F87EVO4031.00
      01-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Bimmercs you are a google machine! A very thorough review of our beloveds

Keep the videos coming.

Last edited by ptgltw; 01-30-2021 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4031.00
Hedoniste3834.00
      01-30-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
Rev_Hi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 718 Spyder

I really enjoy his reviews. Another great M2 CS review! You could tell he was genuinely having a great time with it.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4031.00
MomoM3984.00
      01-30-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

"[The M2 CS] is, BY FAR, the best BMW that BMW makes." There is not a single thing he wishes were different about the car (except perhaps an 8th gear for the DCT for those who go that route). I'd say we can add this to the very long list of glowing reviews. When was the last time a BMW received this high a level of praise out of the gate?
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4031.00
Rev_Hi296.50
      01-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
Another great video from Motoman , enjoy
Bimmercs, henceforth you shall be dubbed Sir BimmerBot and from this day forth you are our patron Knight of all goodies CS.

I found one thing interesting which most other reviewers haven't really pondered upon in great detail, everyone is assuming there are 2200 of these made and yet there's no real hard evidence to prove to disprove that assertion.

What if this is not actually the case? What if, due to factory closures resulting from the pandemic, and the new emission laws in Europe, they actually made a few hundred less? Given they scavenged a few from Australia to meet orders in the US, is it not possible they didn't actually meet their 2200 target?

Only time shall tell
MinionM3492.00
Hedoniste3834.00
F87EVO4031.00
      01-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

I also enjoyed watching this review.

Of note, I did not know the manual gear box had carbon fiber "bits" to its construction.

Can't wait to see how these gears row! I've had e46, e92, and f80 manual gears boxes and I'm beyond excited to give a first row to the f87 CS gear box!!!
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4031.00
      01-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Thanks for posting. I think it was great that he took the time to detail the suspension differences between the Comp and CS.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4031.00
      01-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I found one thing interesting which most other reviewers haven't really pondered upon in great detail, everyone is assuming there are 2200 of these made and yet there's no real hard evidence to prove to disprove that assertion.
What if this is not actually the case? What if, due to factory closures resulting from the pandemic, and the new emission laws in Europe, they actually made a few hundred less? Given they scavenged a few from Australia to meet orders in the US, is it not possible they didn't actually meet their 2200 target?
Only time shall tell
The 2200 M2 CS cars figure was leaked in May 2019 over here on Bimmerpost with this rushed 'dealer bulletin' featuring accurate M2 CS info. But no word about that figure in press materials. Though a "2200" figure was name-dropped so now and then in car reviews (a figure which cannot be made up just like that collectively by car journalists).

Back in 2019 (pre-COVID-19 times) I heard through the grapevine that "close to 400" M2 CS cars were allocated for the US. Some spoke of "350 to 400" which was in line with the 400-ish figure that I had heard. But I refrained from being vocal about it.

In January 2020, it leaked that, apparently, BMW was no longer sticking to the 2200 figure:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
For your information guys... I am getting offered M2 CS cars left, right and center since the end of last week. I did some digging and I heard that BMW is planning to make more than 2200 pieces of the CS.
Dealers in certain BMW M specific countries have asked the headquarters to produce more, because they think they can sell more. It is unknown what this means for the total amounts and specific countries.
It is peculiar that the dealers whom are offering me the cars are all offering me April/May production slots, which if you are planning to make more is a rather intriguing thing.
Interesting development... If you missed out at your dealer, make sure to run back and see what they say. You might be able to pick one up, with discount even!!! No premiums here in Europe, but decent double digit discounts for the M2 CS.
This is something I did not expect. I was really thinking that they had a hard time getting rid of them, because of the hefty price tag. Time will tell what the real reason is, but it is interesting to see that out of nothing slots and cars are being offered.
Oh and for your information, I won't get one myself. My M2C is getting new brakes next month and some other things done. In a few months time, mine has all the CS parts I fancy, is lighter, handles better and offers better performance.
MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
I have been calculating and speccing up a M2 CS for a friend today and I fell of my seat what the damn thing costs... My good lord... With discount we are still talking 90K EUR netto.
With M2C models flying out of the dealer at like low 50's, I am like why oh why would you buy a M2 CS which seems to be not limited and produced as much as they can in Leipzig.
MR
MR., did you get confirmation from two separate sources that BMW canceled the '2200 cars' limit for the M2 CS ?
Subsequently (February/March 2020), COVID-19 hit the proverbial fan, triggering a mess in many ways worldwide, including a long drawn-out logistic nightmare. We all know that 2020 went down in history books as annus horribilis. As regards BMW: production came to a halt mid March 2020 for several weeks. Unknown whether BMW managed to catch up to manage production of (at least) 2200 M2 CS cars. Deliveries to many European customers were postponed till late Spring or Summer 2020. And US-spec production was just around the corner: production from September to December 2020.

