BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CFRP roof of my M2 CS features a deformity - Replacement proposed

04-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #89
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Some of the "you should do..." are just plain laughable.

Stop looking at the car as an investment or worrying about resale.

Have it fixed and enjoy it. If you don't and sell it back. The dealer or BMW will fix it and resell it at some crazy price that will have you fuming the rest of your life.
If your car was in an accident and the frame was bent, you're ok with them straightening it? Never mind a car that's straddling street and track use and is also brand new.
One we're not talking a bent frame and that's typically a total loss.

No one here has a problem removing the front subframe to install the dubious crank capture bolt or rear subframe to install a sway bar but get their pants in a bunch pulling the roof and gluing in a new one. Not like the car will split in two when they remove the roof. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe there are cross members just not structural (could be wrong about this part) This isn't rocket science.

If the OP is worried he has his options warranty repair or sell back.

New is not a choice, shipping car back to Germany and putting it back on the line is absurd, suing is what's wrong with this world and lemon law will never fly.

Fix the car, drive it, if it has problems resulting from the repair deal with them or then sell it back. The latter terms are what I would negotiate.

Don't want to come across as not caring and hope the OP finds a acceptable outcome. But some posts are a bit out there. People do frame off and/or replacements restorations everyday. Is a number 1 original mustang worth more than an restored one, hell yes but is a restored one worth less, hell no. People need some perspective. They act like these cars will not be in accidents, repainted, etc. In fact, dealer told me one CS had pretty bad shipping damage. Guess what, it was fixed and someone bought it.

Last edited by omasou; 04-25-2021 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
Kikuchiyo114.50
smknjoe234.00
      04-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #90
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
I feel like everyone wants this guy to send it back to BMW so there is one less CS in circulation making our cars more rare
Odd way of thinkin- most of us are just telling him what we’d do in those shoes. I could personally care less if there is -1 cs out there and quite honestly chances are if they did buy it back they’d end up selling to someone else so I don’t think it would be out of circulation anyway
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      04-25-2021, 04:11 PM   #91
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:

No one here has a problem removing the front subframe to install the dubious crank capture bolt or rear subframe to install a sway bar but get their pants in a bunch pulling the roof and gluing in a new one. Not like the car will split in two when they remove the roof. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe there are cross members just not structural (could be wrong about this part) This isn't rocket science.

New is not a choice, shipping car back to Germany and putting it back on the line is absurd, suing is what's wrong with this world and lemon law will never fly.

Fix the car, drive it, if it has problems resulting from the repair deal with them or then sell it back. The latter terms are what I would negotiate.

Don't want to come across as not caring and hope the OP finds a acceptable outcome. But some posts are a bit out there. People do frame off and/or replacements restorations everyday. Is a number 1 original mustang worth more than an restored one, hell yes but is a restored one worth less, hell no. People need some perspective. They act like these cars will not be in accidents, repainted, etc. In fact, dealer told me one CS had pretty bad shipping damage. Guess what, it was fixed and someone bought it.
I agree with you on the most part and feel that nothing should be expected to be perfect and nothing lasts forever. Everyone gets tired of their cars in 2-4 years anyways and most people are always happier with the car that replaced their old car. However, what about accountability? It seems like the quality of all products have gone downhill in the last few decades. If people accept lower quality then manufacturers are going to make the minimum cost effective product to get the most return. Why not just refurbish old cars and sell them as new? What's the difference between buying a new car and a cpo? And regarding letting the dealership fix the roof, they can't even take a wheel off without scratching it up.
Appreciate 2
f80_MG563.50
ROASTM163.50
      04-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #92
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
I feel like everyone wants this guy to send it back to BMW so there is one less CS in circulation making our cars more rare
I don't think this, I think we want to see that there is a remediation plan from BMW of some kind and that this is an isolated incident and not indictive of a bigger issue that will effect every car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 05:59 AM   #93
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullstack View Post
Quote:

I agree with you on the most part and feel that nothing should be expected to be perfect and nothing lasts forever. Everyone gets tired of their cars in 2-4 years anyways and most people are always happier with the car that replaced their old car. However, what about accountability? It seems like the quality of all products have gone downhill in the last few decades. If people accept lower quality then manufacturers are going to make the minimum cost effective product to get the most return. Why not just refurbish old cars and sell them as new? What's the difference between buying a new car and a cpo? And regarding letting the dealership fix the roof, they can't even take a wheel off without scratching it up.
There is accountability, BMW agreed the roof is not to spec and offered 2 options, fix or return. If everyone think so little of the dealer's capabilities then perhaps they should consider a different brand or at a minimum a different dealer. Unlike some I have 5 BMW dealers within a reasonable distance from my home. I go to one that is ~30 miles away, guess why.

