BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Protool - A mobile ESYS and The best BMW coding and diagnostics app available

04-16-2024, 09:40 PM   #67
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

When you guys say "code", it's not like coding in the sense of using Terminal w/ MacOS or MSDOS on a PC right? It's more like BimmerCode which is turning switches ON/OFF....am I correct? Coz I'm hyperventilating just reading coding sh*t out. I'm afraid of messing something up.

@F87 your contribution on this forum is immeasurable. Thanks.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 10:34 PM   #68
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
When you guys say "code", it's not like coding in the sense of using Terminal w/ MacOS or MSDOS on a PC right? It's more like BimmerCode which is turning switches ON/OFF....am I correct? Coz I'm hyperventilating just reading coding sh*t out. I'm afraid of messing something up.

@F87 your contribution on this forum is immeasurable. Thanks.
No not at all (and technically what you described is actually command line access of the computer, programming/coding would be writing lines of a programming language via a text editor or ide. You could do it directly to a terminal environment using something like nano or vim but either way that's super off topic).

But yes you're correct, it would be like bimmer code which is where you're turning on and off settings or toggling them to something else (this is known as fdl coding). Or it could be vo coding where you're making some changes to the vehicle order, aka changing a few bits of text. Nothing too crazy.
      04-16-2024, 10:41 PM   #69
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
That's because the dct isn't codeable, so obviously protool cant code it. I talked to protool and they confirmed this as well = Dcts can only be flashed. So you'll need xhp, or get esys to flash it.

But generally speaking if you can code (code not flash) it on esys you can do it on protool - especially on the older cars (such as the f series) that have been fully mapped out.
That’s fair. I think it is important to call out the distinction between “coding” and “flashing” since they can be misinterpreted to mean the same thing for those unfamiliar to automative software/hardware.

It’s still a great tool, just need to manage expectations and point people to folks like kuba86 if they just want to do the basic differential and dct changes, and don’t care for some of the other coding changes or diagnostics of protool.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:12 PM   #70
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by varooshgog View Post
That’s fair. I think it is important to call out the distinction between “coding” and “flashing” since they can be misinterpreted to mean the same thing for those unfamiliar to automative software/hardware.

It’s still a great tool, just need to manage expectations and point people to folks like kuba86 if they just want to do the basic differential and dct changes, and don’t care for some of the other coding changes or diagnostics of protool.
Personally I would rather code things myself since it allows me the ability to change it an unlimited amount of times instantaneously - something you don't get to do if you hire someone to code for you.

Then with the dct id rather have xhp as well, because again id rather be able to change things on my own whim.

Only if I can't do something then id hire someone to do it for me, such as generating fsc codes.