BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Launch Date - What Happened?

09-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Launch Date - What Happened?

Does anyone know the official reason as to why BMW released the M2C to the US before the supposed launch date of Sept 17?

(The reason why I ask is because mine has been built since July 25, but yet I can't pick it up at Welt until Sept 17. I was okay with that until all these M2C's started popping up everywhere throughout the US for the past month now...not to mention, that folks from Canada have been able to pick theirs up at Welt for like 2 months.)

You know, in the beginning, I felt extremely lucky to find a dealership locally who was willing to do ED at MSRP, but now it feels like torture! I'm not estimating mine to arrive in the US until about December too.

...anyone have some cheese for my whine?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
mcnevin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

As far as official launch date information given to dealers... there wasn't really a whole lot. Maybe just out of not knowing/caring about the date would be my guess. Dealers aren't meant to sell cars before certain dates but can, the dealer just won't be able to marked it sold to BMW until after the date.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Unless the franchise agreement had a weird stipulation about release dates (which apparently almost none of them do), the "independent" nature of US Dealerships means that BMW would have to hold them at the VPC to keep them from being sold earlier than a "release" date in the US. Once the car leaves the BMW-corporate controlled VPC, BMW NA no longer has any real way to keep dealerships from delivering cars to customers (except for stop-sales due to recalls n stuff). I looked into this back when we were all worried about it.
Appreciate 0