BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition Premiere Event, Switzerland

05-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition Premiere Event, Switzerland

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello folks

So tonight was the long awaited BMW M2 Competition "closed room" even at BMW Headquaters in Dielsdorf, Switzerland. BMW really put a great event togther, first hour we were put into groups and each groups had 6 different M cars available. There was almost everything from M2, M3, M4, M4 CS, M5, M6, X5 M and so forth. We where able to drive all cars around the area for about 45 minutes, a great way to start such an event.

After arriving back at BMW we were fed and given some drinks. Then we were presented the M2 of Albin Mächler (www.albins.ch). A swiss race driver who put an S55 Motor into the M2 around a year ago himself. He told a lot about the build process and the challenges of building the car which was very interesting. The sound of the car was simply staggering......

Finally we all went towards the "closed room". It was absolutely impossible to make any pictures. The ticket into the closed room was to put the own mobile phone into a bag and seal that bag. Without that, no entry...

They didn't make it too long and then finally unwrapped the M2 Competition. It was actually the car we all know from the press kit fotos. So all i can give you with my sealed bag are my imperssions..

First of all i was happy to see the Hockenheim Silver in person. In nearly all pictures the car looks pretty whitish and in real live its not white at all, and i was hoping for that a lot. It looks rather more light gray and has a touch of metallic. it looks great in person and I am now sure about HS will be the right choice for me.

The M seats respectively its inserts where not as bad as i was expecting. If you look at the inserts from a steep angle then yes it looks very blue. But as said, its not that bad so will be fine. The seats where automatic and i was very positively suprised about how low they go. I had the feeling that they where even a bit lower than my E46's seats, so thats a big plus. i was able to get a much better angled and lower seating position than in the M2 LCI, very nice.

Wheels and big brakes where just gorgeous. I like the 788M wheels a lot since they kinda remind of the E46 M3 CSL wheels. they where polished/silver and looked just very very good.

One of the guys test sitting in the car "accidentally" turned on the motor. I was expecting the worst from sound perspective, but was very positively suprised about what i heard. He then quickly turned it off again, since it was a rather small and actually really closed room

Few minutes later BMW decided to "officially" start the motor for a short period of time (they opened the doors before ). They let Abin Mächler take place and play a bit with the peddals. I was really pleased with what i heard. If this is what i will get later on i will be a happy camper.

The front of the car looks super aggressive in person, the overall impression is great. I am really looking forward to have this baby in my garage..

Thank you BMW for hosting that superb event and thank you BMW Seeblick Garage for inviting me, it was a pleasure!

Last edited by ///M Houbi; 05-29-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 26
Dr.Deep1827.00
SW192441.50
AlpsRider2857.50
ChrisK4449.00
Tag17926.50
Spare°257.50
BAN_M2C4154.50
CSBM52695.50
dmboone254970.50
seis-speed2426.00
KevinM2931.00
norMcal284.50
1M Tex240.00
pyrat15194.50
Remonster821.00
silverado287.50
Dackelone10511.00
DaFish153.50
      05-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Thanks for the write up. Interesting to hear about your impression of Hockenheim Silver. Curious, what was the lighting situation like when viewing the M2c? Was there any sunlight in the room? Was it dark or very well light?

I believe this was the same event Daaan was planning on attending. I had some questions for him to ask about the M2c, hope he got us some answers.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Hi Tag

The room had windows and light from outside but was covered all around with curtains. There where a few spot lights on the ceiling as well, so the room was well lit.

I was really expecting something very white, and the first glimpse was like "wow very gray" I still think this is kinda chameleon color. In bright sunlight during day it will certainly look different, but i can't imagine this to change to that very white look we've seen a lot on photos. The pictures of MSsurge and the ones from the PGA thread are actually very close to reality. and hell yes this will be a fun color to match....

yes this was the same Event Daaan was refering to

Last edited by ///M Houbi; 05-25-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tag17926.50
      05-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Hi Tag

The room had windows and light from outside but was covered all around with curtains. There where a few spot lights on the ceiling as well, so the room was well lit.

