BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Competition Euro Delivery Journal

11-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #1
pnosker
ti fan
Rep
Drives: 14 12C | 17 X5 50i | 19 M2C

Garage List
M2 Competition Euro Delivery Journal

As some back story, I reserved my M2C with a down payment immediately after hearing the first "M2 CS" rumors years ago... I've been waiting a very long time to do this!

I ordered from Flemington BMW and got their first slot and was told my car would likely be able to be picked up in Munich in December, but got a call mid October that it was moved up to October for immediate delivery. Something about slot changes. I couldn't make it any earlier due to other obligations so the car sat, built, from October 5 til I picked it up on November 14, somewhere in Germany! Sorry for the neglect!

The car is in Hockenheim Silver (can't pass up a brand new unique color) with orange seat accents, with the executive package and DCT with black wheels. I was seriously considering the manual, but after trying to teach my wife stick in my 135i for years and her becoming competent but too afraid of messing up in a real-life situation, I decided to go for the DCT.

The plan was to fly into Geneva on Nov 11 in the morning, spend that day exploring, move onto Luzern the day after, then the following day (Nov 13) take a train to Zurich and hop on a bus to head to Munich for the night before delivery.

On November 14 we picked the car up! Originally scheduled for a 9:40 delivery, it was moved up 20 minutes. We followed with the factory tour and museum, then spent the night brewery hopping around Munich while the car sat at the hotel.

The following day we headed to Salzburg, Austria, to visit a couple we are friends with. Before heading out of the Munich area, we had a somber visit to Dachau Concentration Camp.

Hopping on the Autobahn for the first time in this beast was amazing. I've driven in Germany several times, once picking up my father's 2012 335i M sport, and taking it on a 1000 mile journey around Europe, but this was different. This was my own, real M car.

After arriving in Salzburg, my friend met us without his wife so we could go drive up the Gaisberg. It was very foggy, but he said the webcam looked awesome with the clouds hovering just midway up the mountain. It was unbelievable. We got to the top and he said he's never seen anything like this. I hadn't either. I let him drive back down as a thank you. He said the car felt a little different than his VW Up! We followed up by taking a walk through town seeing all the big sights including Mozart's house, and finished at the Augustiner brewery with his wife. We tried the Munich Augustiner the day before as a comparison test and my wife is convinced the Salzburg location is far better.

The following day we headed back to Germany towards Stuttgart with the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche museums planned with a final stop for the day in Heidelberg. At the border crossing to get back into Germany, we were stopped by the German Polizei. I suspect it was to check the car out since as we were leaving, the officer asked us to rev the engine and to accelerate hard out of the hangar. After a 4 hour drive with lots of traffic, we finally made it into Stuttgart and saw the two museums (which were both very neat, though the Porsche museum was a bit smaller than the BMW Museum and the MB Museum). Another 2 hours later we were in Heidelberg.

The next morning we got up and headed to the Heidelberg castle. It was magnificent, despite being half destroyed by lightening strikes and war. We then headed to the Hockenheimring to grab some pics of the car next to its color's namesake track. The track wasn't open for tourist drives, but it was still neat to see. We then headed to Frankfurt where we got stuck in pedestrian traffic several times and had many young guys oogle over the car. It was pretty neat, but also a little frustrating when they would hold up the ability for me to drive because they jumped in front to grab a picture. We finished the day by driving to Boppard along the Rhine where we'll spend the next two nights.

The first day in Boppard we spent driving north along the western coast of the Rhine to castle-see on the way to the Nurburgring. We stopped by a couple neat castles (Marksburg and Stolzenfels) and checked out the Nurburg Castle as well as the Nurburgring info center. The views were spectacular at the top of the castle! Unfortunately, the track was closed for repairs, but my wife and I were able to drive it last fall in a 430i which was a great experience.

After the second night in Boppard, we headed to Trier, a city in the west of Germany around 1 hr from Luxembourg City. It's known for being the birthplace of Karl Marx and has recently been popular with Chinese tourists for this very reason. It's a nice, quaint city with some very cool buildings built by the Romans including the city gate known as Porta Nigra, built in 170 AD. It's in great shape for being so old. We spent a few hours in Luxembourg City but the weather was miserable, so we quickly saw the sights and headed back. The gasoline is much, much cheaper in Luxembourg and there were streets of just gas stations near the border. Keep this in mind if you ever make the trip and want to fuel up in the area. We headed back to Trier to see the gate and walk around, then headed back to the hotel.

The following morning we drove up to Munster to see the sights (would have stopped in Cologne but have already been there last year). We visited the two cathedrals and then it started snowing, and the M2C is on the stock Michelin PSS, so we got out as quick as we could to head to our AirBNB located in Rieste. We got to the AirBNB without hitting any accumulated snow, thankfully, and didn't have any issues besides getting in some construction traffic.

The final day we dropped the car off at the terminal and saw the Hamburg city hall, the St. Nicholas' church memorial, and a really neat Winter festival. We headed home the next day.

The trip was amazing and I would recommend Euro Delivery to anyone interested in seeing Europe in your own car.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by pnosker; 11-23-2018 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 4
nomoracin758.00
akkando5860.00
srwatters146.00
      11-17-2018, 03:24 AM   #2
Woots
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4///M Roadster

Awesome pics! Looks like a great trip!
Out of interest how long do they give you on the car turnstile before you have to move it off ready for the next person picking up their car?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #3
airborne777
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congratulations on your new car!
Thank you for sharing your trip details and pictures!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woots View Post
Out of interest how long do they give you on the car turnstile before you have to move it off ready for the next person picking up their car?
I don't remember having a time limit on there. They have tons on spots. We wanted to stick around longer after initial collection, so they just kept it in the valet area.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
pnosker
ti fan
Rep
Drives: 14 12C | 17 X5 50i | 19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woots View Post
There were only maybe 20 deliveries set for my day, so I could have been out there for a long time. We had an hour though, from start to finish including the tutorial on how to use the features of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Thanks for posting! Great journal. Sounds like a great trip! Your photos have only reinforced my desire to do my next ED in the fall. The colors in some of those shots are amazing.
Appreciate 0