BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clicking noise front rotors

04-08-2024, 10:36 AM   #1
BluOGM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2018 bmw m2  [10.00]
Clicking noise front rotors

View post on imgur.com

Hi fellow M2 guys,

So recently after a spirited mountain drive, I started to notice some click noise while turning and at low speeds, it’s very minimal and not at often times but it’s still very bothering.

I took my brake pads out and turned the wheel alone and it was making a noise, I recorded that and put it in that link.

But what does everyone think the issue is?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:35 PM   #2
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Not sure if you have done this already, but check to see if there is anything caught in-between the dust shield and the inside of the rotor. Very common for small stone and other debris to get caught in there.
      04-09-2024, 09:08 PM   #3
BluOGM2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 bmw m2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Not sure if you have done this already, but check to see if there is anything caught in-between the dust shield and the inside of the rotor. Very common for small stone and other debris to get caught in there.
I did try looking for it, is there any specific area of the shield I need to look at?
Going to take the rotor out and see if the wheel bearing
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:19 PM   #4
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluOGM2 View Post
I did try looking for it, is there any specific area of the shield I need to look at?
Going to take the rotor out and see if the wheel bearing
If you pull out the rotor, anything that was wedged will easily drop out, so that'll be a good check. Other than that, wheel bearing would be good to check as well as you stated.
BluOGM238.00
      04-11-2024, 12:53 AM   #5
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

You have something between the disk and dust shield, or simply the dust shield is touching the disc
Appreciate 1
BluOGM238.00
      04-11-2024, 07:21 AM   #6
BluOGM2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 bmw m2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
You have something between the disk and dust shield, or simply the dust shield is touching the disc
So I did make sure to pull the heat shield away from the rotor so that it’s not touching anything, but I’m gonna take the rotor out and clean the shield and see what’s up. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 02:59 PM   #7
BluOGM2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 bmw m2  [10.00]
Little update as I removed the caliper and rotor, noise still exists.
I have added the new video,
Please help me figure this out. imgur.com
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 07:26 PM   #8
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

That does not sound like a bearing issue. Can you feel anything in the hub when you spin it? Any ratcheting or stickiness as you spin it? It seems to move freely with just your fingers.

Maybe something hung up on the notches of the reluctor ring? Maybe pull the wheel speed sensor out and check in there? It really sounds like something loose clicking on something, and with the brake rotor off, the reluctor ring is about the only thing left.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 08:32 PM   #9
BluOGM2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 bmw m2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
That does not sound like a bearing issue. Can you feel anything in the hub when you spin it? Any ratcheting or stickiness as you spin it? It seems to move freely with just your fingers.

Maybe something hung up on the notches of the reluctor ring? Maybe pull the wheel speed sensor out and check in there? It really sounds like something loose clicking on something, and with the brake rotor off, the reluctor ring is about the only thing left.
So I did confirm with others on the forum and a friend that it is the wheel bearing issue, there is definitely stickiness as I spin it and can feel the sound coming from the bearing.

It’s coming on both sides, so didn’t take the wheel speed sensor out, I had put everything back and still have my warranty with bmw so going to take it to them.

But pretty strange as car has about 43xxx miles and this happened.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:05 PM   #10
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I'm used to bad bearings making more of a grumbling sound. And you can usually feel a vibration as you spin them. But I saw the comments of others likely more experienced than me with BMW bearings, so I could be wrong.

I actually put new front discs on this past weekend, and I noticed that my bearings also make a light clicking sound as I rotate them. Both sides. Similar to your video, but not as pronounced. Absolutely no sticking or notchiness though. And zero play. So not sure if it's an early warning or what. But will be paying very close attention to them this summer. Just a bit over 50K miles on them, and that seems early for bearings.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:43 PM   #11
BluOGM2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 bmw m2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I'm used to bad bearings making more of a grumbling sound. And you can usually feel a vibration as you spin them. But I saw the comments of others likely more experienced than me with BMW bearings, so I could be wrong.

I actually put new front discs on this past weekend, and I noticed that my bearings also make a light clicking sound as I rotate them. Both sides. Similar to your video, but not as pronounced. Absolutely no sticking or notchiness though. And zero play. So not sure if it's an early warning or what. But will be paying very close attention to them this summer. Just a bit over 50K miles on them, and that seems early for bearings.
That sounds like bad wheel bearing to me, so I did notice steering wheel vibrating sometimes very slightly at turns.
It’s better to replace them ahead before it affects the suspension.

I have warranty so I took it to bmw and they are replacing both front bearings.
Appreciate 0