BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE Exhaust rattle on cold start

06-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #67
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Not true. The video examples posted here are the carbon/Ti tips rattling. Correct/incorrect installation cannot fix this issue. Now if there is rattling from it hitting the support then that is a failed install. There should be 1/2-3/4 inch clearance between the top and bottom of the pipe and the tunnel and brace. Warm up temps causes the exhaust to move rearward due to eat expansion. Not it could be hitting the rear heat shield but it is at its shortest length at cold start
No, this is true! They are not the tips rattling. Can the tips rattle if loose, yes.

Yup! Incorrect installation, cutting the exhaust pipe to short or long is one of the main issues. If the clamp also comes loose it needs to be replaced - easy to do if you are driving on the track. I went through three clamps, I finally just had it welded. Issue resolved!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #68
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
No, this is true! They are not the tips rattling. Can the tips rattle if loose, yes.

Yup! Incorrect installation, cutting the exhaust pipe to short or long is one of the main issues. If the clamp also comes loose it needs to be replaced - easy to do if you are driving on the track. I went through three clamps, I finally just had it welded. Issue resolved!
Mine had cold start rattle prior to the tune that removed the cold start and I assure you the rattle that is displayed in these videos wee the same as mine and it was the tips...and not them being loose either. How i know...I tested it with them installed, then not installed and installed again. I knew it would be since it was the same issue I had with the M4. My MPE is ver 2 or 3 depending on how you look at it and I installed it myself and the install is perfect.

So bottom line, if it rattles you can look up underneath and you will find that most are not hitting the brace..... period

Those with ver 1 have suffered slippage with the style of clamp and interface it used but the sound is more of a metal to metal banging not a resonating vibration like these videos display...that is my point
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #69
Mil996
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

I removed the tips from mine for a few days no vibrations whatsoever refitted them vibrations back 100% tips
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #70
430409M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ///M2 PE

I just took a small amount of heat wrap and wrapped the tips of the exhaust tips (with the finishing tips off) then put the cosmetic tips back on. It still vibrates on cold start but the metals cant hit each other anymore..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #71
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Mine had cold start rattle prior to the tune that removed the cold start and I assure you the rattle that is displayed in these videos wee the same as mine and it was the tips...and not them being loose either. How i know...I tested it with them installed, then not installed and installed again. I knew it would be since it was the same issue I had with the M4. My MPE is ver 2 or 3 depending on how you look at it and I installed it myself and the install is perfect.

So bottom line, if it rattles you can look up underneath and you will find that most are not hitting the brace..... period

Those with ver 1 have suffered slippage with the style of clamp and interface it used but the sound is more of a metal to metal banging not a resonating vibration like these videos display...that is my point
Dude! Don't tell me or call me out for BS unless you know for yourself! I can tell you without exception in my case, and many others it is the exhaust slightly rubbing the bracket during cold start. If your tips are rattling, ok, that is the issue you had.

Edit: Ok, I am understanding the tip rattle better now and agree the videos are probably tips rattling vs hitting the bracket.

Last edited by M2joey; 06-21-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #72
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

isjoey,
I would like to make myself clear on one thing. I have not called you out or claimed your full of bullshit. I have just stated facts based on extensive research by myself and others hunting this so called resonating vibration/rattle that is being displayed in the linked videos. You might have had a different or unusual situation but the majority of the vibration issues have been from what I have stated. Anybody can as I mentioned look up under their car and verify wither theory and come to a conclusion of their own. If it is not touching the cross member i am trying to save others undo frustration of hunting this problem since I have hassled with it on two different platforms and the same designed tips.

Oh and if you look closely you can see the visual characteristics of the vibration and that would not be caused by cross member contact

That is it in a nut shell You should not feel attacked, it would be quite clear if I was
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #73
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Rattle is not because of metal to metal contact but the inherent startup frequency resonance that MPE muffler can't handle. Don't believe me? Here, I have the MPE pipe welded to the OEM. It still rattles, but it's less violent now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 04:16 AM   #74
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT MG

So I'm new to all this.