These cars, M cars, are sometimes on the bleeding edge of technology, like the roof and sometimes, shit happens. People talked about the blemish on the new roof and that didn't stop one person from buying them.

Re: the general comment about quality overall. I agree and people should not accept inferior quality and should vote with their wallets. But again not the case here manufacture is stepping up and fixing the issue. The problem is not quality for some it's a lack of trust that the issue will be resolved correctly and for others it's because they are looking at the car as an investment and feel the future return is now diminished.

Last edited by omasou; 04-26-2021 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Tornado1M1211.00
      04-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #94
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
I don't think this, I think we want to see that there is a remediation plan from BMW of some kind and that this is an isolated incident and not indictive of a bigger issue that will effect every car.
Pretty sure the car came this way from the factory and the OP only happen to notice it while admiring the reflection in the roof. So yes hopefully not an issue that happens due to weather but also may not be the ONLY instance.

This is totally OT, but I think this type of roof is the beginning of testing for a new battery tech. Imagine if they replace the inside of what's in the current roof with what they are taking about here https://insideevs.com/news/410812/bm...plate-battery/
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #95
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
This is totally OT, but I think this type of roof is the beginning of testing for a new battery tech. Imagine if they replace the inside of what's in the current roof with what they are taking about here https://insideevs.com/news/410812/bm...plate-battery/
It's better to locate car battery packs and their cover plates at a low point of the car: lower center of gravity. Not as roofs or up/under roofs.

On a recently spotted BMW M2 test mule, a battery cover was mounted at the underside of the car. But this could also have been fitted merely to fool us (suggesting that it covers a battery pack, while it's in reality no EV or hybrid).

04-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #96
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's better to locate car battery packs and their cover plates at a low point of the car: lower center of gravity. Not as roofs or up/under roofs.

On a recently spotted BMW M2 test mule, a battery cover was mounted at the underside of the car. But this could also have been fitted merely to fool us (suggesting that it covers a battery pack, while it's in reality no EV or hybrid).

Agreed. Lower is better.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #97
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
There is accountability, BMW agreed the roof is not to spec and offered 2 options, fix or return. If everyone think so little of the dealer's capabilities then perhaps they should consider a different brand or at a minimum a different dealer. Unlike some I have 5 BMW dealers within a reasonable distance from my home. I go to one that is ~30 miles away, guess why.

These cars, M cars, are sometimes on the bleeding edge of technology, like the roof and sometimes, shit happens. People talked about the blemish on the new roof and that didn't stop one person from buying them.

Re: the general comment about quality overall. I agree and people should not accept inferior quality and should vote with their wallets. But again not the case here manufacture is stepping up and fixing the issue. The problem is not quality for some it's a lack of trust that the issue will be resolved correctly and for others it's because they are looking at the car as an investment and feel the future return is now diminished.
Let's say Sony is selling its flagship tv with defects where a noticeable amount of pixels will burn out and their accountability is to tell those affected to send their tvs into Bestbuy where their qualified technicians will replace the panel at cost to Sony. When replacing a panel, care must be taken to remove all of the adhesive and then apply the right amount of evenly distributed adhesive (by hand because they lack the robots that did it in the first place) or else in the short term, the tv will develop light bleed. That's what is happening here except that the vehicle is ALWAYS going to be resold by the owner sooner or later and the new buyer will care about the repair.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #98
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

