BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M Performance Parts Direct to Dealership

07-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

M Performance Parts Direct to Dealership

Apologies if this seems an odd question. My husbands birthday is coming up and I'd like to outfit his M2 with some new parts. Specifically the MPE and suspension. It seems the pricing (parts and labor) of our nearby dealerships vary a lot. I've reached out to some vendors here (BMW authorized) and they seem more than willing to ship the above mentioned items to wherever I designate (no tax, no shipping).

So, before I waste my time contacting our SA. Has anyone had parts shipped directly to a dealership for installation? Anyone met with resistance or excuses as to why they wouldn't allow ?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

I've brought stuff to dealer for them to install without issue.

I guess I would contact the SA at the dealer about shipping directly to them. Or you could have it shipped to a friend/child/neighbor then take to dealer. (I'm assuming this is a surprise gift).

Also, if you're a CCA member you get 10% of parts if ordered through dealer - including the performance stuff.

P.S. You must be a super cool wife.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Not sure if service departments will agree to install parts not purchased through their dealership as I've done all installs myself. If they are willing to do that, I'd get in touch with Sun Motors BMW for all the OEM parts you're looking to buy. They've been considerably cheaper than anywhere else I've checked in my experience. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

My mechanics and dealerships charge a higher labor rate when you bring your own parts... check if your dealership does that too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
brianpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I did exactly that through Kuni BMW here in the Portland, Oregon area (well, Beaverton). I bought a used MPE for my E92 M3 and had it shipped directly to my dealer. Contacted my SA in advance about it, of course. They had no problem swapping out the exhaust. In fact, they stored my stock exhaust in a corner of the shop until I could come pick it up later in the week with my truck.

I imagine YMMV depending on your dealership, however.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all of you who responded. I truly appreciate it as I feel prepared to have this discussion now with our dealership. As one of you mentioned, this is definitely my 'attempted' surprise gift and I want everything to go smooth. His car is due for the 1200 mile service and it's on my way to the office so I thought I'd offer to drop it off and pick it up when I'm done. Yeah, I know it might take more than a day but I'll take care of that. I did reach out to SunMotors on Friday but haven't heard back from Brian (may make another attempt in the morning).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I've never ordered parts through a dealership but have brought them things to install on several occasions and there has never been any questions or an issue.

I get all my M Performance parts through bmw parts pros or get bmw parts, depending on who has it cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Contact Brian Keller at sun motor car parts department. You won't be disappointed with the pricing .
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick update.

Was able to negotiate (price match) the MPE through the dealer but they wouldn't match the suspension. I suspect the reason being the exhaust is in stock. I indicated I could bring in the suspension but they avoided the conversation (didn't say no and didn't say yes). The installation for the suspension was high anyways. I know my husband has done suspensions on all his performance cars in the past so maybe (just) he wouldn't mind installing this one.

So I purchased the suspension and exhaust finishers through Sun at an amazing price.

Thanks again to all of those who helped.
//M
Appreciate 0