medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Dave

I understand that most are not fans of the M2C muffler . . . I personally really like the look.

Is the MPE an improvement? I guess the answer is very subjective, but hopefully my photos offer a basis to draw individual opinion.

Sorry, but no idea regarding the equal length mid-pipe question.

F1 howl vs deep tone . . . honestly, not sure???

///AVM
From the pic you posted I think the MPE is significant improvement. This from someone that takes issue with the stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #46
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
@avm post a video clip brother of the MPE on the CS!
CN

I do not have a video clip and, honestly, reluctant to provide one . . . whether one likes the video or not, I do not believe the videos offer accurate portrayal of real life acoustic experience.

What I offer is opinion that the stock Competition exhaust acoustics are good and the MPE makes them better.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #47
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
From the pic you posted I think the MPE is significant improvement. This from someone that takes issue with the stock exhaust.
Dave

Another pic in a little different environment below.

If you prefer the raw CS exhaust tips then you might like the raw MPE exhaust tips . . . and they would save you a LOT of money over the CF tips.

Whatever you decide, hope my feedback proves helpful in the decision.

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #48
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
The raw MPE tips are not bad actually, somehow I thought you HAD to order tips.
      11-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #49
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
CN

I do not have a video clip and, honestly, reluctant to provide one . . . whether one likes the video or not, I do not believe the videos offer accurate portrayal of real life acoustic experience.

What I offer is opinion that the stock Competition exhaust acoustics are good and the MPE makes them better.

///AVM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
The raw MPE tips are not bad actually, somehow I thought you HAD to order tips.
///AVM Thank you for providing the images; and in different lighting conditions. Definitely love that look more than the stock. There was no option for adjusting height when installing that right?

Also, with the MPE on the comp, you still have different sound in the 3 drive modes (Efficient - Sport - Sport+) as well as another 3 sound palettes if you will with the bluetooth button? (So 3 different modes with valves closed and 3 with valves open) or does the exhaust sound the same between Efficient - Sport - Sport+ if the valves are closed?

cncmastr Unfortunately you do have to order with the tips, not only that, if ordering from BMW for port install you only have the option of CF tips not even the SS tips. If ordering later, can choose which set to get or possibly the exhaust without the tips.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #50
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
///AVM Thank you for providing the images; and in different lighting conditions. Definitely love that look more than the stock. There was no option for adjusting height when installing that right?

Also, with the MPE on the comp, you still have different sound in the 3 drive modes (Efficient - Sport - Sport+) as well as another 3 sound palettes if you will with the bluetooth button? (So 3 different modes with valves closed and 3 with valves open) or does the exhaust sound the same between Efficient - Sport - Sport+ if the valves are closed?
Thank you f80_MG

The bracket that came with the MPE was used in my installation. The bracket is not 'adjustable.' That being said, if one would like to pull the exhaust tips up tighter to the rear diffuser, I am confident there are aftermarket brackets that could accomplish the task. I just have not explored such options.

The exhaust 'intensity' does progress as you move through the drive modes. I have heard more than once on this forum reference to the bluetooth MPE control. Quite honestly, I have no idea to what anyone is referring??? I have no insight into the bluetooth functionality, nor did the BMW mechanic who installed the exhaust.

If anyone feels there is bluetooth functionality, please let me know. I am happy to 'tinker' . . .

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #51
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you f80_MG

The bracket that came with the MPE was used in my installation. The bracket is not 'adjustable.' That being said, if one would like to pull the exhaust tips up tighter to the rear diffuser, I am confident there are aftermarket brackets that could accomplish the task. I just have not explored such options.

The exhaust 'intensity' does progress as you move through the drive modes. I have heard more than once on this forum reference to the bluetooth MPE control. Quite honestly, I have no idea to what anyone is referring??? I have no insight into the bluetooth functionality, nor did the BMW mechanic who installed the exhaust.

If anyone feels there is bluetooth functionality, please let me know. I am happy to 'tinker' . . .

///AVM
///AVM That's great to hear that there's room for movement in the brackets, hopefully fabricating custom ones shouldn't be that difficult.

So the bluetooth functionality is just an additional remote that is supposed to come with the M2 MPE to control the exhaust valves. I know first hand the OG M2 MPE comes with this remote. The EU version of the OG M2 MPE also came with an additional button in the boot to control the valves and consequentially the sound.

But I have yet to find first hand confirmation of this fact in the US model M2C MPE (partly my confusion is because of conflicting reports online and the fact that the S55 in the M3 did not come with any such remote).

I've attached a link for images of the bluetooth remote/exhaust - would love to know if any such thing came with your exhaust. Also, sounds like yours was installed post purchase (not a port install before the car was delivered right?). Fairly certain this was only on the N55 engines but do not know for sure.

Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #52
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMrDrmr View Post
Found this and enjoyed it,not sure if anyone else postedit..

If I compare the stock exhaust to the first time I heard the F80 2015 - the CS is streets ahead. I'm questioning whether I'll bother with an exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Davil6333.50
      11-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #53
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
///AVM That's great to hear that there's room for movement in the brackets, hopefully fabricating custom ones shouldn't be that difficult.

So the bluetooth functionality is just an additional remote that is supposed to come with the M2 MPE to control the exhaust valves. I know first hand the OG M2 MPE comes with this remote. The EU version of the OG M2 MPE also came with an additional button in the boot to control the valves and consequentially the sound.

But I have yet to find first hand confirmation of this fact in the US model M2C MPE (partly my confusion is because of conflicting reports online and the fact that the S55 in the M3 did not come with any such remote).

I've attached a link for images of the bluetooth remote/exhaust - would love to know if any such thing came with your exhaust. Also, sounds like yours was installed post purchase (not a port install before the car was delivered right?). Fairly certain this was only on the N55 engines but do not know for sure.
The bluetooth remote mentioned above was for the Mperfornace exhaust for the N55 M2. The M2C uses a completely different exhaust due to the new S55 engine.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
cncmastr1568.50
      11-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #54
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
If I compare the stock exhaust to the first time I heard the F80 2015 - the CS is streets ahead. I'm questioning whether I'll bother with an exhaust mod.
That's fair. I have read (and I believe it has been posted here on BP, as well) that BMW tuned/improved the exhaust for the CS. If true, coupled with no OPFs for USA cars, I'm inclined to give the CS stock exhaust a good run before modifying it. Now, if it sounds like the M2C stock exhaust, I will quickly modify it, as the M2C exhaust sounds absolutely horrible.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4538.00
      11-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #55
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
That's fair. I have read (and I believe it has been posted here on BP, as well) that BMW tuned/improved the exhaust for the CS. If true, coupled with no OPFs for USA cars, I'm inclined to give the CS stock exhaust a good run before modifying it. Now, if it sounds like the M2C stock exhaust, I will quickly modify it, as the M2C exhaust sounds absolutely horrible.
Likely a good idea. Do we know where they made the modification. I thought it was a crossover pipe of some sort. I ask in case it's located on the midpipe. Listened to a AA video of their mad max exhaust. It also included an m3cs with el midpipe and factory rear section. Skinned really good. It may have had catless downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #56
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It’s a good question and I wish I knew the answer. I went back to some of the early materials including the initial M2 CS dealer bulletin, which denotes “Modified exhaust system with ///M designation.” This is consistent with what I have been told via my GSM’s factory rep as well as the genius hotline, but of course this provides only minimal information.
A review of the x5M has mention of similar characteristic. [dual-branch M sport exhaust. ]

Is there now a standard exhaust, m sport exhaust, and m performance. I see this dual branch nomenclature associated with the m sport exhaust.

Edit: IMHO it appears to be a rebranding of their valved exhaust and may be nothing more. Marketing fluff.

Edit2: mentioned on last m5 first edition. Could this be something they decided to add special to the CS that is actually slightly different to other exhaust systems

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/08/22/s...sport-exhaust/

Quote:
M Sport Exhaust

The cross-bank exhaust manifolds for the all-new BMW M5 have also been modified to optimize the flow of energy from the exhaust gas to the turbine wheels of the two twin-scroll turbochargers ensuring the best possible gas-exchange cycle. By fitting a Helmholtz resonator between the two silencers of the dual exhaust system, the M engineers have reduced its weight by 11 lbs.
Also mentioned on 2021 x3m

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-mo.../overview.html

It sounds like this tech is upstream from the midpipe, but also might be accomplishing the same task as the equal length midpipe.

Edit for last time.:. Dual branch is not special within bmw and seems to represent all valved m systems. Yes, small tweaks to the design can change tone. And or different programming for flap position under throttle. It does not appear to address the issues that appear to be solved with the AA EL midpipe.

Last edited by medphysdave; 11-08-2020 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #57
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It’s a good question and I wish I knew the answer. I went back to some of the early materials including the initial M2 CS dealer bulletin, which denotes “Modified exhaust system with ///M designation.” This is consistent with what I have been told via my GSM’s factory rep as well as the genius hotline, but of course this provides only minimal information.
Somewhere in the M3CS material, the changes in exhaust design are documented in detail. Will try to look for it. Of course, that's speculative too, assuming the same changes carryover to the M2CS that did in the M3CS from the M3 comp.
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50