BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Did I screw up going with cup 2s?

02-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #89
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Don't get the cup2 if you enjoy a quiet drive.
Don't buy any M2 if you want a quiet drive.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52721.00
      02-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #90
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
That perhaps explains a little more why M went with the PSS over the newer PS4S given the performance focus of the CS.
As has been stated before, the deal for PSS on the F87 platform had been made, and it's quite hard to change that IIRC. The PS4S is clearly the better tire, and would do nothing but enhance the M2/M2C/M2CS.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:42 AM   #91
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Don't get the cup2 if you enjoy a quiet drive.
Don't buy any M2 if you want a quiet drive.
My M Car hierarchy of needs: Engine noise > exhaust noise > tyre noise
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #92
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
If the replacement PS4S would out-perform the PSS in every objective way as you wrote it BMW would not have to make any development, just throw these tires on the M2CS.
My opinion is about sunk costs w/ Michelin. They don't head on over to tire rack and purchase a set of tires for each car that is built. They buy the tires in a massive contract that lasts years. BMW already signed a contract w/ Michelin to produce that size PSS for the M2C. It's an already paid for cost in the BMW parts bin.

I'm sure the engineers would have loved to put the PS4S on the car instead, but given the priority of getting the Cup 2's on for pure lap/track times, the money was spent there along with other places as there is nothing wrong, really, with the PSS as a daily summer. It's only an issue when you start looking at replacements, and what is available at normal consumer prices. The OEM's have different considerations beyond what's the best or not, and as we all know, they already put the 'best' summer tire (Cup 2) on the car as an option anyways.

Last edited by mchart; 02-18-2021 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      03-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #93
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Guys - Please reach out if you are regretting getting Cup2's and want to sell them. I'm looking for a set - thank you!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #94
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Any experience with wet traction for the PSS's v. PS4's? For me, that is important.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #95
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
Any experience with wet traction for the PSS's v. PS4's? For me, that is important.
Thanks.
Wet handling: improved with the PS4S.

Jan 2017 video:

Oct 2018 video:

Aug 2017 video:
      03-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #96
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Yeah, if your goal is to get the exact BMW * (i.e. DT1) version of the Cup2 240 Connect tire, I would ask someone with those already to provide the Michelin part numbers. I see on the Michelin web site that, for example, there are two 265/35-19 'DT1' versions available...no idea what the difference is in those. Part numbers 13215 and 67497.
Does anyone know what the correct part number is for the Cup2 for the CS?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #97
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Yeah, if your goal is to get the exact BMW * (i.e. DT1) version of the Cup2 240 Connect tire, I would ask someone with those already to provide the Michelin part numbers. I see on the Michelin web site that, for example, there are two 265/35-19 'DT1' versions available...no idea what the difference is in those. Part numbers 13215 and 67497.
have you already written out yours?
      03-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #98
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
have you already written out yours?
No, I have PSS. I'll be swapping them for PS4S or Cup2 for the summer.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #99
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
The tire is so new that I don't think the websites have caught up with the tires.
If you have access to TireRack shipping then I'm pretty sure these are the ones that you want. If you check the option for OEM fitment it shows the M2CS.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Appreciate 1
Hulk Smash1027.50
      10-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #100
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
No waivers down here.

I doubt I would get the Cup2Cs if I lived in a very cold place though.

I think they're a no brainer if you are in a warm climate though. Agree with Dave, these were the development tyre for the car so you may as well get the 3 full course meal if you can.

Also Cup 2 and Cup 2C are a different tyre so the videos above are not that useful.

Love them so far. No problems in rain.

Now... the dust from these brake pads! That's another story.
We had our first rain in a while and driving with the CS Cup 2's weren't that great in the rain. Would step out with moderate acceleration and kept it right around 60 on the highways due to confidence.

4k miles on the tires, 55F temp.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:13 PM   #101
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman View Post
We had our first rain in a while and driving with the CS Cup 2's weren't that great in the rain. Would step out with moderate acceleration and kept it right around 60 on the highways due to confidence.

4k miles on the tires, 55F temp.
They really don't like being under 65 degrees. Must be careful at lower temps. Low temps and water are dicey. I still run them all year. Plan to replace them with another set. Still going strong at 8kmi
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:25 AM   #102
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Take em off. Install them when you sell the car 30 years from now.
Original tires stored properly brings all the monies
Think again.

