BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2: my first driving impressions review

02-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #67
spd974
Private
Rep
Drives: Base Civic / 981 GT4

Hi guys,

First post to say that it must have a great experience to drive the M2 on track, then M3 & M4!

LUCKY!
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #68
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
LOL it seems like some M3 owners are looking for some validation that their car is better looking than the M4 based on the OPs comments.....

Or they just want to see how the M3 fender flares compared to the M2 in real world....
Yet no one comes close to how IEDEI would do it. In any case, I didn't notice much of this, mostly because I'm used to reading his posts around here.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #69
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Thanks for the great review,you made me even more excited to take delivery of my M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #70
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
For every color there are people who think the color is shit.

LBB: "disgusting green, way too flamer"

Black: "Hides the line, can't see the sculpture of the car, yuck"

AW: "Looks like an egg, MW would have been nice, this is trash"

MG: "Too common, boring and dull".

Get the color that you want, because there is no pleasing everyone.
I agree. Colors are as a personal decision as it gets. Yes, MG does look great with the black M Perf parts.

It would have been nice if BMW did offer at least one more Individual-ish color for the M2 since they are not allowing the entire Individual program for paint due to the factory limitations.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #71
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConR View Post
Freg, this whole "doesn't look that good in MG" has me worried now haha.

I changed from LBB -> AW -> MG, and now feel I may be going back to LBB!!!
Haha you've missed BSM, when do you have to make your final decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post

Don't think you can go wrong in either colour, but my last preference would be the MG. Go LBB, it is a nice colour. Don't mean to put you off!
What colour have you ordered?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #72
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
A lucky few of us here in Australia were invited to Australia's official launch of the M2 and we allowed to drive the M2 around Australia's Mt Panorama circuit. It was an epic day and a very well planned event by BMW and much credit goes to them.

The day went like this:

We did 2-3 laps in the M2, followed by 2-3 laps in the M3 and then 2-3 laps in the M4 which was brilliant as we got to compare all three.

Here are my impressions on the M2. I'll try and break it down by each aspect of the car.

Steering & Handing
It feels very direct and weighty and loads up nicely on the corners. It doesn't have all the sport settings that the M4 does, but it's fine as it is.

It feels beautifully planted and very nimble and changes direction quite easily. It didn't want to break traction as much as the M4 did, but I also put that down to the more power that the M4 has.

Engine
There is plenty of pull and the DCT shifts were amazing. I myself have ordered a manual, but the DCT was tempting. Brilliant gearbox and it did 'blap' the exhaust on upshifts like the M4 does.

Styling
They had a Mineral Grey, Long Beach Blue and Black Sapphire Mettalic at the event. I hate to be a sour puss, but the grey doesn't do much for this car. The Long Beach Blue is a really nice colour and the black is very attractive as well. There was no Alpine white. The flared rear wheel arches are simply a sight to behold and make the car very aggressive. The M2 is definitely a looker and looks a lot better in real life than the photos suggest.

Now for the comparison against its big brother the M4. I had never driven an M4 before today, and I got to really see what it could do on a track. I have a lot of respect for this car and anyone who buys one, take it to the track because it is a brilliant track tool.

My thoughts compared to the M2, as briefly as possible.

Handling
The M2 changes direction better and you can feel its more compact chassis holds the road a little better through corners. Definitely that little bit of weight saving makes a difference.

Engine
M4 is quicker and has more pull than the M2. The M2 is no slouch, but you can feel the M4 is quicker, but not by much.

Braking
Much of a muchness really as they both use the same braking set-up.

Feel
The M2 felt like a more direct and raw car than the M4, but that was to be expected considering its smaller dimensions.

Sound
I think the M4 sounds good, but I preferred the sound of the M2. More raspy and less farty than the M4

Styling
Those flared wheel arches did it for me. The M4 is much more toned down in the styling.

My conclusion is, the M4 is an amazing car and the M2 is not better than the M4 (BMW were never trying to do this). It is very close to its performance for a lot less and BMW have done a fantastic job in creating this car. Anyone who has ordered an M2 will not be disappointed and now I can't wait till mine arrives!
What an outstanding day! For all those who have placed an order for the M2, you will NOT be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #73
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Haha you've missed BSM, when do you have to make your final decision?

What colour have you ordered?
I first went with LBB then changed it to BSM (Before seeing the car though).

To be completely honest, when you're in the car having fun, you're not really thinking about the colour on the outside so much!
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #74
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood
LOL it seems like some M3 owners are looking for some validation that their car is better looking than the M4 based on the OPs comments.....

Or they just want to see how the M3 fender flares compared to the M2 in real world....

