BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Loss of Position in Playlists & Tracks using BT & iPhone

07-02-2018, 03:28 AM   #1
robmx
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Loss of Position in Playlists & Tracks using BT & iPhone

I've had my M2 for a over month now and one thing that's really annoying me with i-drive is the constant loss of position/track/location in a playlist when my phone reconnects to the car. I listen to a lot of DJ mixes, some may be up to and over 3 hrs length, so I'll be part way through a mix/track I'm listening to and then the next time I get in the car, it's either returned to the beginning of the track or worse still returned to the root of my library on the iphone. I actually don't mind the track restarting as I can scrub to roughly where I was on my phone quickly enough, but the loss of my previous position in the playlist has me reaching for my trusty CD wallet and giving up on my iphone and bluetooth connection more times than I'd like.

I guess all I'm asking is if there is a setting or a fix to this I'm missing or just a general flaw with bluetooth connections etc as the media system in my Golf did this occasionally, just not as frequently as in the BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Fuman
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmx View Post
I've had my M2 for a over month now and one thing that's really annoying me with i-drive is the constant loss of position/track/location in a playlist when my phone reconnects to the car. I listen to a lot of DJ mixes, some may be up to and over 3 hrs length, so I'll be part way through a mix/track I'm listening to and then the next time I get in the car, it's either returned to the beginning of the track or worse still returned to the root of my library on the iphone. I actually don't mind the track restarting as I can scrub to roughly where I was on my phone quickly enough, but the loss of my previous position in the playlist has me reaching for my trusty CD wallet and giving up on my iphone and bluetooth connection more times than I'd like.

I guess all I'm asking is if there is a setting or a fix to this I'm missing or just a general flaw with bluetooth connections etc as the media system in my Golf did this occasionally, just not as frequently as in the BMW?
I've not had a good experience with the entire BT audio experience either. Not sure if it's BMW or iOS but it's never a seamless enjoyable experience eg plays from where it left off, let alone play when you want it to, play from playlist etc. Maybe others have a better experience.
      07-04-2018, 03:05 AM   #3
robmx
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Did a bit of further reading into this yesterday and it appears the problem is within IOS. From what I understand, it clears the stored positional data from memory after a short period of time. It's a reported problem not only when streaming to cars, but also speaker, headphones etc.

I've seen some people discussing a 'playlist bug' and whether there's any truth in this I don't know. I'll post back if I manage to get to the bottom of it.
Appreciate 0