BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CFRP roof of my M2 CS features a deformity - Replacement proposed

04-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #67
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.lor View Post
After some thought and reading everyone's input I'm leaning towards trying to get BMW to buy back. It just makes me sick to the stomach having to send my brand new car in for major body work after just 1500 miles. I hope this is an isolated issue and no one else has to go through this. I'll keep you guys posted with any new developments. Thanks for the support!!
The following event may or may not have happened in Australia with a giant US manufacturer in the 80s with a massive problem-car.

Someone who may have bought a new vehicle and had it for a mere 9 months, 97 days of which said car may have spent in the service centre on and off, asked said giant to buy back the car.

The American giant would not buy the car back because it would open the floodgates to thousands of claims. They may or may not have kept fixing things under warranty which may or may not have repeatedly failed but the Giant would not admit liability by buying back the bucket of bolts.

The person who may or may not have purchased this car may have made a clever suggestion to the Giant after his QC lawyer might have told him it was impossible for him to win having permission spent thousands in legal fees already.

He might have suggested the Giant could have the dealer buy the car as a second-hand car from him including all the legal fees, financial damages due to persistent time off the road as well as all on-roads and other statutory costs.

The dealer may have paid a price for the second-hand car which might have exceeded twice the price of a new one.

The Giant may have bought the piece of rubbish from the dealer to use it in their factory for testing and paid the dealer a sum greater than they paid for it to trade it in.

This meant there was never an admission of liability by the Giant, and the buyer got all the expenses covered without having to go to court.

If this was an actual event, it would have been covered by some sort of confidentiality agreement which guaranteed the manufacturer keeping things under wraps, the buyer would have come out with enough to buy two cars, and at the end everyone had won.

In your case, you may wish to offer BMW a similar solution while there are still 3 DCT CCB CUP2 specimen left.

Your dealer would acquire one from a dealer in possession of one of these beasts at MSRP + a margin, have it transported to your end, and trade-in yours for the new one at no charge with all taxes and other expenses covered.

They may even be able to retrofit a European one to suit US regulations if you're not happy with DCT or CCB etc, and ship it over given there are allegedly dozens still sitting on the lots.

That, I would consider a win-win for all involved.
      04-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #68
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
As usual, very conscientious advice here, Artemis
To supplement your install videos, here's a PDF of the official instructions for laying down an M Performance carbon fiber roof, on the M2.
Not exactly a CS top but extrapolating from this general instructions, I believe, more or less, it gives you the gist of what the job entails.
No one asked for my 2 cents but I just want to say that if I was fortunate enough to have the pink slip to a CS, in an attempt to circumvent this inherent cosmetic defect, I would just do like Ferrari and Lambo and just paint my carbon fiber roof in the color of the body. - And right there, yet another one of life's perpetual problems is solved.
This is not the same part, nor the same procedure. Again, the carbon roof option on the M2C is just a panel that sits on top of metal structure. The panel on the CS is the structure, and has different mounting.
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      04-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #69
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
After some thought and reading everyone's input I'm leaning towards trying to get BMW to buy back. It just makes me sick to the stomach having to send my brand new car in for major body work after just 1500 miles. I hope this is an isolated issue and no one else has to go through this. I'll keep you guys posted with any new developments. Thanks for the support!!
The following event may or may not have happened in Australia with a giant US manufacturer in the 80s with a massive problem-car.

Someone who may have bought a new vehicle and had it for a mere 9 months, 97 days of which said car may have spent in the service centre on and off, asked said giant to buy back the car.

The American giant would not buy the car back because it would open the floodgates to thousands of claims. They may or may not have kept fixing things under warranty which may or may not have repeatedly failed but the Giant would not admit liability by buying back the bucket of bolts.

The person who may or may not have purchased this car may have made a clever suggestion to the Giant after his QC lawyer might have told him it was impossible for him to win having permission spent thousands in legal fees already.

He might have suggested the Giant could have the dealer buy the car as a second-hand car from him including all the legal fees, financial damages due to persistent time off the road as well as all on-roads and other statutory costs.

The dealer may have paid a price for the second-hand car which might have exceeded twice the price of a new one.

The Giant may have bought the piece of rubbish from the dealer to use it in their factory for testing and paid the dealer a sum greater than they paid for it to trade it in.

This meant there was never an admission of liability by the Giant, and the buyer got all the expenses covered without having to go to court.

If this was an actual event, it would have been covered by some sort of confidentiality agreement which guaranteed the manufacturer keeping things under wraps, the buyer would have come out with enough to buy two cars, and at the end everyone had won.

In your case, you may wish to offer BMW a similar solution while there are still 3 DCT CCB CUP2 specimen left.

Your dealer would acquire one from a dealer in possession of one of these beasts at MSRP + a margin, have it transported to your end, and trade-in yours for the new one at no charge with all taxes and other expenses covered.