Either way thanks for the review!
u can't touch the M3 rear wheel fenders :
      02-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #75
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

I have never seen so many M3s for sale/being put up for sale at the same time

This car is/has been making waves

Exciting times
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #76
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

BMW US doesn't like this being here, sorry guys it has to come down.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)

Last edited by ///M-pressed; 02-11-2016 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: PM for me the reason
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #77
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
lol it's too late for that. Once on the internet, always on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #78
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Poor Form

Quote:
Why does BMWNA have a problem with somebody from Australia writing about their impressions from a BMWAU sanctioned and promoted event?
Maybe BMWNA could learn something from the BMWAU marketing department!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #79
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm not saying it's GT4 good, but I certainly had a blast. The size felt right, the brakes were good, and it was just FUN. I definitely saw potential in the M2 a long long time ago (thus why I became so active on this forum).

The reviews don't lie. Look at how many journalists absolutely loved the M235i, whereas the M3/4 reviews were very hit or miss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylena View Post
Me and my friends got to do a bmw drive day last year where we got to drive the m235i back to back with the m4 around Phillip island (where the moto GP is held in melbourne)
The 4 of us came away with the same conclusion that even though the 235i didn't have as much power, it felt better balanced and more nimble around the track. That's why when the m2 was announced I had no hesitation in putting a deposit down.
Thanks guys, thats GREAT to hear. My goal was my next car to be an M, but if an M2 doesn't work out, IM not sure I can swing an M4, so if the M235 slots in as a better driver than a regular sport line 2 or 4 series, that would be perfect.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #80
streetmasters
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Glad someone was able to quote the OP
Can't wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #81
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

Steering & Handing
Less numb than the F80, better modulation and feel - EPS is getting better especially in this setup

Trans
DCT direct and snappy per usual - manual will be best way to extract the power

Styling
The closest we can get to a modern E46 - who cares its the right size like snickers mini

Handling
The M2 carries more speed through the corners, changes direction on a dime, carries more exit speed, is so much more tossable at the limit and makes you forget about the F80... Not as scary and more fun to take it to the limit - less loss of momentum

Engine
M2 is more raw feeling and is fun because you have to extract that extra ounce that the F80 has in tq

Braking
Great modulation - less rotating mass being carried through the corner so easier to regulate power

Feel
The M2 is more connected to the pavement, you feel the emotion

Sound
M2 sounds more pissed off and less gassy than the M4

Styling
M2 has the haunches of the F80- too bad the fender vents are lacking in design and functionality

Don't walk, run to get the M2 it's what you have been waiting for until the CSL comes along. F8x who? It is like a tuned 135i or 1M that dabbed some meth but high quality meth
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:43 PM   #82
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
lol it's too late for that. Once on the internet, always on the internet.
I know, this is merely a formality. As if someone has not seen it already and quoted me. They explicitly told us not to take photos or video which I didn't, but they never said: 'Please don't share this with anyone'.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #83
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT135 View Post
Why does BMWNA have a problem with somebody from Australia writing about their impressions from a BMWAU sanctioned and promoted event?
Maybe BMWNA could learn something from the BMWAU marketing department!
The salesman from the dealer said: 'They are worried it is going to warp people's perceptions'. My reply was, how this is any different than the opinion of a journalist?

They're worried people won't buy M4s anymore. Kind of their own fault really.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #84
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Whoa, who told you to take it down? BMW themselves or the salesman?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #85
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
Whoa, who told you to take it down? BMW themselves or the salesman?
Well BMW don't know who I am, it was the salesman who said he got word from the US that they aren't happy with my post. I can't see why BMWAU would really care.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #86
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I have a tuned M235 and love it. Do you think the M2 will be a good daily driver? Mostly I want to know if need be can you relax while driving or did they make it so raw that you feel every pebble?

Thank you for sharing.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #87
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman Murch
Steering & Handing
Less numb than the F80, better modulation and feel - EPS is getting better especially in this setup

Trans
DCT direct and snappy per usual - manual will be best way to extract the power

Styling
The closest we can get to a modern E46 - who cares its the right size like snickers mini

Handling
The M2 carries more speed through the corners, changes direction on a dime, carries more exit speed, is so much more tossable at the limit and makes you forget about the F80... Not as scary and more fun to take it to the limit - less loss of momentum

Engine
M2 is more raw feeling and is fun because you have to extract that extra ounce that the F80 has in tq

Braking
Great modulation - less rotating mass being carried through the corner so easier to regulate power

Feel
The M2 is more connected to the pavement, you feel the emotion

Sound
M2 sounds more pissed off and less gassy than the M4

Styling
M2 has the haunches of the F80- too bad the fender vents are lacking in design and functionality

Don't walk, run to get the M2 it's what you have been waiting for until the CSL comes along. F8x who? It is like a tuned 135i or 1M that dabbed some meth but high quality meth
If all this is true, that would be amazing as I consider my f80 a track beast in stock form.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #88
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
I first went with LBB then changed it to BSM (Before seeing the car though).

To be completely honest, when you're in the car having fun, you're not really thinking about the colour on the outside so much!
Such a shame they are wanting you to take your review down..

So are you sticking with the BSM? As you say can't really go wrong with any colour you choose if the car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0