"The point, kids, is if you have a car you don’t drive very often; or if you buy a car from a collection and it has low miles; or if you buy a car that has been sitting for any period of time, or used sporadically: check the tires, and change the tires. They may look like they are in good shape with not many miles on them, but if they are out of date and you don’t check, you won’t know anything’s gone wrong unless it’s too late. Learn from my stupidity in this situation, or from poor Roger [Rodas] and Paul [Walker]. As they say, the life you save, may be your own."
(source: http://www.thedrive.com/article/5189...rs-fatal-crash)

"During consultation with Michelin, the tyre's manufacturer, it was found that the car's tyres were nine years old. That would suggest that the Carrera's tyres had never been changed since the car left the showroom. Although Rodas probably didn't wear them out through driving miles, natural degradation through exposure to the elements over that time period could have affected the tyre's structure. The loads it is exposed to while cornering at 93mph mean that a weak tyre potentially contributed to a loss of control."
(source: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/pau...en-it-crashed/)

"Keyword old, and not worn out—there’s a difference. See, just because tires have only been used for a few thousand miles or so, it doesn’t mean they’re in good shape. In case you didn’t know, tires have an expiration date, sort of. Manufacturers stamp the date of production on the sidewall, and there’s an industry-wide rule that tires five years or older shouldn’t be mounted, much less considered safe. [...] It’s important to understand that rubber hardens, looses flexibility and adhesion as time goes by, even with optimal tread-depth."
(source: https://rennlist.com/articles/paul-w...porsche-crash/)
Appreciate 3
2taCoS279.00
Suds1598.50
chris7197334.00
      10-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #103
calspyderman
SR-71 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2CS

Garage List
Suit up and go into battle...

I concur with the fellow member who earlier said... you don't want to choose your tire based on how much debris you think it will throw up. Those Cup2s are a joy to drive and lean on - for me it is an integral part of the M2CS driving and ownership experience. None of us want to splatter our paint with chips... and my M2Cs is BSM! My advice to you is drive the car like you stole it - though it may sound counter-intuitive, tires and brakes is what makes a car a fast handling performance machine - that is what they are designed to do.

The car already comes with a patch of PPF on the front of the rear quarter panel - but I've PPFd the entire car. I recommend you at least PPF the nose, doors and rear quarter panels, and slap these babies on (front AND rear). They're carbon fiber and look good (in my case, they look OEM on a black car), there is NO drilling involved and make a difference - especially the FRONT ones. When ready to sell the car, peel off or replace the PPF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #104
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Anyone notice slightly more wear on the outter edge than the inner edge on the fronts? I thought mine were wearing pretty evenly, but I think I'll end up replacing them a little early. Rears look really even. This could be a problem since there isn't much that can be done up front without camber plates. Maybe I need to get an alignment check just to see. The front and rears could use more camber in my opinion.
      10-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #105
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Anyone notice slightly more wear on the outter edge than the inner edge on the fronts?
That is just a byproduct of the lack of negative camber. I have not noticed it on my PS4S tires yet because I run R compounds on the track -- but on my track tires the front outers are wearing much quicker for lack of camber.

Plates are on order and necessary for anyone tracking and even auto-xing the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #106
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestevesteve View Post
That is just a byproduct of the lack of negative camber. I have not noticed it on my PS4S tires yet because I run R compounds on the track -- but on my track tires the front outers are wearing much quicker for lack of camber.

Plates are on order and necessary for anyone tracking and even auto-xing the car.
It 'could' indicate too much toe-in as well. Yes?
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #107
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Duplicate post

Last edited by M Fifty; 10-27-2021 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #108
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Yes. It could be toe angle. Thank you for mentioning that.

When it comes to cars like these where we drive them as they probably were meant to be driven I tend to think all things outer wear are camber but you are correct, it very much could be something else.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 04:45 AM   #109
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Decades ago, my friend who managed a Toyota dealership showed me a Hilux they had just traded in.

Four years old, it had 1200Km on the clock and appeared in an immaculate shape.

I noticed, tyres on the driver's side had considerably more wear especially at the front. Front driver's side tyre had worn on the outside almost all the way in.

Baffled as I was, I quizzed him on that.

The vehicle was used inside a maximum security prison he told me. it was driven around the inner perimeter of the entire prison compound grounds in a clockwise circular path all of its life. In four years, the steering wheel had never been turned left.

Amazing things happen every day
      10-27-2021, 07:03 PM   #110
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
If the replacement PS4S would out-perform the PSS in every objective way as you wrote it BMW would not have to make any development, just throw these tires on the M2CS.
For whatever reason, BMW never does full tire re-development with an existing chassis. They will basically only make tweaks to what was locked in for the M3 of that generation. It has nothing to do with the performance of the new tire. The Z4M ran ContiSportContact 1 when it was very obsolete. Same with the 1M and the PS2. PSS became available while that car was out. You would just never see them develop PS4S for any F chassis. The G8x will always be on PS4S and not 5 or whatever comes next.
Appreciate 0