BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Top Gear BMW M2 Review

03-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #23
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Best M2 review yet.

I never would have guessed that this review (thoughtful and intelligent) was written for the same parent company as the Top Gear TV show (grown men acting like dumbasses - except for The Stig.)
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #24
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Nice... amazing how consistent the reviews (and positive) have been. It wasn't quite the same for the M3/4... more reviewers who had differing views (love or not so much).
Exactly!
I wonder if the M engineers are rethinking the LCI for the M3 and 4 now that they've seen what good as judged by reviewers is like...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #25
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Plain and simple they missed the mark with the f80. It was close but fell short in sound and overall feel. With more practice they are getting the turbo m cars better with the m2 the closest to success yet. Sadly it will be the next Gen m5 and m3 which finally restores the M brand to where it needs to be
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #26
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

On top of buzz words, don't forget a very romanticized novel. In any case, well done.
      03-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #27
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM
Plain and simple they missed the mark with the f80. It was close but fell short in sound and overall feel. With more practice they are getting the turbo m cars better with the m2 the closest to success yet. Sadly it will be the next Gen m5 and m3 which finally restores the M brand to where it needs to be
Well - there is no doubt that the F8x generation has not received universal praise. I'm glad to see the M2 is getting great reviews.

For those of us with the F8x generation - the "good news" is that whatever complaints about sound and a "not as connected" feeling versus older M cars - even Motor Trend/Randy Pobst in the 2014 Best Drivers' Car issue proclaimed it as "the best M Division product in years - easily eclipsing the M6 Gran Coupe" and a "vast" improvement over the "peaky and pushy" E92...

So - notwithstanding the lack of universal praise - the F8x has been one hell of a fun car to own - undoubtedly more fun (to me) versus the E9x (which - by the way - I still love too). But no way in hell I'd go back to the E9x for sound and give up the vast improvements of the F8x in basically every other respect...
Appreciate 6
      03-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #28
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Sure wish they had more color choices...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #29
eugegall
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CS

I'm glad its been mentioned.

I'm English and that was horribly written. So bad I'm surprised I made it to the end.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #30
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Great review. BMW hit the nail on the head with this car! I got to track it at thermal club and it is a blast. Car is super composed and you can push the car extremely hard and feel like you are in complete control the whole time.

One thing though, a lot of people are mentioning that the f8x isn't getting total praise. Well, remember what segment it competes in. One where other manufacturers have been competing in for some time now too.

The M2 is starting a new segment. The cla45 is junk, so I'm waiting for a real competitor. The rs3 comes out next year, etc. Will it still be top dog? I think so, there's no reason it shouldn't it's an all around perfect car and very refined, but the f8x has stiff competition and some legit cars to fight off.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #31
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The best BMW M car yet. Until the next one comes out. Wouldn't want to damage that smooth relationship with BMW AG!

Sorry but this thing is a puff piece. Not particularly analytical. Yeah it's a great car but apparently everything is these days, let's get some critical analysis. And this whole "wow its a maniac on the track but SO civil on the street" rhetoric is exhausting. Very common these days yet always poured over.
      03-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #32
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post
Great review. BMW hit the nail on the head with this car! I got to track it at thermal club and it is a blast. Car is super composed and you can push the car extremely hard and feel like you are in complete control the whole time.

One thing though, a lot of people are mentioning that the f8x isn't getting total praise. Well, remember what segment it competes in. One where other manufacturers have been competing in for some time now too.