They may even be able to retrofit a European one to suit US regulations of you're not happy with DCT or CCB etc, and ship it over given there are allegedly dozens still sitting on the lots.

That, I would consider a win-win for all involved.
I was thinking the same thing. Sure, they're sold out here, but I'd have to imagine BMW can 'find' one that meets your specs and offer it as a replacement.
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1209.00
      04-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #70
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post
This is not the same part, nor the same procedure. Again, the carbon roof option on the M2C is just a panel that sits on top of metal structure. The panel on the CS is the structure, and has different mounting.
That aspect was already pointed out in a previous comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
At least in Spring 2018, BMW offered a CFRP roof for the F22 2er, F87 M2, F87 M2 LCI and F87 M2C as part of their M Performance Parts portfolio (BMW part # 41 31 2460277). Classic 'on top' CF roof (keeping the roof drip rail with flaps and roof rack anchorage points + roof bow) - not the M2 CS only 'integrated' sandwich-structured composite CF roof (the M2 CS does not feature roof drip rail with flaps and roof rack anchorage points and also does not feature a roof bow). For ordering and installation, customers were referred to their BMW M dealers (though I can imagine that most would outsource this type of uncommon operation, preferring to steer clear from screwing up a car - this ain't no 'plug & play' type of operation).
This operation involves some serious surgery which should be carried out by experts. Bad idea to entrust the car to inexperienced hands for this kind of operation. 747s are flown by pilots with a 747 type rating. Folks without a 747 type rating "but who already experimented with a 747 on Microsoft Flight Simulator on their laptop" will be denied flying a 747.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
No one asked for my 2 cents but I just want to say that if I was fortunate enough to have the pink slip to a CS, in an attempt to circumvent this inherent cosmetic defect, I would just do like Ferrari and Lambo and just paint my carbon fiber roof in the color of the body. - And right there, yet another one of life's perpetual problems is solved.
Poochie, the trouble is that the referenced M2 CS roof features shape irregularities: bubbly/warped shapes (level differences) instead of a plain shape. So a roof repaint or wrap won't alter/hide the irregular shape of the blemished roof.

Though a repaint or wrap would hide the aesthetic issue reported in the first post of this thread (distorted weave pattern, an aesthetic issue that needs to be distinguished from the one that affects the referenced M2 CS).
      04-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #71
g.lor
Rep
Drives: M2cs

So I just spoke with my dealership, they said I have a couple options. A) they (the dealership) can buy it back but at market value or B) I will have to contact bmw USA to get them to buy it back at full msrp plus taxes. According to the manager either way I choose there is no way to replace the CS because there are none left in the US and there are no more allocations to build a new one. He recommends that I get the car fixed under warranty and pursue compensation from BMW.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3820.50
      04-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #72
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
So I just spoke with my dealership, they said I have a couple options. A) they (the dealership) can buy it back but at market value or B) I will have to contact bmw USA to get them to buy it back at full msrp plus taxes. According to the manager either way I choose there is no way to replace the CS because there are none left in the US and there are no more allocations to build a new one. He recommends that I get the car fixed under warranty and pursue compensation from BMW.
Try my suggestion if you will, what's there to lose?
      04-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #73
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
You could pursue A if you don't want to deal with BMW NA; but still worth it in my opinion pursuing B.
Even though market value is MSRP right now or higher.

Getting it fixed and trying to pursue compensation from BMW might be more difficult since a lot of companies get complacent if the actual issue is fixed.

That's a big if, as others have mentioned, it's structural, never offered as a retrofit, so it would highly unlikely that a detailed document exists to guide any body shop in the replacement procedure.

Even if one did, most US dealerships won't have the skilled personnel/equipment necessary to complete the task. If there are indeed no support braces under the roof, then maintaining the car's integrity while the roof is removed is also a major task.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #74
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
If installing the roof is so complicated I'm sure BMW would fly in the right people from SC, e.g. body shop instructor or something to make sure it's done correctly. For liability reasons if nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #75
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
There is a bodyshop in the BMW facility in SC. Wonder if they could do the replacement?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #76
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I would request BMW USA to send the car in Germany.. pay the transportation fees , then i may request them to do for me as a favor something individual for the inconvinience.
      04-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #77
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Discuss with BMW NA Customer Service. Your options are really a buyback or keep the car + some substantial monetary compensation ($15-20k). I've had a similar experience with another manufacturer and ended up keeping the car and taking the cash - I came out ahead and enjoyed the car.

If you do a buy back, ask for a substantial discount on a new M3/M4. They will work with you.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #78
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Ask the manager how he would feel if this situation happened to him personally, whether this situation complies with BMW quality standards (especially for the top-of-the-range BMW F87: the M2 CS) and whether it's a new approach of BMW customer care to put the burden of this kind of adverse situation on the customer. This ain't no case of some rim rash on a wheel or some tiny scratch on the fuel cap - this is about partially dismantling and rebuilding a brandnew BMW M2 CS outside the BMW factory.

