BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs Lotus Emira

06-08-2022, 01:55 AM   #67
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List

Why would anyone choose a Cayman over this! Love it. Would be a nice companion car to M2. One manual, one DCT.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #68
homemade_f81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i, 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post

Why would anyone choose a Cayman over this! Love it. Would be a nice companion car to M2. One manual, one DCT.
I absolutely love the design - especially in yellow, that would be my top choice. However, I'm rather disappointed in the weight...thought it would be lighter by more than 150 lbs and a lot closer to 3,000 lbs for the v6 manual. Would still love to test drive one - although I don't expect to, with all the supply chain issues and them being sold out for next couple years.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #69
Rapture1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Garage List
2018 Audi TTRS  [8.00]
2017 Porsche C4S  [9.50]
2011 BMW 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2007 Audi RS4  [5.50]
2004 VW R32  [6.50]
2021 M2 Competition  [9.50]
I have a deposit down on the Emira, though I was late to the game. It may be a while. On the positive side, I should be able to test drive one prior to buying.
      06-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #70
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

I thought I heard on a podcast that some of the reviews for the Lotus were not as good as they thought it would be.

Hard to beat the practicality of the M2. But the design of the Lotus is the bee's knees, damn stunning.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #71
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyPickle View Post
Just saw this thread. Currently own a 2022 M240i xdrive and first on a waitlist for the G87. Been spending a lot of time recently researching (what's available) the Emira. Now I'm a little torn and not sure.

Emira positives

- Absolutely gorgeous and will turn a lot of heads
- Very exclusive
- intoxicating exhaust sound, especially after tweaking it a bit
- hydraulic steering
- updated interior over the Evora w/ better tech
- mid engine
- curb weight

Negatives

- A bit lacking in raw performance (assuming it performs the same as the Evora 400 since they're virtually identical in weight and engine output)
- Lack of dealer network/support. Closest one is several hours away (Philadelphia is getting one in 2023 which would 2 hours away). They're are some shops not far that work on them.
- no rear seat or frunk (not a deal breaker)

I've been looking forward to the G87 as I see it as the more practical car while still being able to provide thrills on the road but the Emira is really making it hard. I'm sure the G87 will look nice and should perform a tad bit better than the Emira but it sure as hell won't look as good. I think how the Emira looks, will drive and the exclusivity of it is what is really attracting me to it.

If price was equal, I'd pick the Emira without thinking twice. Talked to a dealer and of course first editions are all spoken for but the waitlist for base cars isn't bad. In all likelihood, the Emira base V6 will probably end up costing roughly around 20K or so more than the G87 after both are specced. Just have to decide if it's worth it….
Well judging by some of the early reviews, doesn't seem like the Emira is even on par performance wise with the Evora 400. Sounds like it has gained weight due to the cabin upgrades as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:56 AM   #72
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Anyone considering adding the Emira as a third car? It's simply gorgeous, especially with the new colours released
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 02:50 PM   #73
M2CompKenny
Rep
Drives: M2C LBB

I took delivery of my Emira last January and rejected it a few months later, it was a great car to look at and drive when it was behaving itself, but it was riddled with issues.

It was an early car and they were known to have been partially built and then lay outside at the factory in the worst of the weather before being completed due to parts availability. I know people who are still having ECUs, wiring looms etc replaced due to corrosion. Mine also suffered from the common paint blistering issue, as well as a multitude of electrical faults.

The Lotus Customer Care department was a nightmare to deal with and they were an equal factor to the issues when it came to my decision to reject the car.

I'm glad that I got out of it when I did, as I received a full refund + PPF and ceramic coating costs. There's no shortage of second hand Emira's available here in the UK at considerably less than the initial cost.

It's a shame, as Lotus had an opportunity to bring a great car to the market and shake their reputation of old, but they clutched defeat from the jaws of victory with the Emira. It was my third brand new Lotus and it will be my last.

Last edited by M2CompKenny; 01-04-2024 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 3
///MPhatic13538.50
to_riffic3010.00
(K)1240.50
      01-04-2024, 05:10 PM   #74
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CompKenny View Post
I took delivery of my Emira last January and rejected it a few months later, it was a great car to look at and drive when it was behaving itself, but it was riddled with issues.

It was an early car and they were known to have been partially built and then lay outside at the factory in the worst of the weather before being completed due to parts availability. I know people who are still having ECUs, wiring looms etc replaced due to corrosion. Mine also suffered from the common paint blistering issue, as well as a multitude of electrical faults.

The Lotus Customer Care department was a nightmare to deal with and they were an equal factor to the issues when it came to my decision to reject the car.

I'm glad that I got out of it when I did, as I received a full refund + PPF and ceramic coating costs. There's no shortage of second hand Emira's available here in the UK at considerably less than the initial cost.

It's a shame, as Lotus had an opportunity to bring a great car to the market and shake their reputation of old, but they clutched defeat from the jaws of victory with the Emira. It was my third brand new Lotus and it will be my last.
Man that's terrible. Glad you got outta it. It was a sports car I wished it's success, but this sounded sad...

Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 08:32 PM   #75
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

That sucks to hear, the Emira V6 MT is on my short list of cars to own. Lotus cars tends to have fairly long life cycles so, hopefully, by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger, they'll have the kinks worked out.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 10:07 PM   #76
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CompKenny View Post

Damn that's terrible. I am monitoring the forums for the various issues, and I think once they've largely resolved I'll consider placing an order.
Appreciate 1