BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > My thoughts on every single intake available.

03-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #23
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

OP thank you for the taking the time and sharing your opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #24
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Thoughts - Undesirable, whistling noise after whooshing sound completes. Sounds like someone is blowing across the top of a bottle. I can hear the sound in ALL youtube videos I've seen showcasing the sound of the Eventuri. Check out 3:22 in this video to hear the sound
Let me clarify on the Eventuri as I have it. The whistling sound you hear, you ONLY hear that when at a stop and revving...

You don't hear this while driving, unless for whatever reason you're revving while you drive lol.

Thanks for sharing this post.

I can confidently say, stock air box is the BEST! Throw a BMC drop in filter and call it a day, maybe even an Eventuri Air Scoop for fun lol. That being said, I love the way the Eventuri sounds, I think I replied to your posts in another thread, I wasn't exactly sure what sound you were referring to but now I do.

That whistling sound is negligible under all driving conditions...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:35 AM   #25
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Efficient FMIC upgrade > than CAI by far! Do that and call it a day. CAI waste of time and money in comparison
      03-06-2018, 03:36 AM   #26
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
My thoughts on every single intake available:

1000% true
      03-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #27
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
Throw a BMC drop in filter and call it a day, maybe even an Eventuri Air Scoop for fun lol.
Great advice.

BMC filter is oil'd. Oil getting into the intake = Dirty MAF sensor and eventual fault codes/CEL.

Air scoops can cause air turbulence. While they are good in theory, most don't actually help airflow, they hurt it.

What would actually help our cars would be a ram air intake system where the filters are actually directly in the path of oncoming cold air
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #28
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Great advice.

BMC filter is oil'd. Oil getting into the intake = Dirty MAF sensor and eventual fault codes/CEL.

Air scoops can cause air turbulence. While they are good in theory, most don't actually help airflow, they hurt it.

What would actually help our cars would be a ram air intake system like you see in the M6 where the filters are actually directly in the path of oncoming cold air:

There’s barely any oil on the filter...when you touch it no oil residue.

Maybe it hurts it eventually? Idk. I never had problems.

I don’t think the air scoop hurts or helps. If you look at the path with the Eventuri/their shroud that goes under the cone...it’s just “adding” more air. Whether that helps or not, idk.

I also don’t think any intake would help lol, especially not MSR type ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #29
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
I also don’t think any intake would help lol, especially not MSR type ones.
I'm all for leaving it stock, I just think (in theory) a filter positioned behind the grill that's directly in the oncoming path of cold air would actually lower IAT's. Yeah, it's more exposed to debris and water, but at least it's not sucking in hot air like most of the other aftermarket options that don't have sealed boxes.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN15930.50
      03-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #30
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm all for leaving it stock, I just think (in theory) a filter positioned behind the grill that's directly in the oncoming path of cold air would actually lower IAT's. Yeah, it's more exposed to debris and water, but at least it's not sucking in hot air like most of the other aftermarket options that don't have sealed boxes.
I see what you’re saying, it’d be nice to have a comparison to see what that difference would be.

With my set up, IAT’s are usually 8-10 degrees above ambient temperature. That fluctuates with the ambient temp. And after multiple pulls.

That being said, I want to say Eventuri is pulling in fresh air when driving. The only time hot air will be sucked in, will be from a stop which will quickly become “cool” air from outside as you drive off. So I don’t think it’d affect one.

Wagner IC helps a bunch!
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      03-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #31
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Thanks for all the research that you have put into this but bottom line no power, you're better off with a drop-in filter

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      03-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #32
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I have the CTS intake and it is just ok as far as build quality goes. While it mostly sounds great, it has this annoying whistle that either has disappeared over time or I just don't notice it anymore after having the intake for a while.

I actually dremeled the plastic wire cover so that it would fit with the intake and still protect the wires in that box. Figured that buying another cover down the road is a small price to pay.

Eventually I would love to get the Eventuri, it is just beautiful. I know the intakes don't really add any power, but like a cat-back exhaust, the sound is worth it IMO.
      03-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #33
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
I have the CTS intake and it is just ok as far as build quality goes. While it mostly sounds great, it has this annoying whistle that either has disappeared over time or I just don't notice it anymore after having the intake for a while.

I actually dremeled the plastic wire cover so that it would fit with the intake and still protect the wires in that box. Figured that buying another cover down the road is a small price to pay.

Eventually I would love to get the Eventuri, it is just beautiful. I know the intakes don't really add any power, but like a cat-back exhaust, the sound is worth it IMO.
Yeah Eventuri is the way to go! But I wish BMS didn’t throw a CEL. For the price you can’t go wrong. BMS’ response to the CEL get JB4 and run mafless....

