BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Anyone else's bluetooth/itunes get confused?

01-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Anyone else's bluetooth/itunes get confused?

[RANT]

Man, sometimes my car just loses its shit and I can't get my phone music to work with it properly no matter what I do. It's not as simple as the car not recognizing my phone, it's just all sorts of weirdness.

- Phone is recognized but won't play music
- Phone is recognized and phone will play only one song
- Car seems to have its own shuffle sometimes, doesn't even show the same song on my phone
- Regardless of what's playing on my phone, the car will randomly reset the music to the first song (alphabetically) in my iTunes.
- About 5 other issues I can't remember

The problems seem to come and go as well, like it'll work ok for a few weeks, then nothing I do will get the music to play.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a reset procedure that I can perform every time I have an issue to make sure the damn thing works?

This thing is CRAP IMO.

[/END RANT]

iPhone 6s
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Yep same issue on the 19 M2C and previous BMWs too. All ranges of iPhones as well. The alphabetical thing really got me and other people who would get in my car would notice it too. I can’t stand the song Africa now. I shudder whenever I hear it.

What ultimately solved the problem for me, was to simply use apple CarPlay. I’m not overly enthused about the interface but it works reliably and is a better option if you listen to podcasts.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Yep same issue on the 19 M2C and previous BMWs too. All ranges of iPhones as well. The alphabetical thing really got me and other people who would get in my car would notice it too. I can’t stand the song Africa now. I shudder whenever I hear it.

What ultimately solved the problem for me, was to simply use apple CarPlay. I’m not overly enthused about the interface but it works reliably and is a better option if you listen to podcasts.
Thanks for the reply, at least I'm not the only one!

To be honest, I've seen all the posts about car-play, but it never interested me because my commute is 3.1 miles. I just want a little background. Guess it'll be the N55.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post

True for me also. CarPlay seems to work pretty well. Standard BT with BMW has been crap for me back to 2007 E92.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #5
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Thanks for the reply, at least I'm not the only one!

To be honest, I've seen all the posts about car-play, but it never interested me because my commute is 3.1 miles. I just want a little background. Guess it'll be the N55.
I basically have the same commute, albeit it sometimes takes me about 30 minutes to travel those 3 miles, but another story. There is a member here who can enable carplay for a nominal fee, also it's full screen vs 3/4 standard BMW. Might be worth it. Also, you can switch between carplay and bmw BT at any time if you find you favor one over the other. Either way, good luck and I too would often prefer to enjoy the N55 soundtrack!
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6633.50
      01-07-2021, 03:25 AM   #6
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

It's been better seemingly since unplugging dash cam hardwire kit (? Faraday cage effect).

Now and then it goes nuts and connects reconnects really quickly though thankfully rare.

Even getting used to HK which I thought initially was dire. Human memory for audio quality is very forgetful thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #7
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

Carplay worked flawlessly for me when I first got the car and I had an iPhone 6s. Upgraded the firmware to most recent version and carplay was basically inoperable. Got an iPhone 11 now and it works ~okay with carplay but leaves a lot to be desired in quality.

Definitely not alone.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
It started working normally for me again this morning. Starting with the first song alphabetically again, of course, but I'll take it. At least the music plays and I can select a different song.

The thing is crap.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 04:28 AM   #9
jbsf3
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Happy to hear its not just me, iphone 6s here, it seems to help if iTunes is open on the phone lately. I didn't have to do this in the past but now it only seems to work if iTuens is open. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #10
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsf3 View Post
Happy to hear its not just me, iphone 6s here, it seems to help if iTunes is open on the phone lately. I didn't have to do this in the past but now it only seems to work if iTuens is open. Weird.
I've found a bit of a work-around to it now. I just make sure that before I get to my car I start my iTunes shuffle, then pause it. Once I get in my car it's then found pretty easily, although it randomly returns to the first song again. I mean, the whole system is just crap, but what can you do.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #11
jbsf3
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot!

Quote:
I've found a bit of a work-around to it now. I just make sure that before I get to my car I start my iTunes shuffle, then pause it. Once I get in my car it's then found pretty easily, although it randomly returns to the first song again. I mean, the whole system is just crap, but what can you do.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:14 AM   #12
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if this is more of an iTunes thing than a CaprPlay thing? As I reread this thread, I realized I don't really have these issues but then again I use Spotify.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I wonder if this is more of an iTunes thing than a CaprPlay thing? As I reread this thread, I realized I don't really have these issues but then again I use Spotify.

Just a thought.
My iTunes never gets confused, nor does it start from the beginning song. It's definitely a car issue. But it's no big deal, I didn't expect it to work properly in the first place.

The best part is that my car came with the option of Apple Car Play, and I've never used it. Maybe I'll figure that out.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #14
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My iTunes never gets confused, nor does it start from the beginning song. It's definitely a car issue. But it's no big deal, I didn't expect it to work properly in the first place.

The best part is that my car came with the option of Apple Car Play, and I've never used it. Maybe I'll figure that out.
I don't mean that iTunes is buggy, was thinking the car issues arise from using iTunes with CarPlay vs CarPlay with Spotify or other 3rd party music players/streamers.

Again, a guess
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #15
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I don't mean that iTunes is buggy, was thinking the car issues arise from using iTunes with CarPlay vs CarPlay with Spotify or other 3rd party music players/streamers.

Again, a guess
Man, I honestly don't know. I don't listen to music much anyway, it takes me 8 minutes to get to work, and when I'm driving for pleasure the music is off. So it's all good either way.
Appreciate 0