They can lower the weight all they want with the battery packs. You still have a car that is at minimum 4000lbs+. For reference a Challenger Hellcat is 4450lbs. Once you're that heavy nothing you do will magically make the car feel nimble. Sure, they can do all sorts of stuff to put the power down, and give it grip. It'll even post amazing lap times. However, to the human behind the wheel, it won't be engaging.
Appreciate 1
f80_MG563.50
      04-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #99
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

I can confirm my CSR roof was installed from the top down. I doubt the street car roof was installed from the inside out so it should be a simple swap for them if my hunch is correct.
      04-26-2021, 09:42 PM   #100
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
I can confirm my CSR roof was installed from the top down. I doubt the street car roof was installed from the inside out so it should be a simple swap for them if my hunch is correct.
Glued in you think?
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      04-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #101
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

If I knew where and how it was going to be repaired and I was comfortable with the process and the experience of the people performing the fix, I think I'd go that route. But I'd dig down deep to educate myself on the shop.

This is not one of those things you just drop off at the dealership and pick it up a week or two later. I'd want to be there to see how it was done.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #102
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Glued in you think?
It's glued in either way but seeing how the metal frame and the roof meet each other, yes, glued in from the top down just like every other CF roof that's not part of a CF chassis
      04-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #103
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.lor View Post
So I just spoke with my dealership, they said I have a couple options. A) they (the dealership) can buy it back but at market value or B) I will have to contact bmw USA to get them to buy it back at full msrp plus taxes. According to the manager either way I choose there is no way to replace the CS because there are none left in the US and there are no more allocations to build a new one. He recommends that I get the car fixed under warranty and pursue compensation from BMW.
So, have you made any decisions on what route your going to take?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #104
Dark-Knight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

sell it back, youll never be happy, buy a competition or an M3, move on in life, if it was just cosmetic, I'd say no big deal, since its part of structure, Im saying-run away!

Last edited by Dark-Knight; 05-05-2021 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #105
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

This is like having a GT4 and getting a engine replacement recall.
I personally would not want to keep a car with a replaced engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #106
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
This is like having a GT4 and getting a engine replacement recall.
I personally would not want to keep a car with a replaced engine.
Why not? Last round of bad engines got a 10yr warranty. Nothing wrong with a replacement engine. It's not like the replacement was built to lesser spec or the installers were less proficient.

I'd take a replacement roof and try to get the 7yr extended warranty on the car, and lifetime on the roof. Then try to break it for the next 7 yrs.
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
smknjoe234.00
Kikuchiyo114.50
      05-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #107
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Who else been looking at their roof since this post lol. I want to know why this happened, dang.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1211.00
      05-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #108
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Why not? Last round of bad engines got a 10yr warranty. Nothing wrong with a replacement engine. It's not like the replacement was built to lesser spec or the installers were less proficient.

I'd take a replacement roof and try to get the 7yr extended warranty on the car, and lifetime on the roof. Then try to break it for the next 7 yrs.
Its just personal preference.
The extended warranty is great no doubt.
But the OCD person inside me just wouldn't be able to sleep well at night knowing my new car was taken apart for a major component swap.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #109
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
It's glued in either way but seeing how the metal frame and the roof meet each other, yes, glued in from the top down just like every other CF roof that's not part of a CF chassis
I'd say it is glued (bonded) from the inside up. In the manufacturing process before the windshield and back glass are added, it would be pressed up to meet the uniside panels where the roof bows would be with a CF skin or standard metal roof.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #110
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
This is not the same part, nor the same procedure. Again, the carbon roof option on the M2C is just a panel that sits on top of metal structure. The panel on the CS is the structure, and has different mounting.
Forgive my late reply, I actually now noticed your tag.

As it's been mention here, ad nauseam, I'm well aware that the CS' roof install procedure and actual frame is different from that of every other BMW carbon fiber top it preceded, as it's part of the vehicle's overall chassis but I just CC-ed that PDF of the M Performance roof install instructions to outline the ancillary task required in replacing the a top, not specially the CS.'

I'm actually waiting for NewTIS.com to drop an official install manual for the M2 CS but it's still on back-burner at the moment.

This is a honest question; do you have some sort of verifiable source for the installation instructions of the CS' carbon roof, other than conjecture?

Here is install instruction for a standard steel M2 roof. It seems like all of them require some sort of adhesive:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0