BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Trying to upgrade I-STEP when doing Airbag recall before warranty ends

09-04-2019, 03:15 AM   #1
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Trying to upgrade I-STEP when doing Airbag recall before warranty ends

Decided to spin-off a new thread for better viability.

From driver profile export, the current I-STEP is the original (shipment)

Code:
 <i-step>F020-16-07-506</i-step>
XML lol

---

About to do the airbag recall this month and ask them to do a full I-Step upgrade to fix:
1. PDC warning sound if not rolling forward
2. I-STEP has never been upgraded since delivery
3. fake Bluetooth connectivity issue... lol
4. any other ideas to add if they give me a hard time?

Hopefully #1 is enough when they test it. Advice?

BTW: BMW Sydney receptionist (obviously she knew nothing), simply asked the mechanics and told me the car run a diagnostic (150 bucks WTF) before the technicians can decide if an I-STEP upgrade is necessary, hmm...

'll go back to the dealer where the car was delivered (Canterbury BMW) to try my luck.
      09-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Why not shop around the Sydney dealerships to find who will update your iStep for the least cost (assume you didn't buy new which realistically reduces likelihood you'll get it free unless it's to rectify a fault). They may not update free for the PDC change as that was a change to how it operates rather than fixing a fault.

IMO it will be worth a reasonable fee, the biggest improvements are to traction control, steering and throttle (plus you get the PDC change which my LCI already had). If you get it updated just be mindful early on that enthusiastic driving in Sport+ or Traction will be a lot more slippery than what you have now
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Why not shop around the Sydney dealerships to find who will update your iStep for the least cost (assume you didn't buy new which realistically reduces likelihood you'll get it free unless it's to rectify a fault). They may not update free for the PDC change as that was a change to how it operates rather than fixing a fault.

IMO it will be worth a reasonable fee, the biggest improvements are to traction control, steering and throttle (plus you get the PDC change which my LCI already had). If you get it updated just be mindful early on that enthusiastic driving in Sport+ or Traction will be a lot more slippery than what you have now
Good PoV.

Working in IT (dealing with hardware / firmware often, used to), find it hard to accept the fact that upgrading i-step costs money within warranty.

Quote:
They may not update free for the PDC change as that was a change to how it operates rather than fixing a fault.
To end users (drivers), still it is a bug (not severe though) which ruins user experience.

Definitely willing to spend $150 to get new i-step and the improvements it brings. Won't give up trying to get it for free.
      09-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

I found that making a statement that there was a fault with the car that might be fixed with a firmware update can help encourage the dealer to flash/upgrade the car. So, in my case, I had the following issues:
- DCT would "hop" at low speeds (if you don't have a DCT, this clearly isn't an option)
- rain sensing wipers would wipe the windscreen almost every time I started the car (I had tried cleaning the windscreen and that didn't help)
- there were some issues with the navigation system, which were not map related (I can't recall what it was now)

Anyway, the car was updated.

That said, you probably want to be sure you want the update as I found that the last update wiped my ability to code Comfort Access for the passenger (Comfort Access is where the seats automatically move rearwards when you open the doors after turning off the engine) with Bimmercode. This was a useful feature that I miss.

Anyway, hope that this helps you a bit!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Did the airbag recall last week. Spoke to the workshop manager and he was not aware of the PDC warning beep issue with original F87 M2 (DCT). I reproduced the issue with him onboard and he agreed that this is an issue but told me there is no known module (in I-STEP) to fix this specific issue as far has he knows.

I was asked to book a separate appointment to bring the car in to run a diagnostics (free as per the service rep), before they can decide if they will do an upgrade.
      12-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #6
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Update:

Tried at a dealer, they reproduced the PDC warning issue but told me it is by design, flushing latest i-step won't fix the problem for my model (because it does not update the PDC module?). LCI doesn't have the problem because the i-step for LCI is different.

I told them I can pay to get the upgrade done (they offered A$270, wtf), however, the technical looking after my car that day said he was too busy, obviously my toy was their `cash cow`, they didn't care.

Definitely won't go back there, end of story.

Will probably try to pay and get it upgraded at BMW Sydney which is owned by BMW Australia.