BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Owner Topic - MR from Czech Republic - M2 CSL Turbomeister Edition revealed

09-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #551
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Latest update from my end! Steering unit is f*cked

I felt a really weird vibration in the car on certain roads. We initially thought it was the left strut which I installed, but my workshop guys (HEROS) found the issue today after half a day of searching.

This problem has a major impact. It can be fixed under warranty, but it brings one big issue which is that the car needs to undergo a full software update and we all know what that means... Especially me running a car without OPFs on it.

It will be an interesting experience, especially because the part above (point 1) cost 3K EUR and that is only the part not the replacement work that has to be done.

Let's wait and see. Luckily I still have my MINI. I therefore now need to find a way to make this work. Wish me luck.

MR
Any issues with BMW thinking it was due to you lowering your car that your steering rack went bad?
      09-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #552
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Any issues with BMW thinking it was due to you lowering your car that your steering rack went bad?
Nope, I don't think so. They have their own lowering kit, that would be something and I am not that low.

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #553
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

Looking forward to your carbon roof updates.
Had to skip that one on mine (delivery wk41) as BMW NL is not doing it anymore in NL.
So happy to see your proceedings
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #554
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Devotion View Post
Looking forward to your carbon roof updates.
Had to skip that one on mine (delivery wk41) as BMW NL is not doing it anymore in NL.
So happy to see your proceedings
Bring your car to Alpha N and they do it for you at a good rate, half of what BMW asks.

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #555
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
The work has been done! The carbon roof was installed and this is my story sharing with you the true nature of the installation, which in my opinion was a lot less impactful than I thought. Often I try to stay true to my word supporting the community here and trying to build the custom car, I want to create. However when it comes to the carbon roof I bumped into too many problems with my car and finding a suitable company that could install the roof accordingly.

I tried to work with M Performance themselves, and reached out to contacts around Europe finding a solution creating a story and video that would allow you guys to see what I saw. Some of you might have seen the feature, which we made in the Shmee150 YouTube video and Instagram content, others might have checked my content on my Instagram Story feed.

The final outcome after hearing installation prices of up to 7K EUR, was that Alex the owner of ALPHA-N Performance invited me to have the roof installed at his location. It meant driving my BMW M2 Competition to a little city half an hour from the Nürburgring in the western part of Germany. On site at around 15:30, I was greeted by the owner and his business partner who would do the work on the car accompanied by a mechanic.

I hadn’t arrived and within 5 minutes my car was inside the workshop and ready to be taken apart. In the meantime, Alex and I left to see the Turbomeister livery car parked at a nearby dealer. On my return to my car in the workshop, the front windscreen had already been removed and they start to work on the removal of the roof itself. The removal itself is a decent task in which both windscreens are removed, four bolts are being removed (two on either side) and the large number of welds are being drilled on all four sides of the roof. The drilling takes the longest amount of time and took the mechanics about 6 hours of work.

After the standard roof is removed the full edge of the roof is cleaned and prepared for the carbon roof to go back into place. The dual component glue is put into place on both the car and the carbon roof, which was prepared next to the car. The carbon roof placed on my car is the ALPHA-N Performance carbon roof, which resembles the M4 roof design. The placement of the carbon roof was done by both mechanics and the installation was a relatively easy job.

The roof is clamped and hold into place for at least 12 hours until the glue dries out. After that the windows are put back into place, both at the rear and front. In my case we placed back both side strips and the shark fin antenna in the Hockenheim Silver color. A black color would be better, but since my car will receive a special paint treatment at the end of the year, I found it useless to go down that route of ordering new parts. In case you have a car that is not black, be aware that these three parts need to be ordered, wrapped or painted to provide a better match with the overall look of the car.

To give you some insight into the time and cost of this operation. We are talking roughly about 16 hours of work on the car. Two full days are required including the overnight waiting time for the roof. Also the windscreens require some time before they are tight and properly in place. People who fit their carbon roof should not wash their car for about 3 to 4 days, and should not drive with the window(s) open for at least a day making sure you don’t create any unnecessary pressure on your front and rear windscreens.

