BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > I drive sticky button fix (diy) with pictures!

09-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Maks///M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

So my dog scratched my keys and I spilled coke in the area. So I called Bmw asking for replacement they said 1800$ with part and reprogramming.
So I went and took it apart. Everything. Including the magnets that you will see on the bottom of the controller. After removing them I could never get the wheel to function properly. -_- mistake.
So I cleaned the keys and put it all back together
Then I went on eBay and bought a used one for $250 to steal the keys out of and the base with untouched magents. The ones that are scratched and took it apart both and made it into one. Plugged everything in. And everything works as it should. No programming required Eva's was you will see in the diy it's easy to swap the mother board. So I took mine and put it in the one I bought off of eBay. Have had it back together for a week now and no issues. No recoding was required!

By following my diy you agree to do this at your own risk. I am not to be held responsible for any damage that may happen!

You will need a clip remover or a plastic pry tool, and metal pick tool, torx 20 bit and a torx 8 screwdriver, and a set of needle nose pliers!

And a 10mm docket to disconnect battery.

Step 1
Disconnect battery. Do not close trunk

Step 2
Pry the carbon trim off starting at the back working your way up to the front. Once the back is loose you can do it with your hands.

Step 3
Unplug the blue plastic wire going to the I drive unit. By pulling on the wires

Step 4
Take a torx 20 and remove the 3 silver screws. One on top and 2 on bottom

Step 4
Find a clean spot and set your controller down

Step 5
grab your pry tool and pry the top of the wheel of twisting your wrist in a circular back and fourth motion working your way around the wheel. Between the rubber and the silver. You will leave some marks most likely. This is my third time doing it. I have not broken and tabs yet

Step 6
Once pryed of. Go to white colored clip and push up on both corners. Gently. You need to get both corners to pop out.

Step 7
Once both corners are popped out. Pull the wire out.

Step 8
Flip the controller over and remove the sticker. You will notice in the center a square with another square inside it. Grab some pliers and grab onto that square and pull it out. Inside you will find a torx 8 bolt. Unscrew it with a long torx 8 screw driver.

Step 9
Pull the wheel out of the controller. Pay attention to how the wire is fed into the wheel. It's crucial it goes back the same way.

Step 10
Flip controller over you will see 4 torx 8 screws. Unscrew all of them and lay on the controller on either side. Towards the center you will see one clip per side. Pry one side. Keep tension and pry the other. Now the buttons will come off of the base.

Step 11
Remove the clear ring on the grey gasket by take a pry tool and popping it out it has to clip in points. Find them and pry there. Once popped out. Remove and now you can remove the rubber gasket. Clean as needed.

Step 11
Grab the buttons and you will find 8 tabs and the sides. 2 on top and bottom and 2 on each side. I found it easier to start at the bottom to. With a pry tool and side it between the clip and loosen it. Than work my way to one side loosen on tab and jump to the other side. And work your way until all tabs are loose. You will pull the silver ring out with it.

Step 12
Fish that black surround out of the buttons area and towards the top pry the silver ring out.

Step 13
Remove buttons as necessary finding the clip points. Shown in pictures. Once you have removed the buttons clean as necessary and reinstall buttons. You will need to take out the menu button and leave it out!

Step 14
With all the buttons re installed expect for menu button snap in the rectangle reign that you had just removed with the 8 clips. Once that is snapped In then proceed to snapping in the silver ring. Once that is done. Now you can install the menu button. You can no install the silver ring with the menu button in place!

Step 15
Reassemble starting from step 13 working your way back.

I have snapped some pictures of how to feed the wire thru the wheel.

Some key things doing reinstall are

Feed the wire thru the clear ring
Feed the wire correctly thru the wheel
Tighten the wheel with the screw and install the rubber plastic square

The main thing would be feeding the wire into the cap that has the white clip.

Feed the wire into it. Make sure no wire is showing. And than only than clip in the two sides. It will be a struggle since there is hardly room.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Maks///M2
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry the PREVIOUS pictures are being uploaded not in order..

the rest are in order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Maks///M2
Private First Class
Rep

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

WOW!
      09-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks///M2 View Post
So my dog scratched my keys and I spilled coke in the area
This is why I have a no pets and nothing but water policy in my vehicle
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Maks///M2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
So my dog scratched my keys and I spilled coke in the area
This is why I have a no pets and nothing but water policy in my vehicle
That's why I got another daily! (With cup holders) e30s has no cup holders. Lol. And cleaned the m, so no dog hair and no food or drinks in the car from now on.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      09-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
That's why I got another daily! (With cup holders) e30s has no cup holders. Lol. And cleaned the m, so no dog hair and no food or drinks in the car from now on.
I'm proud of you son.

(Cue the music)

Appreciate 1