BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition discontinued mid 2021 ?

02-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #45
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Why can't you just buy one in the lot in 2021? they make them until June 2021, they'll likely be sitting on lots longer than that. The g80 m3 will be coming up, there will be lightly used m2c cars for sale from people dumping them to move onto the g80 m3.

That said I'd get out of your lease early and get one now or a model year 2021 because life is too short to keep waiting on stuff.

Yeah right now im looking to do that. Just waiting for a few more things to fall into place before i do. Luckily i negotiated really well for my 230i lease and my negative equity is actually pretty low so at this point im deciding whether or not to attempt to do swapalease or just eat the negative.

Swapalease sounds enticing however i have heard that the process can take a long time and unfortunetly i dont really want to wait and i cant afford 2 car payments at the same time. So i might just eat the negative equity.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #46
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Why can't you just buy one in the lot in 2021? they make them until June 2021, they'll likely be sitting on lots longer than that. The g80 m3 will be coming up, there will be lightly used m2c cars for sale from people dumping them to move onto the g80 m3.

That said I'd get out of your lease early and get one now or a model year 2021 because life is too short to keep waiting on stuff.

Yeah right now im looking to do that. Just waiting for a few more things to fall into place before i do. Luckily i negotiated really well for my 230i lease and my negative equity is actually pretty low so at this point im deciding whether or not to attempt to do swapalease or just eat the negative.

Swapalease sounds enticing however i have heard that the process can take a long time and unfortunetly i dont really want to wait and i cant afford 2 car payments at the same time. So i might just eat the negative equity.
I hope you know that BMW Financial's version of "negative equity" is the exact amount, the same as keeping the vehicle. There is no reduced amount, other than the original terms.

For instance, if you have 12 months @ $500 a month remaining on your lease terms, If you decide to terminate the lease early, you would own them exactly 12*$500= $6,000, the same exact dollar amount as if you had kept the vehicle.

So it makes absolutely zero sense to end a BMW lease early, as they show you absolutely no leniency, other than the original agreed amount.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #47
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Not from what ive been told by multiple dealerships. So far an early lease trade in works like any other lease trade in i've done. They take the payoff price and then they give you a quote on the trade in value of the car. So for example i have a 30,000 pay off price and the dealership offered me 27000 on trade in, so my negative equity is only 3000$. I'm not very far into my lease and if what you tell me is true, then the dealerships should be charging me 9600$
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #48
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not from what ive been told by multiple dealerships. So far an early lease trade in works like any other lease trade in i've done. They take the payoff price and then they give you a quote on the trade in value of the car. So for example i have a 30,000 pay off price and the dealership offered me 27000 on trade in, so my negative equity is only 3000$. I'm not very far into my lease and if what you tell me is true, then the dealerships should be charging me 9600$
If someone is buying out the lease, at the set payoff amount, then that might would work without any possible financial penalty but say you're turning in the vehicle to BMW Financial directly and walking away early, you owe the remaining months left on the contracted lease terms and not a penny less.

I'm 100% sure of this, feel free to call and verify it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #49
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If someone is buying out the lease, at the set payoff amount, then that might would work without any possible financial penalty but say you're turning in the vehicle to BMW Financial directly and walking away early, you owe the remaining months left on the contracted lease terms and not a penny less.

Its possible they do things differently here in California? Because 5 different dealerships have quoted me 5 different trade in values and noone has even mentioned that i would have to pay off the remainder of my lease when i trade in the car.

That aside, i just talked to a dealership about possible waiting for 2021 and he told me that only the CS is being developed for 2021 and that 2020 is the last year of the M2 Competition. Is that true? If it is this true then unfortunetly puts a little more pressure on me to buy this year as i dont really feel the need to spend the extra money on the CS.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #50
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Its possible they do things differently here in California? Because 5 different dealerships have quoted me 5 different trade in values and noone has even mentioned that i would have to pay off the remainder of my lease when i trade in the car.

That aside, i just talked to a dealership about possible waiting for 2021 and he told me that only the CS is being developed for 2021 and that 2020 is the last year of the M2 Competition. Is that true? If it is this true then unfortunetly puts a little more pressure on me to buy this year as i dont really feel the need to spend the extra money on the CS.

It's all the same terms for all of the North American market. The money factor (interest rate) might vary between states.

You can call BMW Financial to verify this but I've been down that road before and was told directly, from several different representatives and verified it through several threads, that this was my only option. The number is (800) 578-5000.

Now, if the dealer is buying out the leased vehicle, what they're doing is getting a payoff quote from BMW FS and possible matching that to write-off the remaining balance.

You have two options to end a BMW lease early; one; pay off the remaining terms, in monthly payments or two; ask them to buy out the vehicle, at the current market rate, plus fees, at a flat pay-off amount.

