BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > ..because this group will feel my anguish

10-20-2021, 12:48 AM   #23
MVista
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp.

Garage List
Fuck that hurts. Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:48 AM   #24
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

It happens, the power of the earth…

When ever I think to be more careful things happen, park under a tree for some shade, freak t storm causes a tree branch to fall on the roof, taking the calm way home a random deer jumps in front

parking on the top floor of any garage attracts ass holes trying to 3 point turn (U turn) kissing my bumper

We keep a sacrifice car for errands, strangely it's a cream puff, never hit or damaged when it's parked
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post
thanks to all of you for your condolences. I really don't want to think someone purposely did that, and there was a slight downward slope to the lot (certainly now something to consider). But these days I suppose those people exist.

But I am more worried this whole panel is "f'd" - this is right on the fold and is maybe 3" tall and pretty deep. Not sure a good DPR person fixes this... Or can they? There's a good dent/fold also underneath this towards the skirt which literally has a gash thru it and is bent out at the wheelwell.

I'm heartbroken.
That's absolutely brutal, man, so sorry to see this. This would ruin anyone's day. Hope to see the car repaired and back to as good as new
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #26
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I've found that trying to blend in with the general populace of cars helps to reduce the amount of potential incidents. Parking out in the open, actually attracts MORE attention to the M2 whereas parking in between two cars helps to hide and protect it.

The downside is that you're more at risk for door dings...Ideally you'll be able to find an end spot that's bookended by just one other car with ample space between you.
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3901.00
      10-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #27
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
I've found that trying to blend in with the general populace of cars helps to reduce the amount of potential incidents. Parking out in the open, actually attracts MORE attention to the M2 whereas parking in between two cars helps to hide and protect it.

The downside is that you're more at risk for door dings...Ideally you'll be able to find an end spot that's bookended by just one other car with ample space between you.
I would be at the PDR place every week. I will keep parking out of the way and avoiding dings and dents.

However I do have a camera in the car, actually 2 of them that record for about 24 hours so if someone vandalizes the car at least I will have a video of it.
Appreciate 2
akkando5863.00
///M TOWN16183.00
      10-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #28
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
F*** that shitty human! Wind didnt move that, the slope of the lot and a shitty human did. Hope you get it back to a 100%
There are many people out there that *don't care* that their cart placement did that.

-"They have the money to fix it"
-"It's just a car"

That's the mentality.

Hope you get this sorted soon. My PDR contact here is extremely good and experienced and would tell you the honest truth of what to expect for outcome.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 4
akkando5863.00
stefan2349.50
      10-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #29
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
Damn! That sucks!

People who don't return their carts are terrible. I like Aldi's process where you check out a cart for a quarter and get a refund when you return it. You never see carts in the wild in parking lots.
I was listening to a totally non-car related podcast earlier and one of the hosts said something along the lines of "Returning shopping carts to the proper place is the truest test of one's morality. There are literally zero consequences for leaving them in the parking lot, yet we all know it is wrong to do so."

I'm really sorry to the OP, I would be crushed in such a situation. Hope Home Depot steps up and covers the cost as they probably should. At least it's a fixable problem, even if its going to be a PITA.
Appreciate 4
Tag18135.50
      10-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #30
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I was listening to a totally non-car related podcast earlier and one of the hosts said something along the lines of "Returning shopping carts to the proper place is the truest test of one's morality. There are literally zero consequences for leaving them in the parking lot, yet we all know it is wrong to do so."

I'm really sorry to the OP, I would be crushed in such a situation. Hope Home Depot steps up and covers the cost as they probably should. At least it's a fixable problem, even if its going to be a PITA.
I’ve heard the same thing, can’t pinpoint where though. But I agree 100%.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #31
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Ouch bad luck op.