On the subject of cost, you would be look at 3K EUR for the total operation. Let me break it down for you guys:
  • ALPHA-N carbon roof 1.899,00 EUR including local VAT (21%)
  • Spare parts (Glue, Clips, etc) 100,00 EUR including local VAT (21%)
  • Installation work 900,00 EUR including local VAT (21%)
  • Complete cost 2.899,00 EUR including local VAT (21%)

For European customer who need TUV registration or a homologation certificate of the roof fitted to the car, can ask the owner of ALPHA-N . He can provide you this for 150,00 EUR including local VAT (21%) in case you require it. In countries like Germany, Belgium and a few others this might come in handy. If you need a new front windscreen than this is 250-270 EUR including VAT.

All cost doesn’t include any kind of transport costs for the car or overnight stays in a hotel if you want to wait for the process. Those cost I did not include above. I can however say to you that if you want to have this work done on your car, the impact itself of the work done is a lot less than I expected. It is not as massive and it all follows really well if you have people working on your car that have done it before.

The ease in which the guys were working on it and the content flow in which things were done showed that these guys at Alpha-N have done more than one or two roofs in their lifetime. The key is finding the right people that know what needs to be done. That is absolutely vital for this process. I would therefore suggest people to reach out to the following companies if there are interested:
  • IND Distribution in the United States
  • Evolve Automotive in the United Kingdom
  • Alpha-N Performance in Germany

For neighboring countries, please make sure to reach out to these companies for the full process and a price quote of installing the roof. As I said, the work is straightforward, not impactful at all. I never felt scared at any moment and it can be done in a number of two days, which is feasible. I won't see it is a piece of cake, because the installation of new hub covers is a lot easier, but it is a job that can be done in a decent time frame and by pro's taking away most of all your concerns.

If you feel, you have a local workshop that can do the work for you, then reach out to Alpha-N directly. They have a full manual available that your workshop can use to install the roof accordingly. All the steps are mentioned in this manual. All in all, the weight gain is 4 kgs when you don't have a sunroof. Cars with a sunroof can do this process as well. You only need to weld in the central structural beam, which is missing on a car with a sunroof.

If you have any more questions after reading of all this, then please let me know.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 09-28-2019 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #556
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Photo gallery 1

Photo 1: Parts under the bonnet are remove to access and improve the removal of the front windscreen.
Photo 2: Masking is done and the front windscreen is removed.
Photo 3: Interior A-pilar parts are being removed as well.
Photo 4: Shark fin is removed as well. The whole Alpha-N team is working or watching the process.
Photo 5: Four bolts are removed.
Photo 6 & 7: The black windscreen residue is removed to get access to the welds.
Photo 8: First welds are drilled.
Photo 9: Parts which are removed, and which I did not swap to black versions due to future plans with the car.
Photo 10: All parts which were removed from the car.
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 09-28-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c782.50
      09-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #557
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Photo gallery 2:

Photo 1: Drilled welds close-up.
Photo 2 & 3: Work continues on drilling the welds.
Photo 4: Time to remove the standard roof.
Photo 5 to 9: Heating up the glue to get the standard roof off the car. Force is used to get the roof off, the roof won't be used again! Therefore there is no issues in bending it. It will go on the scrap heap.
Photo 10: The roof liner is not removed and kept in place.
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 09-28-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c782.50
      09-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #558
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Photo gallery 3:

Photo 1: The roof liner is cleaned and the edges of the roof as well to make sure the carbon roof can go in.
Photo 2: Special colored anti-rust material is used to cover the drilled holes.
Photo 3: Both on the car and on the roof glue is fitted. It is important that the roof is put in place under tension.
Photo 4: All four screws go back in place and the roof is clamped into place for the next 12 hours.
Photo 5: The front windscreen went into the car the next morning.
Photo 6: All other parts were placed back into the car accordingly.
Photo 7 to 10: All ready, now let's wait until I can drive it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #559
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Small update about my car following the installation of the roof. The M2C will be at Manhart Performance in Wuppertal over the coming weeks. If you are interested seeing the final outcome on the carbon roof or any of the other parts, then please let me know and I will make sure the guys on site there will be ready for your arrival.