Usually, a leased vehicles are "upside-down" in value (worth less than owe) because BMW inflates their residuals (projected depreciation amount) to get you a lower payment but in reality, most, if not all leases are worth less than they originally quoted, upon completion of the contract. So there is never a positive equity in a leased vehicle, ever; someone has to always take a loss, to end the terms early, one way or the other.

So to help push out new vehicles, sometimes BMW offer the dealer small incentive programs called "pull-ahead" but most of time, they just paying off your lease terms early, in order to secure the sale and just absorbing the deficient amount.

BMW Financial Services- Options for getting out of your lease https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=177388

Early Lease Termination via Death Question BMWFS https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1208235
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #51
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

The only advantage you get turning in the car early and paying yourself out of it is that you no longer need to pay insurance on a car you aren't going to drive. And garage space, etc... Dealerships can't do anything for you, and probably don't really want to, other than the now very rare lease pull-aheads.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:04 AM   #52
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:

Not true. Will be a 2021 M2C.

As to the lease issue you guys are talking past each other. It doesn't not matter where you live. If you turn in the vehicle directly to BMWFS - which is different than your bmw dealer - then you still owe the remaining payments on your lease. If you sell or trade in your leased car (for the avoidance of any doubt, trade in also = a sale) then all you owe is your payoff plus minus difference in sale price relative to your payoff.

To illustrate, let's say you have a $30k payoff and a balance of $9k in lease payments left over 30 months for the remainder of the lease. If you "turn it in" to BMWFS, you still owe the $9k.

If you, however, sell that car for $30k, then you owe $0. Because you would take that $30k from the buyer and give it to BMWFS.

If you trade in the car, and the dealer offers you $28k, you are responsible for the remaining $2k. In this case the dealer pays the $28k plus the $2k you gave them directly to BMWFS for you so you don't have to worry about it.

If, instead, in the trade in, they offer you $30k, you don't have to worry about anything. If they offer you $31k, well now you have a $1k down payment on your new car.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #53
xxyion
Captain
Rep

I think whats making me nervous is the fact that i cant find a single web article talking about the 2021 MY for the Competition. Everything i find is on the CS which i do not want to purchase as its out of my price range and all the additions it has i can do myself aftermarket for cheaper.

I think i'm just surprised that noone is talking about the last year of the M2 on the F platform. And i think thats making me doubt that there will actually be a 2021 M2 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #54
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:

Early Lease Termination via Death Question BMWFS https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1208235

Hard to believe that a company as large and profitable as BMW would try to extract $12K from the recent widow of a customer...I hope that had a happy ending.

Quote:
I think whats making me nervous is the fact that i cant find a single web article talking about the 2021 MY for the Competition. Everything i find is on the CS which i do not want to purchase as its out of my price range and all the additions it has i can do myself aftermarket for cheaper.

I think i'm just surprised that noone is talking about the last year of the M2 on the F platform. And i think thats making me doubt that there will actually be a 2021 M2 Competition.
I wouldn't expect to see any web or press releases about the MY 2021 M2C at this point. There are probably not going to be any changes, so it's a non-event. I don't recall any advance articles, etc. as the MY 2019 M2C transitioned to MY 2020.

So far, I don't believe ynguldyn has been wrong in his predictions.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      02-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #55
xxyion
Captain
Rep

I mean i would understand no articles going from 2019-2020, however for a last year model i would expect to see more. At this point i can either try and buy know or risk it and wait till June to see if they do release one. If they do then im in the clear. If they dont, maybe i can grab one on the lot before they all get marked up.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      02-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #56
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mean i would understand no articles going from 2019-2020, however for a last year model i would expect to see more. At this point i can either try and buy know or risk it and wait till June to see if they do release one. If they do then im in the clear. If they dont, maybe i can grab one on the lot before they all get marked up.

It is odd that there is no mention of a 2021 MY..

Last year, roughly around this time, there were couple of members here already bragging about their 2020 locked-in allocations.

Also, there was already a back-and-forth critique, regarding the newly released details of the darken taillights..

MY2020 M2C Tinted Taillights https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1590867

So it is kind of strange that there is not a peep about 2021 offerings, not even an unsubstantiated leak..

Kind of weird, so there might be some truth behind the rumor that the 2020 is the last model year for the Competition.. :
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #57
frosty2k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I was one of the ones locking up 2020 allocations. Mine was built in April 2020, but the BMW order guides didn't appear till early March. Expect similar for a no-major-update year.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #58
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Wait so your shocked the click bait automotive media hasn't talked about 2021 yet? How about this, trust here on the forum. You have been told the same answer by 8 different people, all of whom are high number posters/long time members, who follow every thread, production schedule leak, and verified leakers on this forum, tell you that there will be a 2021 M2C + a 2021 M2CS, and your reaction is, but "motor trend doesn't have any articles on it and my sales person who has moved 7 different dealership jobs (all non-BMW) in the last 2 years says it's not true, so now I don't know if it's true"?

