BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple Carplay topics

10-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #441
willzyw
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I regret getting it, worst $300 I ever spent. I used it for a few days and turned it off forever
Same here, I was told it's not as good as iDrive itself but my car came with this option.

It's wast of money indeed compared to iDrive.

I assume it works better for iDrive 6 with touch screen??
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:15 AM   #442
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Apple Car Play Now a Subscription..?

Hi All,

Last Friday I took delivery of an LCI M2 without Apple CarPlay ... but decided to add it to the vehicle as you can post-purchase.

It seems that BMW (at least here in Australia) have turned this into a 3-year subscription service, but kept the price the same. So that's an eye-watering AUD$479 for three years for something that used to be a one-time purchase

I'm not particularly happy about it, especially since the dealer suggested it would be cheaper to purchase Apple CarPlay post delivery (it avoids registration and luxury car tax), but at the time of our discussion, nothing was said about it being a subscription service.

Anyone else encountered this..? Or is this "initiative" only BMW Australia..?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:01 AM   #443
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi All,

Last Friday I took delivery of an LCI M2 without Apple CarPlay ... but decided to add it to the vehicle as you can post-purchase.

It seems that BMW (at least here in Australia) have turned this into a 3-year subscription service, but kept the price the same. So that's an eye-watering AUD$479 for three years for something that used to be a one-time purchase

I'm not particularly happy about it, especially since the dealer suggested it would be cheaper to purchase Apple CarPlay post delivery (it avoids registration and luxury car tax), but at the time of our discussion, nothing was said about it being a subscription service.

Anyone else encountered this..? Or is this "initiative" only BMW Australia..?
I guess BMW is looking for ways to make up for lost BMW Connect revenue. Wonder if BMW will limit subscription to the warranty period like they do with nav updates when purchased with the car? My MY US 2017 is a "subscription" too but good until 2036!

Your the second person who lost out trying to save a few bucks. The other fellow in CA didn't want to pay for the wireless connectivity package then learned after delivery he didn't have the hardware to support Apple CarPlay.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...s+connectivity
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 03:17 AM   #444
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
On my car, the option to add CarPlay says it lasts for 99 years, IIRC. I'm guessing you found a glitch in the Matrix or something. Presumably the whole ConnectedDrive store is setup so everything has to have some sort of expiration date, and "99 years" is what they use for "forever"...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #445
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 MG M2

iPhone X really improved CarPlay

I fiddled with CarPlay with my iPhone 6 when I first got my car but quickly gave up, as it was cumbersome and sluggish. But with iOS 11 and the iPhone X, it seems markedly improved. Granted, I've only used it for about 5 minutes but thumbs up so far!
Appreciate 4
NO_USER_537.50
JB330Ci55.00
ried791.50
      11-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #446
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
On my car, the option to add CarPlay says it lasts for 99 years, IIRC. I'm guessing you found a glitch in the Matrix or something. Presumably the whole ConnectedDrive store is setup so everything has to have some sort of expiration date, and "99 years" is what they use for "forever"...
Yup, unless they changed it since I last looked...it was a lifetime subscription for Apple Car Play for MY17 via Connected Drive store
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #447
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

CarPlay is a one time payment.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #448
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Yup, unless they changed it since I last looked...it was a lifetime subscription for Apple Car Play for MY17 via Connected Drive store
I think that this is true for those who've already purchased CarPlay, but BMW have now changed the goal posts on this for new purchases. My dealer confirmed it as a very recent alteration that they only learnt about when I raised it with them ... looks like this was implemented towards the end of October.

Note that its not related to the M2: he described how this is now the case (at least in AU) for any car that is optioned with CarPlay even during the purchase process ... i.e. it doesn't matter whether you order it with a new car, or purchase it subsequently (like I did). He was optioning up a new X3 and CarPlay came up as a 3 year subscription ... this raises a bunch of issues (at least here in AU), which I think the dealers are going to have to work through with BMW Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
CarPlay is a one time payment.
As above, not anymore

I'm curious as to whether other markets (other than Australia) are impacted by this - I think you'd only be able to tell if you hadn't previously purchased CarPlay and tried to purchase it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #449
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Makes sense, CarPlay is nothing more than streaming and it runs on the phone, not the car. Most that complain it is slow were using older phone hardware.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #450
Jsmooth65
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2-MPE-Dinan Stg 4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Carplay is slow/unresponsive/intermittent

Anybody else having problems with wireless carplay?

I connect my iPhone X to the wireless station, connect to Carplay, and iDrive/Carplay turns into a lagbox. And when music is playing, it cuts out like a cd with a scratch.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #451
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I had BMW service center update my MY17 software (iDrive 5.0) and Apple Carplay can now be purchased on the connected drive store. $300 in US at least. Also a side note, iDrive now has Spotify as an app for me to use on my Android. Never showed up for me before.

Updated version Number

Hi Akkando, i am going crazy with this apple car play, my car is june 17 production but is in grey apple car play and i cannot buy it. Never updated from factory, do you think that if i will upgarde it i will be able to buy apple car play?