I was really expecting something very white, and the first glimpse was like "wow very gray" I still think whis is kinda chameleon color. In bright sunlight during day it will certainly look different, but i can't imagine this to change to that very white look we've seen a lot on photos. The pictures of MSsurge and the ones from the PGA thread are actually very close to reality. and hell yes this will be a fun color to match....

yes this is was the same EVent Daaan was refering to
Very happy to hear the color is as you describe. Sounds very encouraging. Hoping there's a way I can see it myself before production begins. I'm also eagerly awaiting video reviews as they really help see the color in motion from differing angles. Thanks again for the informative description!
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4154.50
dmboone254970.50
      05-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
You are very welcome. Happy if my infos help others a bit
Appreciate 3
seis-speed2426.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
pyrat15194.50
      05-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I was able to get a much better angled and lower seating position than in the M2 LCI, very nice.
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Thanks for the write up and that awesome pic of the MY16 M2.Alpine White M2 perfection.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      05-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Hi Tag

I was really expecting something very white, and the first glimpse was like "wow very gray" I still think whis is kinda chameleon color. In bright sunlight during day it will certainly look different, but i can't imagine this to change to that very white look we've seen a lot on photos. The pictures of MSsurge and the ones from the PGA thread are actually very close to reality. and hell yes this will be a fun color to match....

yes this is was the same EVent Daaan was refering to
Very happy to hear the color is as you describe. Sounds very encouraging. Hoping there's a way I can see it myself before production begins. I'm also eagerly awaiting video reviews as they really help see the color in motion from differing angles. Thanks again for the informative description!
Are you leaning towards HK?
      05-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Just came back home from the event....thanks a lot for the nice write up ///M Houbi.
I don't have to add anything else about the event, only can share the opinion, that BMW really put a nice event together and the event opening with driving all the different M cars was really a cool start! Thanks BMW!

Tag
Unfortunately I have to disappoint you...really sorry about this. As ///M Houbi mentioned, we had to put our phones in a bag...so no pics to share from the M2C. Also there was nobody that could answer the question about the difference for the rear suspension...only that it should be less "bumy" and should support the small weight increas, as that was something some people complained about...
For the US prices they were not very helpful....only statement I could get was that it should be out soon..

Here my impression of the M2C, as a current M2 (MY2017) owner:
Hockenheim Silver looks really good in person as ///M Houbi mentioned, didn't looked white...more silver. I quite liked it

The seats are really a highlight for me...very nice looking, good position and low...actually what this car deserves and the M2 would deserve....looking at the car from outside really makes a outstanding look. I already told my dealer that we need to have them in my M2

The only thing that I personally was a little bit disappointed (but expected) was the sound as they decided to turn on the car a rew it a little bit. Cold start was ok, but the revs and overall sound was not mine...
It sounds good, no brainer, but I didn't like the sound as I don't do with M3/M4 and just driven them today again both together....they sound aggressive and loud, but I like the "sound note" more of the N55....somehow deeper note, and more sound in high revs in general...
But for sure it was not a good condition in that closed room to really get the full feeling...and tastes are different. However, it sounds good in general and for sure a lot people like that sound

Besides that, as already said above...we all know already how the car looks, and i have to say, it looks better in person than on the pics...especially the new kidney!

So overall, a great car and nice evolution. You will like it!!

Here some pics of the event:

Last edited by Dr.Deep; 05-25-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 7
Tag17926.50
Poochie9099.00
seis-speed2426.00
KevinM2931.00
pyrat15194.50
Remonster821.00
      05-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
Sumotang
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Mineral Gray

@Daaan

Will you be getting HKS?