Got my car going into the installing dealership next week for a couple of days.

If they're unable to resolve, I may have to look at coding the cold start out.

How do I do this and what is the cold start actually for - guessing as people are coding it out that it isn't required?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #75
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny73 View Post
So I'm new to all this.

Got my car going into the installing dealership next week for a couple of days.

If they're unable to resolve, I may have to look at coding the cold start out.

How do I do this and what is the cold start actually for - guessing as people are coding it out that it isn't required?
We are coding out ASD...you cannot code out cold start to my knowledge. It has to be a flash tune unless that has changed
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #76
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Got my MPE w/ carbon tips installed at the dealer yesterday and it has the rattle shown in HTTP 410's video. It happens for like 5 seconds during startup though so I'm not worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #77
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Got my MPE w/ carbon tips installed at the dealer yesterday and it has the rattle shown in HTTP 410's video. It happens for like 5 seconds during startup though so I'm not worried about it.
I'm not worried as such, just find it quite embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #78
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
I'm not worried as such, just find it quite embarrassing.
I thought I didn't have the rattle but I do. Just put your foot on the accelerator to keep the revs up a little for a few secs and no rattle. No big deal IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #79
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

On a different note....research had found that peeps with three Ti only tips had less issues with the rattle than the ones with carbon/Ti tips. I think it is the design of the two pieces of material that is riveted together and the cold start process vibrates at just the right freq to cause the rattle. So if you like carbon....you's gonna rate sometime
Appreciate 1
jas159897.50
      09-29-2018, 12:13 AM   #80
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

My carbon tips rattled on cold start - slightly when new, then much worse. Never an issue once warmed up.

Took it to the dealer, they confirmed the tips were loose, tightened them, and all good. For a couple days at least, now the rattle has returned slightly.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #81
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Metallic MPE Rattle

The metallic rattle of my MPE has gotten worse over time during cold starts. Many seem familiar with it, but mine reached a level of not being acceptable. Flipped the rear seats down, recorded the amazingly loud metallic rattle from within the car during the cold start and sent it to my service guy. This time he did not say that this is normal and he just ordered a new exhaust. Will get fitted next week, have some doubts that a replacement exhaust will fix it, as too many people seem to have the issue, but we'll see. Will let you know the result!

Last edited by Downunder99; 11-21-2018 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #82
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Update 20-Nov-2018:
Allright, brought my M2 to the dealership, they were able to replicate the rattle, but did not do much root cause analysis, they just ordered a brandnew MPE including tips, installed it and then figured out that it is in fact the tips. The foreman put it on the hoist for me and I can now clearly see what the issue is: the inner, perforated pipe of the tips, onto which the carbon fiber tips are rivetted, must be pushed all the way in to have a conical seat with the exhaust pipe. Those who installed or uninstalled the tips themselves know, that the tips are only held in place by the conical seat on the pipe plus one tiny little screw which is holding the tips in place in the horizontal plane. You can move the tips backwards and fix them in place, but you lose the conical seat. Under normal circumstances, this rather underwhelming piece of engineering, with the conical seat plus the tiny screw, should not rattle, but!! as soon as a) temperature changes, i.e. colder weather, or b) the tips are adjusted backwards to align for example with the diffuser and don't sit on the conical seat anymore, or c) the tips move slightly away from the conical seat through vibration over time, the front end of the tips, which is usually tight with the exhaust pipe where it increases in diameter towards the welding, has some gap! Now combine that with the cold start frequency and the movement of the exhaust pipes during cold start, the inner pipe of the tips is rattling against the exhaust pipe like a baby rattle! So, that is the reason, why I got my M2 back, with the left side tips sticking out 2/3" further than the right side tips! The foreman showed me that all tips are pushed all the way in, so they sit snug on the conical seat. And as the exhaust has its pipes cut/welded slightly different in length (how the heck did it go through the quality control of the exhaust manufacturer, with 2/3" difference in length!?), I have now the option of tips, which are aligned on both sides with the diffuser, or I adjust the right tips 2/3" towards the back and lose the conical seat, increasing the rattle during cold start.
In summary: horrible tolerances in production of the MPE base exhaust and an anything but sufficient way of holding the tips in place.