How about this, I am so confident that we are right that, if there is no 2021 M2C, I will not only give you my allocation for the M2CS (not decided totally if going to pull the trigger) but will give you cash out of pocket to cover the difference between the CS price and what the 2021 M2C would have been priced at.

Edit: sorry if the above seems snappy, but this thread was starting to get very circular and I haven't had a snickers bar.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #59
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Production is scheduled to end in June 2021. Even if you don’t place your order by then, you should be able to grab one on a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #60
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Wait so your shocked the click bait automotive media hasn't talked about 2021 yet? How about this, trust here on the forum. You have been told the same answer by 8 different people, all of whom are high number posters/long time members, who follow every thread, production schedule leak, and verified leakers on this forum, tell you that there will be a 2021 M2C + a 2021 M2CS, and your reaction is, but "motor trend doesn't have any articles on it and my sales person who has moved 7 different dealership jobs (all non-BMW) in the last 2 years says it's not true, so now I don't know if it's true"?

How about this, I am so confident that we are right that, if there is no 2021 M2C, I will not only give you my allocation for the M2CS (not decided totally if going to pull the trigger) but will give you cash out of pocket to cover the difference between the CS price and what the 2021 M2C would have been priced at.

Edit: sorry if the above seems snappy, but this thread was starting to get very circular and I haven't had a snickers bar.

See you're taking my continuation of the discussion as me not believing people on here. Quite the contrary. I am actually more inclined to believe what ive been told on here compared to what ive been told at the dealership.

As Poochie also mentioned, it is weird that there is no mention at all of a 2021 MY. I'm taking what you guys are saying, but as with everything on the internet i add a grain of salt. Just like how i find it odd that there is no mention of it on any sort of news media for cars, the same would apply if i found a bunch of news on something that seems all but confirmed but noone was talking about it on here.

Please dont take my cautiousness as me not believing people here. Just like you wont believe the first 10 people to tell you that the next M2 will be AWD, i just like to ask some questions and confirm what people are saying while at the same time voicing my concerns.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #61
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

I'm not surprised there is nothing on a 2021 M2 Competition. It is strictly something under the radar as it is just a model year change with no updates.

Want a new and updated M2? Get a CS. Later this year the new M3 and M4 will be revealed. The M2 Competition is a two year old car as the 2021 is just a model year change. No marketing for a simple and last year model change which is what the 2021 model year is for the Competition.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #62
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:

Last year, roughly around this time, there were couple of members here already bragging about their 2020 locked-in allocations.

Also, there was already a back-and-forth critique, regarding the newly released details of the darken taillights..

MY2020 M2C Tinted Taillights https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1590867

So it is kind of strange that there is not a peep about 2021 offerings, not even an unsubstantiated leak..

Kind of weird, so there might be some truth behind the rumor that the 2020 is the last model year for the Competition.. :
You can't compare last year to this year. The 2020 Competition started production in February 2019. 2021 doesn't start until July 2020.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #63
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
I'm not surprised there is nothing on a 2021 M2 Competition. It is strictly something under the radar as it is just a model year change with no updates.

Want a new and updated M2? Get a CS. Later this year the new M3 and M4 will be revealed. The M2 Competition is a two year old car as the 2021 is just a model year change. No marketing for a simple and last year model change which is what the 2021 model year is for the Competition.
You make a fair point. TBH this is my first foray into the BMW/German Auto world. I'm primarily a JDM guy and the two worlds are quite different. For the 86 platform, theres almost too much info on the continuing years (as well as too many rumors) and even the STI which is rumored to be discontinued this year has its fair share of the rumor mill.

I think i just expected something more along those lines, however i do forget that this car is 2-3 times more expensive that the ones i previously mentioned. Having an M2 C is kind of its own exclusive club.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #64
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Quote:

You can't compare last year to this year. The 2020 Competition started production in February 2019. 2021 doesn't start until July 2020.
I know the typical model year run ends in June and starts back production of the new year around August but since of the 2020 started early, I assume it would be the same for this year.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:48 PM   #65
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Production is scheduled to end in June 2021. Even if you don’t place your order by then, you should be able to grab one on a lot.
Affirmative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
EOP for current models:
F22 2er - 06/21
F87 M2 - 06/21
F23 2er - 10/21
[...]
Upcoming new models:
2022 G42 2er
2023 G87 M2
[...]
*First news about the next (G87) M2: production 12/2022-03/2029, likely in Mexico.
Cross-reference: see also the G87 M2 (provisional) dedicated thread here.
      02-15-2020, 02:42 AM   #66
RamonRuiz
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i

This is my first message on the forum, been reading some months.

Just wanna say, as I read on a german forum, itīs very possible You canīt register a M2 Competition in Europe after December 2020 due to emission regulations. M2 Competition in Europe is Euro 6d temp. 6D temp allow Nox emissions above Euro 6D but in January 2021 all car registered must comply with Euro6D and M2C doesnīt meet that regulation.

Any insight on this info?
Appreciate 0