The dealership should help you involving BMWNA to get this sorted out in a satisfactory way. They were happy to sell you the car and to receive the money. Due client care is not supposed to end the moment you drive off the lot after taking delivery.
Hedoniste3820.50
      04-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #79
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Is it a local dealership? If not you could always try your local dealership. I'm really surprised that they are unwilling to help you engage bmw NA. Id take a repair and payout if that's were an option. I'd also push for some sort of extended warranty that covers the roof.

What's the factory warranty for defects. I believe it's in the fine print. I thought it was longer than the standard warranty, but I might be mistaken.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #80
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Some of the "you should do..." are just plain laughable.

Stop looking at the car as an investment or worrying about resale.

Have it fixed and enjoy it. If you don't and sell it back. The dealer or BMW will fix it and resell it at some crazy price that will have you fuming the rest of your life.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #81
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Again, to reiterate; For legal purposes, you are best off allowing them to repair the car under warranty. Given the time that the repair will likely take, you may hit the criteria needed to lemon law the vehicle anyways. Once the vehicle has hit lemon law criteria, you are 100% in the clear and can decide how you want to proceed. You can either just keep the car because you are satisfied with the quality of the repair, or you can follow the lemon law process and you will be compensated 100% with no loss on your end besides some time and what little miles were put on the vehicle.

If you capitulate to the dealer just giving you a 'market value buy-back' you will loose out big time.

As for BMW corporate, I would not expect anything from them. You either allow them to fix it under warranty, or you don't. If you don't you get nothing. If you do, see above.

See - https://consumer.georgia.gov/lemon-law-process

Pay attention to the section that outlines how a manufacturer can satisfy repair attempts.

The final tidbit to all of this is that if you've reached lemon law criteria, most manufacturers will now be motivated to work with you to get the vehicle bought-back with you being compensated without the vehicle formally being lemoned. This is because if you force the vehicle to be lemon lawed, the vehicle title will be forever branded as lemon, and the manufacturer & dealer won't be able to resell the vehicle for very much money. They loose out more in this scenario, compared to if they just give you a buy-back settlement before hand.

Last edited by mchart; 04-24-2021 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
RideM317.00
      04-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #82
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Some good advice here and some good wish list items.

In my personal experience , if your service manager is not batting for you then you are going for have a real hard time with this in the beginning.

But as others have stated, if you reach lemon law requirements then you are golden.

Be careful that they don't pull the ," well parts are in Germany . We will attempt the repair in xxx days. "

Make sure that service repair order gets opened to get the days on service to start counting.

(Personal opinión , if this is truly a structural element, I would take the buy back in the same situation if it covered all out of pocket expenses)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:45 PM   #83
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Just claim with BMW and get them to compensate you then rather rip off the roof because the car will never be the same
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #84
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Some of the "you should do..." are just plain laughable.

Stop looking at the car as an investment or worrying about resale.

Have it fixed and enjoy it. If you don't and sell it back. The dealer or BMW will fix it and resell it at some crazy price that will have you fuming the rest of your life.
If your car was in an accident and the frame was bent, you're ok with them straightening it? Never mind a car that's straddling street and track use and is also brand new.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #85
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

If I was in your shoes I’d ask the dealer how long their buyback value at market is on the table - shouldn’t have a timeline but just in case. Market value is good so long as they don’t ding you for the damage that’s currently on the roof. I would then contact BMW NA and see what solutions are offered before deciding if I should take the dealer up on option A.

I’m not telling you what you should do, I’m saying what I would do.. and what I would do personally is get ride of this car ASAP- repair is going to be a slippery slope that’s just going to go downhill and ruin your ownership experience more over time.

And if I was in your shoes the new m3 and getting a discount on that would start to look really nice. If you have to take a loss in any capacity on the m2 cs then they should discount a new car to make up for it. Man again if it was anything but that freaking roof it would be .
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 08:34 PM   #86
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

I feel like everyone wants this guy to send it back to BMW so there is one less CS in circulation making our cars more rare
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
ROASTM163.50
      04-25-2021, 01:52 AM   #87
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Personally for me, I’d pursue either buy back options that covers what you paid and be done with the car. Us being enthusiasts who spend time on this forum talking about things in detail, this is not a normal car nor are we regular car buyers. Knowing such a critical part of what makes this model special was replaced in such a manner would ruin the ownership experience for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:47 AM   #88
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Sorry this happened to you OP. Personally, if this was a daily, then I'd have it repaired and keep it with some compensation and something in writing extending the warranty on the roof against leaks and creaks. if it was something I wanted to keep in a collection or an investment then I'd fight for a full refund at minimum and discount on a different vehicle if they wanted to retain you as a customer.
Appreciate 0