BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Exhaust Sound Clip Request

11-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #23
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Really? Wow, that is very good news. How do you know?
I apologize, I should clarify that I do not know first hand since we don't have US cars yet. This is just from marketing material and the demo car from the LA show.

Quote:
Would adding port install MPE remove the "udder"? And would I just contact my dealer and request this?
Yes, the dealer should be able to take care of this. With that said, I've encountered enough ignorant SA's, so the BMW genius hotline might be another way to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Interesting, thanks! Pretty different price than just the M2 MPE from getbmwparts.com plus tips.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...em-18302412432
That one I believe is only for the OG M2. The one for the M2 Comp/S55 is $5303 (link below - 4168 exhaust and 1135 tips) so not terribly different. I have seen this drop down to the 4700 range in the past. They don't have M2 CS in the getbmwparts yet so I cannot confirm if this is indeed the same part for both cars.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...MtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 View Post
I like the stock tips of cs. Its similar to my e39 m5.
Ill probably do a delete on the CS to remove that rear belly. That exhaust hump reminds me of the milk breast of cows.
I do like the stock tips of the CS, much better than the thick walled tips of the M2/M2C, but, yeah, to your point I have no idea what they were thinking with the shape of the OEM exhaust. I'm not a fan of the exhaust height either on the M2 although on the 2020 M2C's it seems closer to the body and not hanging low like it's missing a bracket.
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #24
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

I do like the stock tips of the CS, much better than the thick walled tips of the M2/M2C, but, yeah, to your point I have no idea what they were thinking with the shape of the OEM exhaust. I'm not a fan of the exhaust height either on the M2 although on the 2020 M2C's it seems closer to the body and not hanging low like it's missing a bracket.[/QUOTE]

Will it be too much to cover that exhaust? Talk about ugly american cars, but that rear end is BUTT Ugly.

Dont see the exhaust on an m3/4/5/8?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #25
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do like the stock tips of the CS, much better than the thick walled tips of the M2/M2C, but, yeah, to your point I have no idea what they were thinking with the shape of the OEM exhaust. I'm not a fan of the exhaust height either on the M2 although on the 2020 M2C's it seems closer to the body and not hanging low like it's missing a bracket.

Will it be too much to cover that exhaust? Talk about ugly american cars, but that rear end is BUTT Ugly.

Lol, yeah, I've tried to find a reason for why the M2's exhaust hangs the way it does and haven't found the real technical/design reason. So unless someone can put me in touch with one of the engineers who worked on the car, I have given up on finding the reason behind it.

The MPE +/- a good rear diffuser does fix the problem, albeit a very expensive option.

Last edited by f80_MG; 11-06-2020 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #26
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-250, M2 CS

While I'd love to say you all are over-reacting to the exhaust look from the rear of the car.. I feel kinda concerned too since that's all anyone will ever see on mine!

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #27
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMrDrmr View Post
While I'd love to say you all are over-reacting to the exhaust look from the rear of the car.. I feel kinda concerned too since that's all anyone will ever see on mine!
It looks terrible. I'm just not sure if it's worth 5k to change. Especially without hearing it for a while. The last thing I want is an annoying drone in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #28
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
It looks terrible. I'm just not sure if it's worth 5k to change. Especially without hearing it for a while. The last thing I want is an annoying drone in the cabin.
I just removed the AA mid-pipe on my current Comp. Hopefully it will fit on my incoming CS.

Also, I sprayed the muffler on the Comp with high-temp BBQ matt black paint and it held up very well. Will definitely do same on CS.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      11-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #29
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMrDrmr View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #30
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
Quote:

Lol, yeah, I've tried to find a reason for why the M2's exhaust hangs the way it does and haven't found the real technical/design reason. So unless someone can put me in touch with one of the engineers who worked on the car, I have given up on finding the reason behind it.

The MPE +/- a good rear diffuser does fix the problem, albeit a very expensive option.
I'd read the odd muffler positioning is due to crash test safety passing.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #31
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Quote:
Really? Wow, that is very good news. How do you know?
I apologize, I should clarify that I do not know first hand since we don't have US cars yet. This is just from marketing material and the demo car from the LA show.

Quote:
Would adding port install MPE remove the "udder"? And would I just contact my dealer and request this?
Yes, the dealer should be able to take care of this. With that said, I've encountered enough ignorant SA's, so the BMW genius hotline might be another way to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Interesting, thanks! Pretty different price than just the M2 MPE from getbmwparts.com plus tips.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...em-18302412432
That one I believe is only for the OG M2. The one for the M2 Comp/S55 is $5303 (link below - 4168 exhaust and 1135 tips) so not terribly different. I have seen this drop down to the 4700 range in the past. They don't have M2 CS in the getbmwparts yet so I cannot confirm if this is indeed the same part for both cars.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...MtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz

Quote:
Ill probably do a delete on the CS to remove that rear belly. That exhaust hump reminds me of the milk breast of cows.
From what I've read BMW has historically designed these to improve aerodynamics in conjunction with the underbody panels.

