BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > The M2 HK sound system: What you should know first

07-29-2016, 05:13 AM   #23
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
If you want to upgrade the audio system with something aftermarket (I don't know what the possibilities are) is it better to start from the base audio system or from the HK system?
I ordered HiFi Professional and not HK as (like you) I didn't like how it sounded on a test drive.

The HK system, widely regarded as 'acoustically flawed' on the forums, costs the equivalent of €752 in Sweden and so far i've spent €230 on upgraded front speakers/tweeters. Once i've installed them will see if I need to spend another €100 on rear JBL's and/or €100 on the ASD harness.

If I install all of the above it is still €300 cheaper than the factory fit HK

I'm following this thread about upgrading from HK, have a read and reach your own conclusions

Quote:
someone told me the system needs to play at least 10 hours to "play in" and then the sound would be better
I think that's how people justify to themselves for wasting €752 on HK Seriously, at the end of the day many owners are happy with the HK system but my view was why pay for something you don't like or want.
      07-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #24
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
I ordered HiFi Professional and not HK as (like you) I didn't like how it sounded on a test drive.

The HK system, widely regarded as 'acoustically flawed' on the forums, costs the equivalent of €752 in Sweden and so far i've spent €230 on upgraded front speakers/tweeters. Once i've installed them will see if I need to spend another €100 on rear JBL's and/or €100 on the ASD harness.

If I install all of the above it is still €300 cheaper than the factory fit HK

I'm following this thread about upgrading from HK, have a read and reach your own conclusions

I think that's how people justify to themselves for wasting €752 on HK Seriously, at the end of the day many owners are happy with the HK system but my view was why pay for something you don't like or want.
Thanks for the link! So the HK of the M2 is exactly the same as on every other 2 series… Makes sense! I was thinking that maybe the amplifiers of the HK are better and so the HK is a better starting point for upgrading instead of the lower spec HiFi system. The HK option is costing me 420euro and it's on my car. No the end of the world…but if it stays crap then that is indeed wasted money

I have read in that link that disconnecting the center speaker makes an improvement…something I can easily try. So with that in mind I was thinking of ordering this front and rear speaker set from BAVsound as a direct plug & play replacement (without the center speaker off course). I have friend who goes do the USA on a regular time…so they can bring it for me and I don't need to pay shipping charges or custom taxes. The price is around 600euro for this set.

07-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #25
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I think the HK upgrade is worth €420 as you do get an extra amp and speakers and agree disconnecting the centre channel is a logical start point, but it certainly isn't worth the list price.

I compared the BAVsound/Focal/ETON upgrades and settled on ETON purely on OEM fittings, availability plus getting them for a good price on Amazon.

Recently there have been a few bad reviews of the BAVsound upgrade due to poor build quality - magnets falling off speakers - so didn't fancy having to return them to America.
      07-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #26
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
I only heard the HK system in a brand new test M2…someone told me the system needs to play at least 10 hours to "play in" and then the sound would be better
Wow. They train their salespeople well.

I think back to my circa '96 Z3 and the worst thing about it was the sound system. At the time my future wife drove a base model Honda Civic that had a stock sound system that sounded way better than the Bimmer. The HKs in our two current BMWs (one with upgraded "premium" sound) are also underwhelming. Has BMW ever had good stock sound systems?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 04:39 AM   #27
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
I think the HK upgrade is worth €420 as you do get an extra amp and speakers and agree disconnecting the centre channel is a logical start point, but it certainly isn't worth the list price.

I compared the BAVsound/Focal/ETON upgrades and settled on ETON purely on OEM fittings, availability plus getting them for a good price on Amazon.

Recently there have been a few bad reviews of the BAVsound upgrade due to poor build quality - magnets falling off speakers - so didn't fancy having to return them to America.
Thanks for the advice....
By the way; cool that you you used to own a CSL
      07-31-2016, 04:31 PM   #28
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Wow. They train their salespeople well.

I think back to my circa '96 Z3 and the worst thing about it was the sound system. At the time my future wife drove a base model Honda Civic that had a stock sound system that sounded way better than the Bimmer. The HKs in our two current BMWs (one with upgraded "premium" sound) are also underwhelming. Has BMW ever had good stock sound systems?
To be fair, all speakers need a break in period, anywhere from 10 to 30 to 50 hours depends on the type, build, use, etc.

It won't help the HK in the M2 though - you'd be going from shit to slightly less shit.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #29
srironman911
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW M2

Quote:
Thanks for the link! So the HK of the M2 is exactly the same as on every other 2 series… Makes sense! I was thinking that maybe the amplifiers of the HK are better and so the HK is a better starting point for upgrading instead of the lower spec HiFi system. The HK option is costing me 420euro and it's on my car. No the end of the world…but if it stays crap then that is indeed wasted money

I have read in that link that disconnecting the center speaker makes an improvement…something I can easily try. So with that in mind I was thinking of ordering this front and rear speaker set from BAVsound as a direct plug & play replacement (without the center speaker off course). I have friend who goes do the USA on a regular time…so they can bring it for me and I don't need to pay shipping charges or custom taxes. The price is around 600euro for this set.

I'm in Taiwan where HK comes standard in M2, is this BAVsound upgrade necessary called GHOST UNDERSEAT SUBWOOFER UPGRADE? Anyone tried them? or how do I add more bass to my factory HK? Need to know fast since picking up M2 tomorrow and need decent stereo system soon...
Appreciate 0