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #452
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d View Post
Hi Akkando, i am going crazy with this apple car play, my car is june 17 production but is in grey apple car play and i cannot buy it. Never updated from factory, do you think that if i will upgarde it i will be able to buy apple car play?

Thank you!!
That would be my guess. You can probably have the dealer update it for you so you can buy it or complain that your phone just sometimes connects to the car and sometimes it doesn't and the apps seem all screwy and they will probably update to attempt to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #453
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I got talked into adding it to my build for resale value. I have yet to use it.....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #454
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
CarPlay - USB audio source?

This is my first car (and my first weekend with my M2) that has CarPlay. I noticed that I can't choose a USB audio source when my phone is paired with CarPlay. Kind of a bummer as I haven't been a fan of Bluetooth audio compared to USB.

Did BMW improve Bluetooth in these 2018 LCIs where I'm just being overly anal about it, or have those of you with CarPlay ditched that format and just gone back to the "classic" USB input for higher quality?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #455
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

CarPlay on our cars kinda stinks, e.g., nav doesn’t use the full screen.

I play 320kbps Spotify via USB. That will yield the best quality. Bluetooth quality is good, but you can hear it’s not quite as good as USB, if you crank the volume up.

Plus I’ll open waze in the background (while using BMW nav and playing Spotify) to get cop alerts.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #456
M2UROTRSH
@M2UROTRSH
Rep

Voice control with CarPlay activating by itself over and over again

Hi everyone, been having this problem for the last few months, not sure if it’s an iPhone X / iOS 11 problem, or something with the M2. Was hoping that iOS updates would fix it, but still no go.

Is anyone else experiencing this:

* Connect iPhone via CarPlay
* Whenever audio comes on, ie from Google Maps running in the background, the display of the car keeps showing «*Voice Control*» over and over again, cutting out whatever audio was playing in the car (Satellite Radio or FM radio).
* If I use the Music app in CarPlay, sometimes this same behavior will start up and keep repeating itself over and over, showing «*Voice Control Active*» on the car’s display. I have to repeatedly press the button on the steering wheel to activate Voice Control, and after an arbitrary number of pushes, the audio will resume successfully in CarPlay.

Anyone else experience this? Any idea on a fix, besides taking it to the dealer? I like to avoid the dealer as much as possible in general and prefer to take care of things myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #457
rramseyr
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 IR E82 1M VO

BMW is going to make you pay for Apple CarPlay every year

Taken from a recent article I read....

Is BMW going to make you pay for Apple CarPlay every year? - The Verge

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/1...auto-show-2018

Subscription-based CarPlay would join Alexa, Google Assistant in 2019 models...

Unlike many automakers that offer Apple CarPlay in their new cars, BMW makes you pay for it on all of their models. That's unlikely to change, but it may soon cut a break to those who don't use iOS or don't like Apple's smartphone integration system for the car.
The automaker next year will turn CarPlay into a subscription-based service rather than treating it as a one-time option, Don Smith, technology product manager for BMW North America, told The Verge at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show on Tuesday.
"This allows the customer to switch devices," he said. "A lot of people buy [CarPlay] and think it's okay, but sometimes they stop using it or switch to Android."

BMW added CarPlay for 2017 as a $300 option on cars equipped with built-in navigation. It introduced a wireless CarPlay setup with charging on the 5 Series last year, too, supported by the latest iDrive 6.0 interface.
Smith said the new plan would be free for the first year of ownership on a new BMW. After that, owners would be asked to pay $80 per year to keep the service. Over the course of a three or four-year lease, it would still work out to less money than the option is now, he said.
Currently, BMW doesn't offer Android Auto on any of its vehicles. But Smith said Google Assistant is coming to new BMW models later in 2018. The company already announced it would add Amazon Alexa to its new models. Smith said more Alexa skills would be enabled later this year to control more than just basic vehicle functions such as locks and lights.
Apple has not yet responded to requests for comment.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:56 PM   #458
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
BMW switching Apple CarPlay to a subscription based service. $80/year.

I don't understand how they can justify treating ACP like a subscription based service like Sirius XM or Netflix.
What exactly are they providing?
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #459
ModestV8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

hmmm...that would suck.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #460
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
If you look up Apple car play under your connected drive store where you would purchase it, the subscription shows good for 20 years
      01-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #461
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Thank you!!
That would be my guess. You can probably have the dealer update it for you so you can buy it or complain that your phone just sometimes connects to the car and sometimes it doesn't and the apps seem all screwy and they will probably update to attempt to fix that.
Car updated to 63.3 from dealer. Now the version is 6.6.6

But CarPlay is not possible to be purchased.
akkando can you share you vo to understand if you have some special accessory like WiFi or similar that is relevant to this?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #462
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Car updated to 63.3 from dealer. Now the version is 6.6.6

But CarPlay is not possible to be purchased.
akkando can you share you vo to understand if you have some special accessory like WiFi or similar that is relevant to this?

Thank you
Uh yea sure I will take a look later. Maybe it's a region thing?
Appreciate 0