P.S. I should mention that mine is the MPE which came with my 2018 M2. I read further up on the page that earlier versions may have an issue with the exhaust clamp itself. That for sure seems to be a different issue.

Last edited by Downunder99; 11-21-2018 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
      11-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #83
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder99 View Post
Update 20-Nov-2018:
Allright, brought my M2 to the dealership, they were able to replicate the rattle, but did not do much root cause analysis, they just ordered a brandnew MPE including tips, installed it and then figured out that it is in fact the tips. The foreman put it on the hoist for me and I can now clearly see what the issue is: the inner, perforated pipe of the tips, onto which the carbon fiber tips are rivetted, must be pushed all the way in to have a conical seat with the exhaust pipe. Those who installed or uninstalled the tips themselves know, that the tips are only held in place by the conical seat on the pipe plus one tiny little screw which is holding the tips in place in the horizontal plane. You can move the tips backwards and fix them in place, but you lose the conical seat. Under normal circumstances, this rather underwhelming piece of engineering, with the conical seat plus the tiny screw, should not rattle, but!! as soon as a) temperature changes, i.e. colder weather, or b) the tips are adjusted backwards to align for example with the diffuser and don't sit on the conical seat anymore, or c) the tips move slightly away from the conical seat through vibration over time, the front end of the tips, which is usually tight with the exhaust pipe where it increases in diameter towards the welding, has some gap! Now combine that with the cold start frequency and the movement of the exhaust pipes during cold start, the inner pipe of the tips is rattling against the exhaust pipe like a baby rattle! So, that is the reason, why I got my M2 back, with the left side tips sticking out 2/3" further than the right side tips! The foreman showed me that all tips are pushed all the way in, so they sit snug on the conical seat. And as the exhaust has its pipes cut/welded slightly different in length (how the heck did it go through the quality control of the exhaust manufacturer, with 2/3" difference in length!?), I have now the option of tips, which are aligned on both sides with the diffuser, or I adjust the right tips 2/3" towards the back and lose the conical seat, increasing the rattle during cold start.
In summary: horrible tolerances in production of the MPE base exhaust and an anything but sufficient way of holding the tips in place.

P.S. I should mention that mine is the MPE which came with my 2018 M2. I read further up on the page that earlier versions may have an issue with the exhaust clamp itself. That for sure seems to be a different issue.
Summed up perfectly and exactly my findings - saves me a trip to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #84
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder99 View Post
Update 20-Nov-2018:

And that ladies and gentlemen is why I didn't buy an MPE
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #85
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I’d still buy it tomorrow knowing of this fault.

It doesn’t last long and is easily remedied - yes you shouldn’t have to but it’s still a fantastic bit of kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #86
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I’d still buy it tomorrow knowing of this fault.

It doesn’t last long and is easily remedied - yes you shouldn’t have to but it’s still a fantastic bit of kit.
Agree. IMO, MPE is the best looking and arguably the best sounding exhaust out there. Every other product out there looks after market ( cause they are ). I would buy it again knowing the rattle that last 5 seconds. PS: I fixed the rattle (95% down) by welding the stock pipe to the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #87
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Now here is the thing: Despite the annoying rattle during cold start, I would absolutely not want to miss my MPE and I would order it again with absolutely no hesitation The sound of the MPE is one of the things of my M2 which I love most. That should not take away from the already pretty good stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #88
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
It's interesting how some of us have experienced rattling at the midpipe where the slip joint hits the cross brace while others have experienced rattling at the tips.

I wonder if anyone has experienced both?