BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Corona affecting your track days? Vent here

03-16-2020, 05:08 AM   #1
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Corona affecting your track days? Vent here

Unfortunately I think it's just a matter of time before we start seeing track days canceled due to restrictions being imposed to slow the spread of this ... flu.

My first 2 track days are scheduled for April 27th and May 8th. Both on Nordschleife. I'm based in Germany, so the border closures announced yesterday don't affect me, but if they impose limits of 50 people or more I bet those days will be canceled.

How is it where you live?

Also we were supposed to spend Easter weekend in Amsterdam, but now borders with Benelux are closed, so that will likely fall through as well.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Some stuff in the U.S. is starting to get cancelled while other groups are doing mitigating factors (no inside classroom or large group driver meetings) and I think some are just going with a wait and see at this point. Either way it is going to be a tough year.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

So far pretty much everything on my schedule is still "officially" on - but I doubt its going to stay that way. WRL is still saying their Mid-Ohio race the first week of April is still a go - I do not see that happening but who knows. Either way Ohio doesn't sound like a very attractive place to visit right now.

The highlight of my racing year was going to be the TCR Spa 500 the first weekend of May. The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is the top track on my list to drive - and was going to be on a team of 4 there in what is pretty much a 23 hour race - and racing in a brand new M2 CS Racing. They have not said anything yet but just don't see this one happening either. I was so looking forward to this one, was going to be epic.

The only race so far that I know is 100% not happening when it was scheduled for is the 24hr Creventic race at COTA in November. They rescheduled the Moto GP race there for that weekend... Hopefully it gets rescheduled but have not heard and do not really expect to hear anything on it soon. Was going to be racing in the M2 CS Racing again too.

The good thing is these big chunks of asphalt and concrete will still be there when things normal out. Hope everyone stays healthy and safe out there - looks like it will be crazy for a bit.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Some stuff in the U.S. is starting to get cancelled while other groups are doing mitigating factors (no inside classroom or large group driver meetings) and I think some are just going with a wait and see at this point. Either way it is going to be a tough year.
My local one is doing the whole "no driver meeting" thing. Other than that, there isn't that much exposure to other people. Don't see why normal hpdes cant happen.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Cheap Mexican beer will always affect your track days!
Appreciate 3
5.M0NSTER3353.50
PLF693762.50
      03-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I was at the track this past weekend for an HPDE in Oklahoma. The track owner indicated they believed events would continue. We brought a cooler full of food and drink, and hung out in the garage. The on site cafe was accepting phone orders and handing off orders out the side door. Everyone was super respectful as far as social distancing. But...we did have two drivers meetings.

Lead-follow, versus instructors in cars, probably makes sense. Perhaps limiting registration to those with experience makes sense, so driver’s meetings can be eliminated. Traveling to these events still requires gas and bathroom breaks, possible hotel room stays, and some social interaction. Maybe we have a social responsibility to forego these events? Easy for me to say after going this weekend...
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #7
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
So far pretty much everything on my schedule is still "officially" on - but I doubt its going to stay that way. WRL is still saying their Mid-Ohio race the first week of April is still a go - I do not see that happening but who knows. Either way Ohio doesn't sound like a very attractive place to visit right now.

The highlight of my racing year was going to be the TCR Spa 500 the first weekend of May. The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is the top track on my list to drive - and was going to be on a team of 4 there in what is pretty much a 23 hour race - and racing in a brand new M2 CS Racing. They have not said anything yet but just don't see this one happening either. I was so looking forward to this one, was going to be epic.

The only race so far that I know is 100% not happening when it was scheduled for is the 24hr Creventic race at COTA in November. They rescheduled the Moto GP race there for that weekend... Hopefully it gets rescheduled but have not heard and do not really expect to hear anything on it soon. Was going to be racing in the M2 CS Racing again too.

The good thing is these big chunks of asphalt and concrete will still be there when things normal out. Hope everyone stays healthy and safe out there - looks like it will be crazy for a bit.
Wow, sounds like a hell of a season, even if things have to shift around a bit. I did Spa last April for the first time. It really surpassed my expectations, what an amazing track. I'm planning to go back in spring of 2021 to do it one more time before my 3 year assignment in Germany ends. I hope your season turns out ok, even half of what you have planned would be amazing.

Video from Spa last year. Managed 3.02.1 in Comfort mode since I didn't figure out the TPMS reset trick till later, and 38F high for the day. That probably cost me about 2-3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Cheap Mexican beer will always affect your track days!
Between that and heartburn it's definitely not a good combination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzoommo View Post
. Maybe we have a social responsibility to forego these events? Easy for me to say after going this weekend...
I think us being locked in our cars most of the day is as isolated as one can hope. Now we just need Skype for the driver's meetings and we should be good to go!

Appreciate 3
      03-16-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I was planning on doing my first autocross season and track days at Pocono this year. Was in the middle of planning and getting my car prepped when I had to take action for the coronavirus. Had an appt March 23rd to get stainless brake lines and SRF put in that I had to cancel. Also had gloves, helmet, and membership fees I was getting ready to spend on that I put off.

Reason I cancelled/delayed is for financial reasons. Had to buy a bunch of food in advance, which was an expense I didn't plan for. Though probably better in the long run cause it saves me $$ from eating out... Also my investments crashed hard. From an average share price of $280 down to $110. And that money is what I use for extra-circular activities.