On top of all that, by no means did the M2 CS sell like hot cakes over here in Europe (XYZ people showing interest for the M2 CS did not equal XYZ people effectively signing the dotted line on an M2 CS sales contract - naming the price must have triggered many "uh-oh" moments). Existing BMW customers were contacted by BMW dealers, asked whether they were interested to get an M2 CS, or whether they knew someone who could be interested. Everyone I personally know who was approached, declined: "overpriced". A BMW dealer honestly told me that BMW had "gone nuts" with pricing. Discounts were offered (I heard figures up to 24%). Response to the M2 CS was lukewarm, not because the car ain't good (well on the contrary), but mainly because the car was immodestly overpriced for a BMW 2-Series model. The "Limited Edition" claim didn't impress - it's just a marketing sales trick to charge more.

Do not buy the M2 CS as a financial investment (resale purposes). No, buy an M2 CS as an investment in driving smiles. Buy an M2 CS for yourself, not for a future buyer. Buy an M2 CS as a keeper: drive it till it falls apart or later pass it on to your kids as an oldskool dinosaur car from pre-electrified car world times, from that jinxed year '2020' that ended the world as we've known it.

So maybe amends were made in 2020 to allocate more cars to the US, shifting quantities to the US ? The US audience usually loves cars labelled 'limited edition'.

Now fast forward to today: it looks like 589 M2 CS cars will reach the US shores instead of "close to 400" (see here). Not all of those were/are spoken for and the vast majority seems to sell without markups.

Two posts from the past:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
They very well could make more 2200, but the demand would have to be exceptionally high.
Actually, although the '2200' figure was trumpeted in plenty of M2 CS release reviews during the November release (feel free to Google "BMW M2 CS 2200"), AFAIK that production figure does not feature in official public M2 CS press materials.
So, in principle, BMW could peddle back about the production quantity and sell more than 2200 (demand seems higher in the US, than in Europe).
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My suspicion is that a lot more than 350 to 400 are going to be dumped into the US market. I'm thinking 800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Well, maybe I am wrong about the inability to sell more than 2200
If BMW finally allocates lots of M2 CS cars to the US market, it will manage to get all 2200 cars moved (faster). Over here in Europe, "Limited Edition" marketing impresses less when quoting a '2200' figure and affixing a close-to-50% mark-up car bow.

f80_MG563.50
TopJimmy5458.50
AlpsRider2865.00
      01-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #10
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
Another great video from Motoman , enjoy
Bimmercs, henceforth you shall be dubbed Sir BimmerBot and from this day forth you are our patron Knight of all goodies CS.

Only time shall tell
I ,Sir Bimmerbot ,i promise that i will be your patron knight. I promise to be true to you in good reviews and in bad reviews , in madness and in sanity. I will love you and honour you all the days of my life.
cncmastr1587.00
      01-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Do not buy the M2 CS as a financial investment (resale purposes). No, buy an M2 CS as an investment in driving smiles. Buy an M2 CS for yourself, not for a future buyer. Buy an M2 CS as a keeper: drive it till it falls apart or later pass it on to your kids as an oldskool dinosaur car from pre-electrified car world times, from that jinxed year '2020' that ended the world as we've known it.
^
Just this !

Name:  01612031325.jpeg
Views: 653
Size:  826.8 KB
      01-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #12
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Great review. It may be too late for anyone he convinced.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #13
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
This! And there is something to be said about knowing you are driving something truly special while doing it. I am absolutely anxious for March/April to be able to drive it regularly again when the snow melts away and for that first track day to wind it out in full anger and feel everything it can truly do. I look forward to nerding out over it with other car enthusiasts that are excited to see something "rare" etc. It'll be an awesome ownership for what will hopefully be a very very long time!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4031.00
      01-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #14
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
This! And there is something to be said about knowing you are driving something truly special while doing it. I am absolutely anxious for March/April to be able to drive it regularly again when the snow melts away and for that first track day to wind it out in full anger and feel everything it can truly do. I look forward to nerding out over it with other car enthusiasts that are excited to see something "rare" etc. It'll be an awesome ownership for what will hopefully be a very very long time!
I clocked 22K km with my M2C in 2020. So I ain't part of the 'keep the mileage low for the next owner' league. You get the prerogative to enjoy your car - so exercise it.

Dolomites & Autobahn in 2020 (spreading the wings of freedom again after the covidified Spring lockdown - venturing into my favourite twisties & mountain passes):

Fly-by at dusk in Germany - very quiet roads with many unrestricted speed sections:
CarJunkie2616.50
F87EVO4031.00
Hedoniste3834.00
Jimjamz4581.50
AlpsRider2865.00
cbmmm3318.50
      01-30-2021, 05:38 PM   #15
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Beautiful trips Artemis!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #16
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I clocked 22K km with my M2C in 2020. So I ain't part of the 'keep the mileage low for the next owner' league. You get the prerogative to enjoy your car - so exercise it.
Dolomites & Autobahn in 2020 (spreading the wings of freedom again after the covidified Spring lockdown - venturing into my favourite twisties & mountain passes):
Damn Artemis, you never told us you lived in heaven
      01-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Beautiful trips Artemis!
You can do the same. Enjoy your eclectic F87 'pièce de résistance' this Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Great review. It may be too late for anyone he convinced.
Not quite if you followed the M2 section on Bimmerpost in 2019 - I told you all in advance:

