BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW M sales exec says dual clutch, manual transmissions on their way out

04-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #221
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4 w/Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
My understanding of the ZF transmission is it's modular, meaning it can accept a torque converter, a wet clutch, or even an electric motor. And it's compatible with AWD, something BMW's current M-DCT is not. I don't know what the limitations are in terms of electric motor power but I personally think the possibilities with that transmission are pretty exciting. Imagine the upcoming 600+hp 4.0L twin turbo V8 coupled with a 200hp electric motor and xDrive -- that would make for a pretty damn compelling drivetrain in a future M.
Yes but there is something to be said about rear wheel drive powerful cars. Take the 991 for example in a s format vs 4s, I've driven both and they are wonderful cars truly balanced in every way- but the 4s just felt too clinical and near effortless to take it around the course where the rwd s felt more raw and in need of a control and better connection with the driver. it's this feeling people are complaining about....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #222
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

What I really don't like is BMW giving out this news and not explaining why.
If it is better than tell us why. Would it be that difficult to take 5 minutes to explain the advantages of the zf8 vs DTC?

Personally at this price point I expect innovative technology. The new M5 is dropping the DTC, dropping the manual and using the same engine as last generation. What will make the new M5 special? Tell us!

After 10 years with BMW I'm taking the plunge with Porsche. Bought a used Panamera Turbo S which does AWD and dual clutch
      04-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #223
vladislav
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT

"He said about 450 horsepower (335kW) and 600Nm was more or less the limit of manual-gearbox durability. Beyond that, he said, durability couldn't be guaranteed"....................... the most stupid thing i've ever heard from M division. Just say: we want more money
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #224
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ View Post
What I really don't like is BMW giving out this news and not explaining why. If it is better than tell us why. Would it be that difficult to take 5 minutes to explain the advantages of the zf8 vs DTC?
"As for dual-clutch transmissions, Quintus said the advantages they once offered over an automatic, such as their lighter weight and superior shift speed, were no longer apparent."
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #225
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yes. That's what I've been saying through all my posts in this thread. And if you read this post I made:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=35

You'll see how I state that BMW must have half a$$ed the implementation of the DCT in the 135i. And I've stated repeated in this thread where if BMW didn't want to properly implement the DCT in the 135i, they should have just kept the ZF from the N54 and not change over with the N55.
If you would have clarified from the get-go that your DCT comments were limited to the 1 series, that would have been a different story.

That being said, try the DCT in an M car - I think you'd be pleasantly surprised...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #226
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

F85/86 are ZF Auto, you cannot tell it's not DCT. Corvette Z06 and Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio are also ZF Auto. With proper software l, faster solenoids, and higher fluid pressure, the auto could easily mimic the DCT. It boils down to cost and reliability.
      04-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #227
YasM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Which car company does DCT implementation better? Not trying to be a smart a**, just curious.
Porsche PDK is the best (from experience)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #228
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Which car company does DCT implementation better? Not trying to be a smart a**, just curious.
Porsche PDK is the best (from experience)
Agreed PDK>DCT>MT
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #229
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

There is nothing better than in a proper sports car on a twisty road than to shift one's own gears. I know modern autos and DCT are faster but God blessed me with two full functioning arms and two fully functioning legs so...BMW...let me shift my own damn gears!
Appreciate 6
Kid Eh569.50
Mikecom32149.50
JTO245246.50
otay826.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      04-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #230
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
Porsche PDK is the best dual clutch on the market. Ferrari has a very good calibration on some of their latest models too. The problem with DCT is that they seem to be stuck on 7 gears for the most part which isn't bad but it's not as efficient as a 10 speed auto for example
10 gears is great for... fuel economy.

it is not good for a track. see car and driver review of the camaro zl1 10 speed. They just let the computer take over.

There is a problem when you are shifting through that many gears entering a turn and exiting. the driver interaction becomes a distraction.

