and you ended up paying somewhat close (consider there's a deductible) to a heavily discounted factory extended warranty in aggregate. Anyone had GMBI past the factory warranty and what's the GMBI premium compared to when new?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:33 AM   #56
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raywai2 View Post
Many people speak of Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance and I have been thinking about that as well. Geico probably has tons of breakage (from people not continuing their plans or selling their cars early) to help fund the low premium cost. But my worry is that yes they charge less than $50/6 months when the car is new, but what about after the factory warranty has expired? Will the Geico premium go up (like a lot more) once the car gets old and you ended up paying somewhat close (consider there's a deductible) to a heavily discounted factory extended warranty in aggregate. Anyone had GMBI past the factory warranty and what's the GMBI premium compared to when new?
This thread might help you, I recommend it..

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1495984

Recently, my friend's kid sippy cup got stuck under my seat, which when the easy enter/exit seat was retracting, consequently jammed and broke the seat frame, which is conveniently made out of a feeble plastic.

The dealer refuse to cover it but Geico MBI paid the whole bill of $1,085 and it only cost me a $250 deductible. Hassle free as paying cash for a repair.

It's good to have as a back-up, Incase the dealer denies your claim for any arbitrary reasons. Which in my experience is a 50/50 chance..

Last edited by Poochie; 08-15-2019 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #57
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Recently, my friend's kid sippy cup got stuck under my seat, which when the easy enter/exit seat was retracting, consequently jammed and broke the seat frame, which is conveniently made out of a feeble plastic.

The dealer refuse to cover it but Geico MBI paid the whole bill of $1,085 and it only cost me a $250 deductible. Hassle free as paying cash for a repair.

It's good to have as a back-up, Incase the dealer denies your claim for any arbitrary reasons. Which in my experience is a 50/50 chance..
If Geico hadn't quoted me $300/mo for bottom of the barrel insurance, I would have loved to get their mechanical insurance on top of it.

I'm 40. No accidents. No tickets. Fuck you Geico.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      08-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #58
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
Quote:

If Geico hadn't quoted me $300/mo for bottom of the barrel insurance, I would have loved to get their mechanical insurance on top of it.

I'm 40. No accidents. No tickets. Fuck you Geico.
That's odd they're that expensive unless you live in a right risk area like NYC, Miami or Southern California.

They're pretty reasonable otherwise; I recommend them for anyone with a reasonable clean driving record..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #59
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's odd they're that expensive unless you live in a right risk area like NYC, Miami or Southern California.

They're pretty reasonable otherwise; I recommend them for anyone with a reasonable clean driving record..
I'm not sure what their reason was. Progressive gave me the same coverage for $118/mo. Totally reasonable, but honestly I'd like to pay $0 hehe.

They did say they go back 10 years for driving history though. Which is total bullshit. 16yr old driver vs a 26yr old driver is a completely different scenario.

I didn't even think that was legal... But maybe they were just trying to make excuses for their shit quote.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #60
Retro707
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

people need to understand that there is not "set" time for things to go wrong. They can go wrong any time, anywhere any place. Technology is huge! cant maintain tech at home, and labor is expensive when most items are proprietary to the manufacturer. Labor will be the most expensive thing you'll pay for long term. Your everyday driving can also affect the performance of things. For example, what if you hit a pot hole? then that causes issues down the road etc. You cannot predict what will happen and when/how. A car is not something you can just say "oh i'll just go grab another". If you can afford an extra 30-40 a month for peace of mind, why risk paying 1000's in the future?
Appreciate 0