September 2019 post:
Quote:
10 things that I may say, methinks:
  1. stance: the car ain't parked – it's waiting, ready to scramble at the push of its start button;
  2. size matters: close to E46 M3 size = pretty proper size;
  3. multi-purpose versatility: rather think "ace of all trades, master of many", than "jack of all trades, master of none";
  4. CCB: Coin Car Bling;
  5. CFRP: Car Fanatics Recognition Parts;
  6. MB: Mimic Bavaria;
  7. petrolhead community: "Hey BMW, what is the final base price for the M2 CS ?" – BMW: "¥€$."
  8. message to BMW M3 and BMW M4: "Cave canem !"
  9. message to 981 Cayman GT4: "Hi, I am your new track friend. Let's frolic."
  10. message to competing car brands: "Beware, BMW M got CookieS for your (potential) customers."
November 2019 post:
Quote:
It's no secret anymore that the M2 CS will be launched this month and produced next year. Very recently BMW M boss Markus Flasch coined it as "probably the most crisp and pure BMW M model we have launched in quite some time" and "it's phenomenal and drives like a race car with license plates" (see here).

The future will tell whether this new kid on the ///M block lives up to its high expectations. Based on what I know so far, I trust that the M2 CS is bound to become a very desirable BMW M car, a quintessential automotive gem setting a new beemer bliss benchmark: a properly sized, fast & powerful rear-wheel drive 4-seater with great driving dynamics, fine-tuned reliable 3.0 6-cyl powerhouse, cool design & presence, decent boot space, creature comforts and available with manual gear stick & M-DCT. You can comfortably drive your partner + two kids to the circuit, lap the circuit and all return home again with a smile, including a stop to pick up groceries. Quite practical and versatile/multipurpose.

Moreover, the M2 CS will also be one of the last models before BMW and BMW M fully implement the new 'design language' of big front end grilles. Very likely the last generation at the gates of the future era of 'grillefication', electrification, more front-wheel drive & all-wheel drive, more automatic/ZF transmission, less 6-cylinder & exhaust drama and further tightened regulations. And, hence, IMHO the M2 CS stands a good chance to be reputed as 'vintage'/'classic' in the future (so-called 'future classic'), a pinnacle car tech toy with still an 'analog' twist (instead of going fully digital) facilitating emotional connection.

But it risks to be a challenge to get hold of an allocation (build slot) (2200 cars worldwide, all built in 2020), features a peculiar Bavarian blue launch color and an immodest price-tag for a BMW 2er.

Unlike the E46 M3 CSL (SMGII), E92 M3 GTS, E90 M3 CRT, E92 DTM Champion Edition (Spengler), F82 M4 GTS, F82 DTM Champion Edition (Wittmann), F82 M4 CS, F80 M3 CS and F82 Heritage Edition, manual transmission will be available as standard feature on the M2 CS. BMW M boss Flash confirmed last Summer - in a general way about BMW M cars - that currently no plans exist to discontinue the manual gearbox (see for example here). However, almost certainly we won't see the M-DCT on the next generation M2 (G87). The M-DCT is on its way out.
      01-30-2021, 07:27 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Off-topic:

Dolomites (Northern Italy) = true driving heaven for our cars. An incredible place where these can show their true colors. Very gestures expressing enchantment in the paroxysms of BMW M intoxication revealing itself to the highest gratification: Freude am Fahren. Awesome fairy tale landscapes - amazing twisties. That's where I love doing stints up to 12 consecutive hours from time to time. Escapade: fully focused 'in the zone': machine, mountains & myself. And in the course eventually pushing BMW friends to exhaustion who join with their cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Artemis IS a driving machine, bc he never seems to tire on our travels thru the Alps.
Countless images inside my mind. Today is the future of yesterday. Die with memories, not dreams.

(pictures I did not take: #7, #8 and #13)
F87EVO4031.00
Hedoniste3834.00
MomoM3984.00
Wah2778.50
AlpsRider2865.00
cncmastr1587.00
      01-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #19
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Off-topic:

Dolomites (Northern Italy) = true driving heaven for our cars. An incredible place where these can show their true colors. Very gestures expressing enchantment in the paroxysms of BMW M intoxication revealing itself to the highest gratification: Freude am Fahren. Awesome fairy tale landscapes - amazing twisties. That's where I love doing stints up to 12 consecutive hours from time to time. Escapade: fully focused 'in the zone': machine, mountains & myself. And in the course eventually pushing BMW friends to exhaustion who join with their cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Artemis IS a driving machine, bc he never seems to tire on our travels thru the Alps.
Countless images inside my mind. Today is the future of yesterday. Die with memories, not dreams.
I'm truly in awe

You are a very lucky man

Thank you for sharing
      01-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #20
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

amazeballs.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:01 AM   #21
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Beautiful shots of a beautiful part of the world. Truly amazing Artemis
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #22
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Does not look like the "plat pays qui est le mien"... Unfortunately the Dolomites are 1,000kms away
Appreciate 1