"The sheer number of gears removes a lot of the joy from manually paddling through the cogs. Not to mention that downshifts in this mode feel significantly slower and clunkier than when the gearbox is left to its own devices. Engineers did attempt to address the tedium of toggling through six or seven or ten gears by writing code that jumps to the lowest possible gear when you hold the left shift paddle, but we found the system to be wildly inconsistent. Sometimes the downshift was nearly instantaneous. At other times, whole seconds passed before the shift occurred. And sometimes, inexplicably, there was no shift at all, no matter how long we held the paddle."

One thing when you drive a sports car is you need the car to be consistent at all times, engine torque, hp, tranny response, handling. that is what makes a sports car great- that is how to become part of the machine, you know exactly what it will do at exactly the right time.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...l1-test-review
like i said. 10 speed is for 18 wheelers and the fuel savings is a paper excercise. with so many gears its like you are driving a CVT.
      04-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #231
Hymiet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Meet ZF and Porsche’s new eight-speed DCT

Looks like Porsche is working with ZF on a 2 and 4 Wheel Drive DCT.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/527515/m...ght-speed-dct/

Is BMW not able to work with them on the same? Or is it possible that the new M5 ZF Box could be related to the ones in this article?

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #232
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
If you would have clarified from the get-go that your DCT comments were limited to the 1 series, that would have been a different story.

That being said, try the DCT in an M car - I think you'd be pleasantly surprised...
I did clarify what car I had in my earlier posts had you bothered to read them. And my profile states I have a 2013 135i.

But I may try out a M car with a DCT to see how much better it is. As I said before, it's a crying shame it's clear BMW just threw something together for the 135i and didn't put any effort into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #233
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
I read that also. Sounds like automatics are gonna be the only option in the future for M cars. My question for forum members is why can the hyper/super car manufactures continue to use DCTs with the supposed limitations? Wouldn't it stand to reason that they would also be switching to traditional automatics?
Agree. All Ferraris, for example, have sadly gone flappy-paddle DCT.

Exhibit A: Ferrari 488 with 661 hp + 561 lb·ft
Exhibit B: Ferrari F12 with 730 hp + 509 lb·ft
Exhibit C: Ferrari LaFerrari with 950 bhp + 664 lb·ft.
(Statistics courtesy of Wikipedia.)

"He said about 450 horsepower (335kW) and 600Nm was more or less the limit of manual-gearbox durability. ..."

I think what he meant was "450 horsepower and 600Nm are more or less the limit of the old manual gearbox and/or DCT that we developed years and years ago, and we are unwilling to develop a new manual gearbox and/or DCT that can handle more. Because our bean-counters have gone wild."
Those resources are now directed towards electric and autonomous vehicles.
      04-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #234
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Agree, comes down to cost.

Bugatti, Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren all use DCTs that deal with 600ft-lbs plus of torque, no reason BMW can't jump on the band wagon but cost to benefit ratio, with the common core customers in mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #235
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Quote:

Bugatti, Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren all use DCTs that deal with 600ft-lbs plus of torque, no reason BMW can't jump on the band wagon but cost to benefit ratio, with the common core customers in mind.
This says it all- BMW wants to now make m cars for "all" not just for enthusiasts. That's the problem. The f8x is a good example- it's a street car which is trackable rather than track car that can be driven in the street- mclaren, and the new 991.2s and up is track focused first and street second.

Don't get me wrong I love my m4 but it's not track first and this is ok for me as while I autox it and do DE events I haul groceries and my two kids more often than I do autox or DE events
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #236
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
If you haven't driven a ZF 8 speed it really is amazing. One of the only auto transmissions I have ever driven that remotely comes close to being acceptable.

The shift quality is amazing, the down shifts even more so.

BMW uses a ZF locked into shiftable manual mode on some of its race cars.

The biggest reason manual will go away? Auto braking.

If the feds mandate auto braking there is no way to down shift a true manual to keep the car capable of operating in an auto braking mode. (without getting into some SMG bs)

And of all the self driving car things coming auto braking will be one of the first to be implemented as it has huge potential for safety.

Please note I don't agree with where it is going and will always choose a manual over an auto, but it is going this way.

So get em while you can!!!

So true. I picked up an M235i with the ZF 8spd and I never looked back to my E92 6spd. It's such a solid transmission...hands down.