But I don’t want to run a JB4 lol I’m flash tuned for a reason...

I’m sure my BM3 tune could be made to work with BMS but eh not down. ALSO, where the filter attaches to the rotomolded plastic tube, its not reinforced with metal so under heat it can deform and essentially the filter won’t be sealed or could fall off.

I say $1000 is a reasonable price for an intake on a car like this. I wish there was a plastic version of the Eventuri, that’s what I’d get....I don’t care what the engine bay looks like, stock looks sexy enough to me.

Also, very curious on the other carbon fiber intakes out there, looking inside the carbon tube is it smooth like the outside? The Eventuri is not smooth at all, I can see how that could potentially affect flow...cause turbulence in certain areas.

But in the end, stock intake is superior. Does stock intake suffice with say PURE Stage 2 + auxiliary fueling, like 500 hp area?
Appreciate 1
Bazgab132.00
      03-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #34
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]

Ths may look cheap but it worked...without the sheet metal and DEI Heat barrier intake temps went up drastically in lower gears and mid RPM range...this brought them to stock and let me really hear the turbo and blow off valve...NO CEL

In the long run I still switched back to OEM.

Last edited by DKX4///M; 03-07-2018 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #35
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Can vouch for the Injen. Sounds absolutely brutal paired with a straight-through exhaust setup. Some "fluttering" sounds on lift at certain speeds, but doesn't bother me. No CEL.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #36
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

OP here. I went with the Eventuri and installed it today. It's actually not as loud in cabin as I was expecting. The BSR intake on my Saab 93 Aero is much louder. The intake sound is louder and there is a loud blow-off sound when I let off the gas on the Saab. My Saab is also tuned, so maybe the higher boost is making it louder. More air being sucked in and more being blown out.

As for the Eventuri, mine has the new filter style and it still has the bottle blowing whistling sound. I think it's unique, so I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. And it definitely does make that sound while driving. But it's only when I let off the gas. The most noticeable time this happens is in Sport+ with the DCT auto rev matching when I downshift approaching a stop sign. Which I end up doing quite a bit because I live in a city.

After removing my stock airbox, I totally see why stock is probably sufficient. Adding the Eventuri scoop to stock would probably have lower IATs than any of the other intake options.

I kinda wish I did try the BMS intake, so I could report on if I got a CEL. But I didn't want the hassle of having to return it and buy the Eventuri if it did happen. I just wanted something I knew worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 01:33 AM   #37
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Any thoughts on this MSR intake?

https://modeautoconcepts.com/collect...takebmw-m2-f87
Attached Images

05-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #38
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Garbage
Appreciate 2
McPurrs290.00
Yiruna393.50
      05-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #39
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
They quoted "20-30 hp increase with just bolting on"...that makes me suspect of the company right there.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #40
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

"No Heat Shield, but maybe the carbon surround shields some heat."

Carbon dissipates heat better I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #41
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post

Thanks for that. I've been searching for a drop in dry panel filter. I wouldn't put a K&N on my push mower.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #42
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Say no to intakes. Also say no to oiled filters.BMW MAFs hate them.

Best thing you can do is put a new OEM filter in it. Done. If you have a compulsion to spend more money, drop an AFE ProDry S filter in.
      07-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #43
BMW_MSquared
Enlisted Member
Falkland Islands
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCi

For those asking if the BMS intake still generates CELs, I can confirm YES. I just installed mine yesterday and now have a CEL after about 50 miles of driving.

Only mod on a brand new car. Sounds amazing, but if I can’t get rid of the CEL, I’m going to return it and go back to stock. Not getting a JB4 too just to get rid of a CEL.

One thing that I’m wondering since I have a DCT. The placement of the MAC and the tube coming from the DCT are reversed. Could this be the cause? Is there some form of pressure coming back through the DCT tube that’s throwing off the MAF reading? Can’t seem to find the answer to fix this problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 12:22 AM   #44
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_MSquared View Post
For those asking if the BMS intake still generates CELs, I can confirm YES. I just installed mine yesterday and now have a CEL after about 50 miles of driving.

Only mod on a brand new car. Sounds amazing, but if I can’t get rid of the CEL, I’m going to return it and go back to stock. Not getting a JB4 too just to get rid of a CEL.

One thing that I’m wondering since I have a DCT. The placement of the MAC and the tube coming from the DCT are reversed. Could this be the cause? Is there some form of pressure coming back through the DCT tube that’s throwing off the MAF reading? Can’t seem to find the answer to fix this problem.
Don't think so. The Eventuri has them reversed as well and I don't get CEL's.
Appreciate 1