BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Forget the PPF and Ceramic, who is going to DIY wash / wax and drive

01-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #89
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Thanks man. The stone chips on BSM paint are white!! And I couldn’t handle that. First black car. Most of my other cars are white and stone chips don’t seem to bother me as much.
This is my first black car as well. I tried to stay away from black, but it's the only color that truly grabbed my emotions. I wanted blue because it's so easy to keep clean and doesn't look dirty after driving for a week (unless it rains). Ended up covering the entire car. Apparently Llumar had a template for the rear diffuser, which was a nice surprise. I read that most don't get the diffuser covered.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3774.50
      01-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #90
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks man. The stone chips on BSM paint are white!! And I couldn’t handle that. First black car. Most of my other cars are white and stone chips don’t seem to bother me as much.
so that won't happen with PPF, it doesn't leave the stone chipped look in a different shade?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #91
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
so that won't happen with PPF, it doesn't leave the stone chipped look in a different shade?
Like a dent in the PPF? I don’t really care about that. The film did its job then. I would just replace the film if it became a major issue and didn’t come out with heat etc. self healing is nice but it isn’t fail proof
      01-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #92
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Like a dent in the PPF? I don’t really care about that. The film did its job then. I would just replace the film if it became a major issue and didn’t come out with heat etc. self healing is nice but it isn’t fail proof
I hate the though of paying $6600 for PPF + ceramic (my appt is tentatively for Feb 1st), but its starting to feel like i have no choice. Been driving around on dry winter days in NJ, the sides are just so dirty. Car looks insane in BSM though. I'm biased, but i can't imagine buying it in another color.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3774.50
      02-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #93
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Not sure. I would have thought the PPF alone might have a little drag, but thought the ceramic on top would fill any potus area in material and make slick. I'm a noob to all this, so have no clue. I didn't touch it while it was in my garage so I'll have to report back after I pick it up. Hoping my detail spray will still yield that satisfying slickness.
100% XPEL ultimate plus wrap on my '20 M2C here - I use Nanolex SiSplash after the wash somewhat as a drying aid, but also to throw a layer of protectant on it after it's dry. I tell you what - after about 10 minutes after wiping it off the XPEL, the film feels every bit as slick as a freshly waxed/ceramic coated paint.

Just my 2 cents. PPF is expensive, no doubt, but for me it gives that extra peace of mind to where it's more than worth the up front cost. I also keep my cars for long periods of time.
Appreciate 2
RJD851128.00
      02-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #94
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
100% XPEL ultimate plus wrap on my '20 M2C here - I use Nanolex SiSplash after the wash somewhat as a drying aid, but also to throw a layer of protectant on it after it's dry. I tell you what - after about 10 minutes after wiping it off the XPEL, the film feels every bit as slick as a freshly waxed/ceramic coated paint.

Just my 2 cents. PPF is expensive, no doubt, but for me it gives that extra peace of mind to where it's more than worth the up front cost. I also keep my cars for long periods of time.
Thanks. I'll use my google machine and look up Nanolex SiSplash. J Always looking for new / great products to try.
ROASTM163.50
      02-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #95
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I'll use my google machine and look up Nanolex SiSplash. J Always looking for new / great products to try.
I'm a bit of a detailing freak, and am always hesitant/skeptical around new products that claim to be comparable to the likes of ceramic coatings, etc. - but damn, this stuff is great. I used to solely use Adam's detail spray as my drying aid for for a little extra gloss (and slickness) after a wash, but SiSplash is my new favorite and is perfectly safe for usage on PPF. Does it last as long as a true ceramic or other more intense application products? Certainly not, but in my experience, it retains that slick feel and awesome beading/sheeting of water for at least a month, depending on the sorts of weather your car experiences on a day to day basis.

I think you can get it on amazon, but the product is mostly advertised through/by Detailer's Domain.

I'm also a fan of Sonax Spray and Seal, however, this product can only be used on wet paint (and PPF), but must be applied in the shade and rinsed immediately. Great product, but I tend to only use it on my Wrangler and wife's CX-5. The M2C and e46 M get the SiSplash.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3774.50
      02-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #96
RJD851
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 M3, X4 M40i

Quote:

I also have ppf so I'm going to give this a try.

Unrelated question but does anyone know what kind of wheels are on the car in the SiSplash video? Pretty cool that they used an M2C
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #97
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a bit of a detailing freak, and am always hesitant/skeptical around new products that claim to be comparable to the likes of ceramic coatings, etc. - but damn, this stuff is great. I used to solely use Adam's detail spray as my drying aid for for a little extra gloss (and slickness) after a wash, but SiSplash is my new favorite and is perfectly safe for usage on PPF. Does it last as long as a true ceramic or other more intense application products? Certainly not, but in my experience, it retains that slick feel and awesome beading/sheeting of water for at least a month, depending on the sorts of weather your car experiences on a day to day basis.

I think you can get it on amazon, but the product is mostly advertised through/by Detailer's Domain.

I'm also a fan of Sonax Spray and Seal, however, this product can only be used on wet paint (and PPF), but must be applied in the shade and rinsed immediately. Great product, but I tend to only use it on my Wrangler and wife's CX-5. The M2C and e46 M get the SiSplash.
Quote:
Quote:

Love my Nanolex products from DetailersDomain! They will also be doing my M2 CS full PPF and ceramic!

Interesting note about the Sonax Spray and Seal to be used only on wet. Hmm, not sure what to think about that. I usually use detail spray later at night (day of wash) in a cool garage. Bought a case during the last sale but haven't tried it out yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:39 PM   #98
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Can it be applied to a high-quality, detailer-applied ceramic coating (on top of PPF)? Does it make much difference to such? Seems like putting coating on coating on coating (on clear coat on paint on primer...) Feels like I'm up-armoring the vehicle for Counter-IED duty.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #99
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Love my Nanolex products from DetailersDomain! They will also be doing my M2 CS full PPF and ceramic!

Interesting note about the Sonax Spray and Seal to be used only on wet. Hmm, not sure what to think about that. I usually use detail spray later at night (day of wash) in a cool garage. Bought a case during the last sale but haven't tried it out yet.
The SiSplash will work well for the detail spray later at night after drying as well.

If you're in the shade and the car is wet, the Spray and Seal is great too, but when they say don't let it sit in the sun or dry on the car, they mean it - you really do have to rinse immediately. It works great for my silver Jeep, but when I tried it on my jet black e46 M while washing in very overcast weather, it still streaked quite a bit from drying on the car prior to rinsing, and truly wasn't on there long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxM2CS View Post
Can it be applied to a high-quality, detailer-applied ceramic coating (on top of PPF)? Does it make much difference to such? Seems like putting coating on coating on coating (on clear coat on paint on primer...) Feels like I'm up-armoring the vehicle for Counter-IED duty.
I'm not an expert in ceramic coatings, but SiSplash is fine to use on top of an existing ceramic coating and/or PPF, and I believe it ultimately serves a similar role as any other "topper" that your installer (if you didn't DIY the ceramic) likely recommended - absolutely worth giving it a try and buying a bottle.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3774.50
      02-03-2021, 11:47 PM   #100
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Figured I should add a picture too - hopefully that worked. Not a great shot of what LBB really looks like in the sun, but I think you can see the extra gloss that I feel is being accentuated by the SiSplash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ptgltw3774.50
      02-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #101
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Yeah, looks really good off the hood in the 1st pic. Love the color contrast between the direct sunlight reflected off the side and the shadowed and grazing angles.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50