The M2 is starting a new segment. The cla45 is junk, so I'm waiting for a real competitor. The rs3 comes out next year, etc. Will it still be top dog? I think so, there's no reason it shouldn't it's an all around perfect car and very refined, but the f8x has stiff competition and some legit cars to fight off.
That is true, everyone was gunning for the best for quite a while now. I think everyone expects the top dog to stay on top, but there is just soooo much competition in the segment these days. At any rate, most people can pick a top end Perf car these days ($60K - $80K) and get a beast whether it's a Chevy, Ford, Cadillac, BMW, Audi, MB, Porsche, or whatever your heart desires. I think many consumer products are becoming this way, Cell Phones, computers, etc. There isn't really "Bad" anymore, it's more of a nitpick of features, looks, price, etc.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #33
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Well looks like BMW has responded to criticisms by enthusiasts and journalists alike by producing the M2 which is garnering universal praise, and is outperforming all expectations. Compare this to the marketing chicanery of the "3300 lbs" of the M4, all this talk about "bespoke" items, carbon fiber parts, etc almost to the point of overemphasis that you knew something smelled fishy. Contrast that the the M2, which was released with far less fanfare, more truth in advertising and BMW did what they have historically have done prior to the M4 which is is state the facts and let the car speak for itself. Many accused the M4 reviews to be unfairly biased about BMW due to some interesting theories about "advertising dollars shifting" and "anti-BMW" reviewers that actually preferred Mercedes, "inexperienced journalists" and "natural anti-new car reactions" that occurred in all prior gen releases.

Well the M2 reception has basically proved all these theories to be patently false and proof positive that BMW did not hit it out of the park with the M4 (unlike with the E39, E46, E60, and E90), allowing the competition to essentially catch up. The M2 looks like to be a car with a great price/value relationship, is nearly as fast on the track as the M4 in pro-hands, most likely will be faster in amateur hands, and is defined by superior handling and ability to put the power down, two hallmarks of BMW ///M cars. The only complaint I've seen is still on the EPS and for some reason BMW still has some catching up to do vis-a-vis Porsche. While I see a lot of value in the new F80 M3 due to 4-door practicality, the M2 has relegated the M4 to "M6" status, which is a fast coupe but due to size is less fun/engaging to drive compared to the M2. Can't wait for the M2 CSL, hopefully BMW won't be price gouging on that like they did with the M4 GTS.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #34
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Well looks like BMW has responded to criticisms by enthusiasts and journalists alike by producing the M2 which is garnering universal praise, and is outperforming all expectations. Compare this to the marketing chicanery of the "3300 lbs" of the M4, all this talk about "bespoke" items, carbon fiber parts, etc almost to the point of overemphasis that you knew something smelled fishy. Contrast that the the M2, which was released with far less fanfare, more truth in advertising and BMW did what they have historically have done prior to the M4 which is is state the facts and let the car speak for itself. Many accused the M4 reviews to be unfairly biased about BMW due to some interesting theories about "advertising dollars shifting" and "anti-BMW" reviewers that actually preferred Mercedes, "inexperienced journalists" and "natural anti-new car reactions" that occurred in all prior gen releases.

Well the M2 reception has basically proved all these theories to be patently false and proof positive that BMW did not hit it out of the park with the M4 (unlike with the E39, E46, E60, and E90), allowing the competition to essentially catch up. The M2 looks like to be a car with a great price/value relationship, is nearly as fast on the track as the M4 in pro-hands, most likely will be faster in amateur hands, and is defined by superior handling and ability to put the power down, two hallmarks of BMW ///M cars. The only complaint I've seen is still on the EPS and for some reason BMW still has some catching up to do vis-a-vis Porsche. While I see a lot of value in the new F80 M3 due to 4-door practicality, the M2 has relegated the M4 to "M6" status, which is a fast coupe but due to size is less fun/engaging to drive compared to the M2. Can't wait for the M2 CSL, hopefully BMW won't be price gouging on that like they did with the M4 GTS.
My goodness, the inferiority complex to the M3 / M4 is already so strong here. I shudder to think what it will be like once people actually start receiving their cars...that being said, the M2 is looking like a very fun machine.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #35
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM

Just because you consider the M3/M4 as " missing the mark" doesn't mean all the cars are.