I have no idea if that's actually true.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #32
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
From what I've read BMW has historically designed these to improve aerodynamics in conjunction with the underbody panels.

I have no idea if that's actually true.
I'm sure there is a two birds with one stone mentality going on here, but damn.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #33
WoodKnuckle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2cs Alpine White

Quote:
Yeah,I'm hoping some owners who've already taken delivery can answer that.
The stock CS exhaust does look nice, I think those tips are one piece with the exhaust (different from the OG or M2C where the tips sit on the exhaust.
Your correct, the tips on the CS exhaust are apart of the full exhaust, they are not sleeves.

I had an M3CS and it has the same exhaust setup as the M2CS.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #34
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

The stock M2C exhaust acoustics are more than adequate.

Since the M2CS exhaust is the same as the Competition exhaust, well, I am sure it sounds just fine too.

Still, I thought what the hell, and got the MPE. Surprised I could not find much by way of M2C owners with MPE, which is most likely related to the hefty cost. . . at any rate, I feel the price was worth it. What was good is now better.

You do not have to get the VERY expensive CF tips with MPE . . . and might prefer the non-CF tips if you like the bare CS exhaust tips?

I am in the apparent minority, but I really like the M2C exhaust ‘udder’ look. MPE is not as wide, but an udder, nonetheless.

On the mod front . . . I HATED the larger fender-to-tire gaps on my M2C . . . sorry, but the same problem persists with the CS. The MP Coil overs were obtained as a purely aesthetic pursuit but proved to offer ride/handling benefit. Not sure how the latter would play out with the adaptive suspension in the CS, but no doubt the fender-to-tire gaps would be addressed if compatible with MP coil overs.

///AVM
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 11-06-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
QM287.00
Hedoniste3834.00
      11-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #35
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Ignorant question maybe, does the M2cs have the M exhaust? Or did they just change the tips? Of course it has a different tune, so it may well sound different even with the same exhaust. I have a Dinan exhaust on my M2C and I'll be taking it off. Wonder if it will make sense to bolt it on the CS. Same motor, I'm sure the piping is the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #36
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
The stock M2C exhaust acoustics are more than adequate.

Since the M2CS exhaust is the same as the Competition exhaust, well, I am sure it sounds just fine too.

Still, I thought what the hell, and got the MPE. Surprised I could not find much by way of M2C owners with MPE, which is most likely related to the hefty cost. . . at any rate, I feel the price was worth it. What was good is now better.

You do not have to get the VERY expensive CF tips with MPE . . . and might prefer the non-CF tips if you like the bare CS exhaust tips?

I am in the apparent minority, but I really like the M2C exhaust ‘udder’ look. MPE is not as wide, but an udder, nonetheless.

On the mod front . . . I HATED the larger fender-to-tire gaps on my M2C . . . sorry, but the same problem persists with the CS. The MP Coil overs were obtained as a purely aesthetic pursuit but proved to offer ride/handling benefit. Not sure how the latter would play out with the adaptive suspension in the CS, but no doubt the fender-to-tire gaps would be addressed if compatible with MP coil overs.

///AVM
I think it looks good. The stock exhaust has a weird shape and cheap look to it. I think that's the big problem. Does the MPE incorporate an equal length setup? The EL mid pipe seems to do a lot for sound improvement. I like the F1 style howl vs the deep tone exhaust. Not sure where the mpe falls in this category?
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      11-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #37
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
I have the same problem .. i love those simple tips on the CS .. and dont want to change the rear muffler , instead i will install the AA midpipe as soon as i figure how to turn the opf off !
Attached Images

11-07-2020, 05:31 AM   #38
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
@avm post a video clip brother of the MPE on the CS!
      11-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #39
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I as well like the stock tips on the CS. Would be a shame to replace.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #40
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Question:. Why hasn't bmw considered an equal length solution for sound? Seems well within their scope.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #41
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Anyone with Capristo exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #42
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-250, M2 CS

Found this and enjoyed it,not sure if anyone else postedit..

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #43
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Hi, big ask, but would any of the owners who've taken delivery be able to take a quick clip of what the stock CS exhaust sounds like, inside the car/outside?
I understand some countries have the OPF but not sure of other countries where it's been delivered and would be great to get an idea.

Trying to decide between leaving the stock exhaust on for a while or the MPE and cannot find any good video/audio data on the internet.

Thank you.
For the US I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as the M2C besides the tips.

All the clips I've heard, even with OPF, sound like a stock M2C to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #44
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I think it looks good. The stock exhaust has a weird shape and cheap look to it. I think that's the big problem. Does the MPE incorporate an equal length setup? The EL mid pipe seems to do a lot for sound improvement. I like the F1 style howl vs the deep tone exhaust. Not sure where the mpe falls in this category?
Dave

I understand that most are not fans of the M2C muffler . . . I personally really like the look.

Is the MPE an improvement? I guess the answer is very subjective, but hopefully my photos offer a basis to draw individual opinion.

Sorry, but no idea regarding the equal length mid-pipe question.

F1 howl vs deep tone . . . honestly, not sure???

///AVM
Appreciate 0