A good bodyshop will fix it. No need for a new quarter that's a major operation / interior strip out in itself and would still need spraying anyway.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 06:30 AM   #32
dmcM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

I work nights for a major grocery chain, last week at 130am everyone's phone goes off for tornado warning. They all though I was weird for running outside and gathering up anything that was loose in the parking lot and put them in corals so they'd have to be blown uphill to even get out of the corals. I wasn't taking any chances with carts being blown into my car. Sorry about your luck man.
Appreciate 3
BigKutta3901.00
CSBM52721.00
      10-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #33
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

*update* - USAA adjuster (by way of "Service King") submitted an estimate to "repair" both the crater in the quarter panel (which sits right on the accent fold), and the gash in the plastic skirt. Needless to say, I'm taking it to my own body shop to get a proper estimate. My only concern is the availability of these parts via OEM.
Appreciate 2
(K)1269.00
wjones14650.50
      10-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #34
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:

I always return the cart, even when the weather is terrible and the cart return is far away. Otherwise I feel like I'm being an inconsiderate ahole. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a surprised look on peoples faces after I return the cart and they see me get into a bimmer. Guess they expect all bimmer drivers to be jerks, but if I can change one persons mind at a time it's worth it.
Appreciate 5
smknjoe234.00
Moflow2484.50
AKD75.50
      10-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #35
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:

I always return the cart, even when the weather is terrible and the cart return is far away. Otherwise I feel like I'm being an inconsiderate ahole. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a surprised look on peoples faces after I return the cart and they see me get into a bimmer. Guess they expect all bimmer drivers to be jerks, but if I can change one persons mind at a time it's worth it.
They are just surprised that you returned the cart at all.

I get confused looks too sometimes…even when in my "beater" VW.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #36
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Oh man, I was sickened when I saw this and it's not even my car! So sorry it happened.

Unless you keep the car in the garage all the time, there's potential every time you leave the house that something could happen. No way to mitigate every possible risk. Most of us take every precaution possible like park in end spots, etc., but other people will always do unexpected careless (or sometimes malicious) things.

Hopefully it will be fixed to your satisfaction and not noticeable once it's done.
      10-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #37
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post

Doing the right action usually begets the right reaction. If I could change one person's view when I put away a cart in the stall then that's a positive effect.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #38
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Pretty sure this or getting your car stolen is every car enthusiast's worst nightmare.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 07:38 AM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

Is it really though? IMHO, it doesn't make you a better person or anything like that, to me that's the minimum that should be expected from anyone. Whether it's so that it doesn't damage other people's property like the OP's, or if it's so that the guy working at the grocery store for peanuts doesn't have to walk further, it's the right thing to do. There ARE consequences.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Enabled1406.00
      10-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #40
GregInNewMexico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:

I imagine I get confused looks driving a BMW and using my turn signal.

To the OP: I hope it is repaired back to 100%.
2006 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #41
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Is it really though? IMHO, it doesn't make you a better person or anything like that, to me that's the minimum that should be expected from anyone. Whether it's so that it doesn't damage other people's property like the OP's, or if it's so that the guy working at the grocery store for peanuts doesn't have to walk further, it's the right thing to do. There ARE consequences.
The "lack of consequences" is referring specifically a lack of consequences for the person making the choice, not for others. Apologies for my ambiguous writing/paraphrasing. It's just a way of saying "Are you willing to cause disproportionate pain to someone you will never meet, if it makes your life a little easier." If the answer is "yes," you might be a piece of shit.

That said, I'm not sure i believe in the very concept of "morality tests" as I don't think people are very consistent moment to moment. Anyway, sorry for taking us down a philosophical rabbit hole.
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      10-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #42
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Home Depot flat bed cart - left loose in the parking lot by some thoughtless human, got caught in the wind and found its way, violently, into my baby. (which was purposely parked in the last spot, furthest out).
My dent is bigger than yours and so was my pain
Attached Images

My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #43
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
My dent is bigger than yours and so was my pain
Damn, that must have been a HUGE cart!
      10-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #44
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
*update* - USAA adjuster (by way of "Service King") submitted an estimate to "repair" both the crater in the quarter panel (which sits right on the accent fold), and the gash in the plastic skirt. Needless to say, I'm taking it to my own body shop to get a proper estimate. My only concern is the availability of these parts via OEM.
Try a good paintless dent person. Replacing the entire rear panel is going to be a nightmares.
Appreciate 0