The 1M clearly had better reviews than the M2 was a turbo car that came out BEFORE the f8x M3 and M4 so that doesn't make the M2 " closest to success " it makes the M2 a followup to success

As far as I am concerned, a serious weight reduction and size reduction to get the current M3 from being a 5 series and the current m5 from being a 7 series is what's needed

The simple reason that reviewers say the M2 is more fun is because it's not such a big car !
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #36
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Jason View Post
And right there, you have a car that’s separated itself from the M3 and M4. [...] Their steering is more remote, their back ends prone to flicking sideways without due notice. They’re a challenge.
Especially if your tires are 1.5 PSI too low.
If so, they are death traps at those coffee & cars events.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #37
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
They didnt compare to 1M? Fail
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #38
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Depending on how you classify its segment I wouldn't say it is new at all.

The A45 AMG, CLA 45 AMG, RS3, TT RS, 1M, Golf R, Focus RS etc all compete in the same segment and have done so for years.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #39
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

When is Chris Harris going to review the M2 for Top Gear?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #40
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid
Quote:
Depending on how you classify its segment I wouldn't say it is new at all.

The A45 AMG, CLA 45 AMG, RS3, TT RS, 1M, Golf R, Focus RS etc all compete in the same segment and have done so for years.
Not many rear wheel drive cars in that lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #41
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Well - there is no doubt that the F8x generation has not received universal praise. I'm glad to see the M2 is getting great reviews.

For those of us with the F8x generation - the "good news" is that whatever complaints about sound and a "not as connected" feeling versus older M cars - even Motor Trend/Randy Pobst in the 2014 Best Drivers' Car issue proclaimed it as "the best M devision product in years - easily eclipsing the M6 Gran Coupe" and a "vast" improvement over the "peaky and pushy" E92...

So - notwithstanding the lack of universal praise - the F8x has been one hell of a fun car to own - undoubtedly more fun (to me) versus the E9x (which - by the way - I still love too). But no way in hell I'd go back to the E9x for sound and give up the vast improvements of the F8x in basically every other respect...
I agree... I love the M4 and think it is a fantastic car. The reviews are hit and miss but I don't necessarily agree with them. It is nice, however, how consistently "hit" the M2 reviews have been.

Quote:

I don't think many reviews are comparing the M2 to its direct competition. Most are actually comparing it to the M3/4... and having very favourable comparisons. I can't wait to see how I view the M2 vs. my M4. Fun days, fun days
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #42
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
The 1M clearly had better reviews than the M2 was a turbo car that came out BEFORE the f8x M3 and M4 so that doesn't make the M2 " closest to success " it makes the M2 a followup to success
I hope that isn't your shifting arm you are using to pat yourself on the back, Mr. 1M driver, you could sprain something

So will the 1M drivers be giving the M2s thumbs up when they see each other on the streets, or competitive glares?
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #43
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Those "better reviews" seem to have been tempered somewhat when the M2 came out, no? Isn't the prevailing view of professional drivers and journalists alike that the M2 drives better?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #44
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post

For those of us with the F8x generation - the "good news" is that whatever complaints about sound and a "not as connected" feeling versus older M cars - even Motor Trend/Randy Pobst in the 2014 Best Drivers' Car issue proclaimed it as "the best M devision product in years - easily eclipsing the M6 Gran Coupe" and a "vast" improvement over the "peaky and pushy" E92...

I agree... I love the M4 and think it is a fantastic car. The reviews are hit and miss but I don't necessarily agree with them. It is nice, however, how consistently "hit" the M2 reviews have been.

Quote:

I don't think many reviews are comparing the M2 to its direct competition. Most are actually comparing it to the M3/4... and having very favourable comparisons. I can't wait to see how I view the M2 vs. my M4. Fun days, fun days
Because there isn't much competition, nothing id consider competition anyway having driven it's "competition"

I actually prefer the m2 to the f8x for one reason. You can drive it close to the limit and still feel in complete control.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0