BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The M2 and the 'soda can crunch noise' issue: compilation of some experiences

11-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #133
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Here is a pic of the backing plate. Took a look underneath during my 1200 service. Its the new style. After looking around it it's like the ant motel. Rocks go in but they can't come out. There is plenty of movement at the edges to widen the gap at the bottom.
Attached Images

11-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #134
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
Its not your diffs guys.
x2. I am now 100% convinced this is rocks against the brake shield / backing plate.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #135
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Picked up car today, 21 miles in and heard the sound coming from rear right of the car, heard it whilst slowing right down and turning right on a roundabout.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #136
gramz
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Picked my car up on friday, and on the scenic route home ran into a section of grooved road under construction getting onto the highway, about 5min later started hearing the sound, twice on the way home.

Today it was even worse (about 6-7 times in an hour). If it is in fact pebbles, should be a limited number of em so if it doesn't let up tomorrow I plan to take it down to dealer to throw it on a lift and see what were dealing with.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #137
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramz View Post
Picked my car up on friday, and on the scenic route home ran into a section of grooved road under construction getting onto the highway, about 5min later started hearing the sound, twice on the way home.

Today it was even worse (about 6-7 times in an hour). If it is in fact pebbles, should be a limited number of em so if it doesn't let up tomorrow I plan to take it down to dealer to throw it on a lift and see what were dealing with.
Nothing to see. Look at the pic above. Just push the bottom of the shield out a little.
      11-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #138
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

I used to get the noise spontaneously, until yesterday, when that grinding noise from the brake shield is now constant, it went away for a while today and then it came back again. Its extremely annoying, any updates from other owners experiencing this?
      11-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #139
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
I used to get the noise spontaneously, until yesterday, when that grinding noise from the brake shield is now constant, it went away for a while today and then it came back again. Its extremely annoying, any updates from other owners experiencing this?
That definitely sounds like a stone caught if it's a constant grinding noise, give the backing plate a good wiggle and it should fall out.

I'm still waiting for a response from BMW regarding the quick/brief clang sound i've been hearing and if they can confirm if it is infact also stones.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 02:12 AM   #140
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm getting the soda can crunching sound on my 2017. The dealership said mine doesn't have a single recall, so I'm at a loss for what it could be. It LITERALLY sounds like my car running over an already flattened soda can. The weird thing is, I can't figure out WHEN and WHY it causes the sound. When I hear it today, I was in a left turn lane coasting. Not braking. Not shifting. Not accelerating. Just coasting. I immediately did hard acceleration then hard braking and couldn't get the sound to happen again. It's really random when it happens. (it's unnerving)
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #141
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Been to the dealer today. We had a look below the car and checked what we could. Interestingly, you see the difference between the rear and front cover to the brake discs, which could mean we only hear at the back and not the front simply because stones fall out of the front one easier than the rear.

The rear brakes were cleaned, all removed and double checked. There was no visible damage from stones or anything and the differential was totally fine, so we still do not have a clue what it could be. I have not heard it for weeks now, so we still not have a fixed explanation.

For now I just live with it... I was more worried that they found out that the top mounts of my front struts need replacement, or at least that is what he said in not overly clear English... Parts are ordered so let's see what they replace in the coming weeks.

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #142
nopslide
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
I'm getting the soda can crunching sound on my 2017. The dealership said mine doesn't have a single recall, so I'm at a loss for what it could be. It LITERALLY sounds like my car running over an already flattened soda can. The weird thing is, I can't figure out WHEN and WHY it causes the sound. When I hear it today, I was in a left turn lane coasting. Not braking. Not shifting. Not accelerating. Just coasting. I immediately did hard acceleration then hard braking and couldn't get the sound to happen again. It's really random when it happens. (it's unnerving)
You basically just described the exact scenario I get every 3-4 days. Always low speed/coasting sounds just like running over a can, lasts a couple seconds max can't get it to do it again if I tried. Break-in service next week and I'll bring it up, from reading the posts here though I doubt they'll do anything. Its literally just embarrassing in parking lots if it decides to make the noise otherwise I haven't noticed any issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:41 AM   #143
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopslide View Post
You basically just described the exact scenario I get every 3-4 days. Always low speed/coasting sounds just like running over a can, lasts a couple seconds max can't get it to do it again if I tried. Break-in service next week and I'll bring it up, from reading the posts here though I doubt they'll do anything. Its literally just embarrassing in parking lots if it decides to make the noise otherwise I haven't noticed any issues.
Was in the same boat with my '17. These are just rocks grinding against the brake shield. No big deal. The service department (and you) can press on the shields at any time to dislodge any rocks that might still be stuck.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #144
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

Ok, now it happened for the first time, about 1300 miles on the car, coincided with the coldest day of the car so far, 28F or-2C. Not sure if weather has anything to do with this. I would describe the sound as a big container opening it's metal doors, that same squeaking sound. Happened on 3 occasions, slow speeds and while braking.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #145
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
Exact same experience. I have a 2017 as well!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 04:26 AM   #146
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

People, it's just bloody stonechips. I heard this sound several times so far, mostly while on track(track was full of chips after several sessions), and sometimes in town.