The car will get its steering rack replaced over the coming weeks and I will have my 30K km service done as well. Easy jobs that will be done when I am busy somewhere else. The car will after that move to the Netherlands for a checkup at AST Suspension and the first step in creating a new design of the car. In collaboration with Topaz Skin in London, I will re-create the Turbomeister livery on my car, and not like BMW did it on the cars they made. Decent job, but I want to do it properly and with the proper weight saving and not a massive amount of M Performance parts.

Additionally, my car will be used for something many of you have been messaging me about and which I will officially reveal to you guys next week. The Emulator Control Unit has been finished for F-Series and G-Series and that means that people asking me for OPF delete solutions will finally be able to pre-order their product.

The M2C one is still in development, because BMW has done something with that car which is making it difficult for the engineers. Hopefully it will all be ready end of November. The product development was done by a team of people in the area of Munich (not BMW) and it will hit the market soon offering a lot of solutions for many queries, not only OPF delete.

MR
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
EthanEJC196.50
      09-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #560
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Clean install!
      09-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #561
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Anyone know what IND charges for the install?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 04:27 AM   #562
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
Anyone know what IND charges for the install?
Scroll up and ask them
Appreciate 1
ebisu81070.50
      10-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #563
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Great write up, very, very informative, much appreciated.
Any plans on a CF hood (with powerdome) ?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #564
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great write up, very, very informative, much appreciated.
Any plans on a CF hood (with powerdome) ?
On its way together with a carbon trunk.

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #565
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

MR
Ah cool. I will receive my M2 comp, incl the CF hood, 14oct.
We could do a minimeet of M2 comp enthousiasts when you're around in NL or Be, if you like.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #566
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:

MR
Don't forget to weigh the car to see how much you have saved
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #567
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah cool. I will receive my M2 comp, incl the CF hood, 14oct.
We could do a minimeet of M2 comp enthousiasts when you're around in NL or Be, if you like.
I am gonna be back in the area in November I think... Let's wait and see what it will be. Currently planning my movements for end of October and November.

You can also drop me a direct message and we continue talking on Whatsapp.

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #568
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Back on the forum after months of being absent, mainly due to a lot of work and travelling. What can I share over the past period?

I am still running my Cup 2's in the winter here in Europe. Great experience lol. Sideways the whole time. I wanted to drive with my FI R wheels through winter because we have global warming anyhow, and I will bring the car to Topaz Detailing next week.

My car had its first 30K km service done. Standard oil service and so on. Next to this, the dealer fixed my steering, which was nothing other than: Disassembly of both wheel bearings at the front to eliminate the noise on the front axle. The cleaned the wheel bearings and all was fine again. Also my car was updated to the latest software version. I had the OPF sensors disabled again.

Finally, I put my car on the weighing scale. The result of all the weight saving is really interesting. We measured with a full tank of fuel and no luggage on board. I left a few little things in the glovebox and arm rest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Xx4-8pJRR/

Outcome was 50 kgs less than stock due to the installation of the exhaust, downpipes, wheels, carbon air intake, coilover kit and carbon roof among many other smaller normal & carbon parts.

Project wise only the carbon trunk and carbon bonnet are still missing. Those will be done in the Spring of 2020 when the CS bonnet is available to order and I can fit it onto the car. Those will remove another 10 kgs I think. Only other way to lower the weight of the car is starting to remove the interior and/or install carbon ceramics instead of the M Sport brake kit.

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #569
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

You could change to a lithium battery. Maybe that's not optimal in cold climates though.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #570
oranzada_m2c
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M2C 2019

@MR. Nice car. If you turned off OPF sensors, i think you losted warranty?
Because i want to delete cold start and turn off VMAX... i will probably lost warranty to...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #571
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

With carbon ceramic brakes, lithium battery, and carbon fiber bonnet/trunk you'd probably be right at the e46 M3 weight (1540kg or 3400lbs).
      12-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #572
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Why not an AP kit for the brakes?