Also had an ebay buyer scam me out of $275 recently, so that sucked. Was really looking forward to buying the new AutoID front lip that I can't do now either.

I'm hoping the IRS issues a tax extension, because I sell investments to pay taxes. An extension would give time for the market to recover.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

My hpde event at NJMP this weekend was canceled. Might be a rough year for track events.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Limerock

Was cearefully watching weather for 3/21 Track Day at Limerock as it was 70% rain in the forecast. Weather improved to 10% with clearing skies and was looking good. As of today the event is cancelled.
      03-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I was planning on doing my first autocross season and track days at Pocono this year. Was in the middle of planning and getting my car prepped when I had to take action for the coronavirus. Had an appt March 23rd to get stainless brake lines and SRF put in that I had to cancel. Also had gloves, helmet, and membership fees I was getting ready to spend on that I put off.

Reason I cancelled/delayed is for financial reasons. Had to buy a bunch of food in advance, which was an expense I didn't plan for. Though probably better in the long run cause it saves me $$ from eating out... Also my investments crashed hard. From an average share price of $280 down to $110. And that money is what I use for extra-circular activities.

Also had an ebay buyer scam me out of $275 recently, so that sucked. Was really looking forward to buying the new AutoID front lip that I can't do now either.

I'm hoping the IRS issues a tax extension, because I sell investments to pay taxes. An extension would give time for the market to recover.
90 day tax payment extension just announced with no penalties or interest.

Word is they’re also going to send out $1k checks to each US adult. That’s still up in the air, tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
90 day tax payment extension just announced with no penalties or interest.

Word is they’re also going to send out $1k checks to each US adult. That’s still up in the air, tho.
Nice. I'm gonna look into it a little later. Wondering if that's for federal or state taxes or both.

As for sending everyone $1,000. Not sure how I feel about that. Of course it's nice to get $1000 for no reason. But I don't think it's long term effects are good for the country.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Nice. I'm gonna look into it a little later. Wondering if that's for federal or state taxes or both.

As for sending everyone $1,000. Not sure how I feel about that. Of course it's nice to get $1000 for no reason. But I don't think it's long term effects are good for the country.
The tax payment deferment is just for Fed for now. I’m guessing some of the states will follow suit.

As a biz owner that has to pay a large tax bill each April, this will help keep our cashflow more consistent over the next several months. So, it’ll be a nice help for us.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #14
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booya_45 View Post
My hpde event at NJMP this weekend was canceled. Might be a rough year for track events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Was cearefully watching weather for 3/21 Track Day at Limerock as it was 70% rain in the forecast. Weather improved to 10% with clearing skies and was looking good. As of today the event is cancelled.
And so it begins.

It will be a tough year for sure. I just found out all evening dining, bars, night life and cultural events in Stuttgart are on hold till June 15th. That's 3 months!

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #15
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
And so it begins.

It will be a tough year for sure. I just found out all evening dining, bars, night life and cultural events in Stuttgart are on hold till June 15th. That's 3 months!
Damn, that’s crazy.

In lieu of in person track events, anyone tried their hand at this yet? I haven’t had time to give it a shot: https://www.studio-397.com/bmw-sim-m2-cs-racing-cup/
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

I go to an arrive and drive kart racing series at Auto Club Speedway. All events have been closed for the rest of the month =(
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #17
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Sebring HPDE first week of May.🤞
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #18
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Got an email today saying the upcoming HPDE I signed up for at Eagles Canyon with PCA has been cancelled. Was for the 28th and 29th this month. Hagerty insurance is giving 100% refund (usually it's 90% if you cnx). Disappointed, as it was my first event of the year, but at least it didn't cost me anything. Will see if the event at COTA in April is still a go......
      03-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #19
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

My March and April events are all canceled now. The highlight was a road trip to Laguna Seca. I was really looking forward to that.

I ordered a wheel, pedals, and stand for the XBox to get my track fix digitally. Not the same, but it’s something.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL136.50
      03-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #20
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
April event at Grattan cancelled. Was gunna try to hit an OTD at Waterford Hills, but it looks like that's likely to be cancelled as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:29 AM   #21
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This suck. I'm sorry to hear that guys. Most of us only get a few events per year, and now it looks like we have plan to do them in the second part of the year.

One of the clubs I run with just posted this on their site:

"With a heavy heart, we decided to cancel some upcoming events starting in March. The current situation regarding the corona virus, in connection with the orders of the federal and state governments, has unfortunately forced us and the route operators to do so. The safety and health of our participants and employees comes first in this decision. All participants who have already registered will be contacted by us and, of course, paid participation fees will be refunded or, if requested, a credit for upcoming appointments.

We currently have to cancel the following events:

March 20: Mugello Circuit
March 21: Hockenheimring
March 28: Autodromo di Imola
March 29: Autodromo di Imola
April 15: Hockenheimring

We wish you and your families the best of health."

My event with them is April 27th, and not yet listed, but I have a feeling it will be soon. This will be a tough year. Lets hope by mid summer things are back to normal. Hang in there everyone.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 03-22-2020 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #22
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

This picture says it all
Attached Images

E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 6