Just pedal to the floor and don't be bothered with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #147
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I've been hearing it on my 17 since the first day I drove it. it's happening just about every day; sometimes several times per day. Also at slow speeds. Under 15. Got off the freeway today and was rolling to a stop in 2nd and it happened but this time it was super loud. Sounded like I ran over a metal trashcan lid instead of just a sofa can.

So far, every time I pull the car into the garage (have only had the car for a week now) I give both rear brake shields a tug and let then snap back to see if I can hear rocks in there. Nothing yet.

Im halfway tempted to pull out the cutoff wheel and cut a small rectangular section out of the bottom of the shield to allow rocks to drop out. Has anyone considered or tried this?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #148
Doji desu
Private
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris

I received a request to fill out a buyer's survey. The usual what else did you look at, why did you choose the M2, what did it replace blah...

At the end I left my email address. And a comment. This car turns heads. Especially when stones are caught in the brake backing plates. People turn to see which car is falling apart on the road. They are surprised to see it is a new shiny BMW M2...

While it is nothing I am getting sick of it.

I found if you stop, reverse a bit and then drive forward the stones are usually cleared. Not so convenient in traffic however.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #149
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

okay so i think i might of heard this noise as well for the first time on Sunday. I think I was scraping something and then i would like in my back mirror and don't see anything.

This might explain it - i need to investigate this more.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #150
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doji desu View Post
I received a request to fill out a buyer's survey. The usual what else did you look at, why did you choose the M2, what did it replace blah...

At the end I left my email address. And a comment. This car turns heads. Especially when stones are caught in the brake backing plates. People turn to see which car is falling apart on the road. They are surprised to see it is a new shiny BMW M2...

While it is nothing I am getting sick of it.

I found if you stop, reverse a bit and then drive forward the stones are usually cleared. Not so convenient in traffic however.
I too am fed up, mostly that BMW and their dealer network (apparently most of them, certainly the dealer from which I bought my car) seem not to acknowledge that there is a problem here that needs addressing. There is LOTS of evidence here on this forum including recordings, detailed accounts from many owners, yet no solution offered, not even a definite answer or agreement that what we all think is causing the noise (stones in the brake dust shields) is in fact the problem.

I love this car. Hate the soda can noise and the stress I'm feeling about what damage might be caused. I lost count at over 20 occurrences of the dreaded noise.
      12-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #151
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

Good video showing underneath our M2's including the brake disk plate

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #152
MFan_Ken
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 LLB, 6MT, Exe, Car Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I've been hearing it on my 17 since the first day I drove it. it's happening just about every day; sometimes several times per day. Also at slow speeds. Under 15. Got off the freeway today and was rolling to a stop in 2nd and it happened but this time it was super loud. Sounded like I ran over a metal trashcan lid instead of just a sofa can.

So far, every time I pull the car into the garage (have only had the car for a week now) I give both rear brake shields a tug and let then snap back to see if I can hear rocks in there. Nothing yet.

Im halfway tempted to pull out the cutoff wheel and cut a small rectangular section out of the bottom of the shield to allow rocks to drop out. Has anyone considered or tried this?
As you know you and I are both production week 43 and were aboard the same ship. I have the same experience that you have, starting day 1. It seems that all instances are at 15 - 30 mph and happens when either turning or going straight. I have not tried pulling on the rear brake shields yet, but I will be surprised if this is in fact the solution to the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #153
EnzoBow
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Coupe

my DCT M2 @2300KM have this sound 5+ times almost at very low speed.
it sounds like my exhaust fall off and dragging in the surface but it just less then 1 sec. sometime it have second noise but quieter. the sound is really loud when the windows is open. I assume outside is much louder because when it happen everybody in the street looking at me.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 03:10 AM   #154
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I plan on ordering a 2017 model this weekend and this is giving me second thoughts...
Appreciate 0