I think those that haven't driven them wouldn't understand as I didn't either until I was handed the keys.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #237
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
F85/86 are ZF Auto, you cannot tell it's not DCT. Corvette Z06 and Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio are also ZF Auto. With proper software l, faster solenoids, and higher fluid pressure, the auto could easily mimic the DCT. It boils down to cost and reliability.
So does the F-Type RS.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #238
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

This says it all- BMW wants to now make m cars for "all" not just for enthusiasts. That's the problem. The f8x is a good example- it's a street car which is trackable rather than track car that can be driven in the street- mclaren, and the new 991.2s and up is track focused first and street second.

Don't get me wrong I love my m4 but it's not track first and this is ok for me as while I autox it and do DE events I haul groceries and my two kids more often than I do autox or DE events
Well that's been going on for quite awhile. BMW has been making the X5/6 "M" monstrosities for some years now.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #239
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well that's been going on for quite awhile. BMW has been making the X5/6 "M" monstrosities for some years now.
Except the X5/6M don't belong on a track either in second or third afterthoughts- at least the f8x can go on a track even as a second preference....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #240
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:

The M3 hasn't been track focused since the first M3.
The M3/M4 is built off of a sedan chassis, and the Porsche 911 is a sports car. You should know this since you have an M4. It is not a sports car. It is not meant for the track first, street second. And many complain that the Porsche has gotten softer as it grown to cater to a larger customer base . If BMW wanted a more track focused 3/4 series and M3/M4, then they would not have gone and stretched the wheel base of the E9X platform and made it heavier. They would have lengthened it a tad compared to the e46 and tried to keep similar proportions. But that would not have been a good business decision. Again, the 911 is a sports car, just like the Corvette. The M4 based off of the F3X chassis is not a sports car or has a sports car chassis, it is compromised.

But, I do agree with your first point. BMW knows that there are a lot of people who go to the dealership and just want the most expensive car, which is generally the M cars. Just like they do at the Mercedes dealership---they go for the AMG models. Or the Audi dealership---the RS models. Or the Caddy dealership---the V models. And for these people, who go and just buy the most expensive model don't want harsh rides, body hugging seats, loud exhausts, high revving engines, and cars that feel like race cars. They don't care about 0-60 times, they care about "wafting easily through traffic". They don't care about 60-0 braking, but they care about brake caliper colors and the car knowing that something is in front of them and braking for them. They don't care about carbon roofs, but they do care about interiors and how they go with their Breitling or Rolex. And most important, they care about what others think of them.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #241
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
My understanding of the ZF transmission is it's modular, meaning it can accept a torque converter, a wet clutch, or even an electric motor. And it's compatible with AWD, something BMW's current M-DCT is not. I don't know what the limitations are in terms of electric motor power but I personally think the possibilities with that transmission are pretty exciting. Imagine the upcoming 600+hp 4.0L twin turbo V8 coupled with a 200hp electric motor and xDrive -- that would make for a pretty damn compelling drivetrain in a future M.

You won't be so happy when the next m3 is 4cyl turbo hybrid.

Bmw is going downhill, I'm sticking with American muscle and "heavy" manual transmission for the next car.
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111224.00
      04-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #242
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

The comments about manuals not being strong enough to handle the high HP and torque seems to be a crock of crap. Even back in the import tuner days, a turbocharged Civic putting out 500 hp and 400+ ft/lbs of torque did not blow up manual transmissions which were designed to only handle 190 hp and 150 ft/lbs of torque.

I have rarely, if ever, heard of manual transmissions blowing up due to wear and tear or too much HP on fixed up cars running 2-3x or more stock hp and torque. What we usually see are worn out clutches and money shifts blowing them up. That's it. OTOH, I see many many many complaints, stories, etc. about old school automatics not being able to handle the HP, dodgy "upgrades" sold by Level 10 and their ilk that provide minimal if any gains in power handling, or no upgrades at all for standard automatics to handle more power.

How the heck does Ford and Chevrolet build manual equipped GT500s and Z06s if "450 hp and 600Nm (442 lb/ft) of torque was more or less the limit of manual-gearbox durability?" These cars make about 200 more hp and torque and seem to have reliable manuals.
Appreciate 2
RowanBuds1707.00