At the moment I am considering BSM with the black 788M wheels. I like the they way you describe the HKS. I think HKS with black 788M wheels would be a good contrast.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 02:25 AM   #11
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Hi Tag

I was really expecting something very white, and the first glimpse was like "wow very gray" I still think this is kinda chameleon color. In bright sunlight during day it will certainly look different, but i can't imagine this to change to that very white look we've seen a lot on photos. The pictures of MSsurge and the ones from the PGA thread are actually very close to reality. and hell yes this will be a fun color to match....

yes this was the same Event Daaan was refering to
Interesting. I saw the car for the first time yesterday at BMW Belux and they keep it isolated in a very, very badly lit room/shed. Looked nothing like silver to me. I walked away pretty underwhelmed by the color. The lightning conditions will likely play a major factor in the perception of this color.

Thanks for the writeup!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Not sure if you were asking me? I'm leaning black, but open to HS.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Not sure if you were asking me? I'm leaning black, but open to HS.
Sorry, was asking you.
      05-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for the review. Good to see positive reviews about Hockenheim Silver, most negative comments about the color seem to come from people who have never seen it in person. Seats sound like they make the interior.

Last edited by M3_WC; 05-26-2018 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50
      05-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #15
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumotang View Post
@Daaan

Will you be getting HKS?

At the moment I am considering BSM with the black 788M wheels. I like the they way you describe the HKS. I think HKS with black 788M wheels would be a good contrast.
Hi there,

I will still keep my M2 for now...maybe jump on the next model that will come after the M2C. But honestly, I don't know what color I would choose..my M2 is LBB and I like this color on that car sooo much, just makes a different look than in the other colors...but HKS looks at least for me very nice in person...so would be a difficult decision...

But what I didn't like on the M2C where the 788M wheels, this is just not my taste and I think they just do not look sporty for such a car. Especially because they are not concave and I like this a lot, makes the car look wider. I would definitively go for the 437 in all black, but this is just my taste
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50
      05-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
Sumotang
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Mineral Gray

Thanks Daaan

I went and had a look at a few LBB M2's today in different lighting conditions and I am now going with LBB.

I think the colour is great on the M2 and defines the curves very well. It does stand out a bit but then it's not hard when lots of cars are silver, white and black.

I will have to see what the 788M wheels look like as I don't think you can order anything else but I will have to wait and see. The 437M wheels look nice on the current M2.

Is it hard to keep clean? Surely it must be easier than BSM.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #17
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks Daaan

I went and had a look at a few LBB M2's today in different lighting conditions and I am now going with LBB.

I think the colour is great on the M2 and defines the curves very well. It does stand out a bit but then it's not hard when lots of cars are silver, white and black.

I will have to see what the 788M wheels look like as I don't think you can order anything else but I will have to wait and see. The 437M wheels look nice on the current M2.

LBB is easy to keep clean.. love this color. I am torn with ordering in LBB I know I love or switching to HS.
      05-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Sounds like a fantastic event! Thanks for sharing.

Good news on HS. I am hoping for more light grey than white.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #19
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Sounds like a fantastic event! Thanks for sharing.

Good news on HS. I am hoping for more light grey than white.
Yes it was truly great, kudos to BMW!

I was hoping for more grey/silver than white too. And after that event i‘m looking forward to order HS!
Appreciate 2
KevinM2931.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
      05-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #20
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Daaan

Hi Sumotang

Exactly, this is what I mean...the shape of the car stands out very nice in LBB.

As already mentioned above..it is quite easy to keep clean...so a nice choice, you won't regret it ;-)

Yeah I heard about the wheels, may be that not all markets will get 437s...at least here in Switzerland they told us that you can still order the car with them....lets wait and see.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50
      05-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
Jackbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

Nice event Thanks for pics and sharing.

Have the Swiss prices already been released? I only heard that the M2C should start at 77.9k CHF but a few weeks ago there were no information about specs and options.

I also wonder how much the sale prices are going to be. There are currently significant price differences between list prices and sale prices and CHF is again stronger than a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Note to self

Always bring 2 or more smartphones to BMW Events.
Appreciate 5
Hankdoll135.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
dmboone254970.50
Sideshow269.00