BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Forget the PPF and Ceramic, who is going to DIY wash / wax and drive

01-05-2021, 04:36 PM   #23
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
10,000 miles on my competition. No PPF at all. Just some minor pits on plastic bumper. Can only see if you are close. Doesn't bother me one bit. I drive.

The CS has PPF on entire front. I was gonna go bumper only. However, all my track cars have full front PPF. This is not my track car, but if I want to take it out a couple times on track I feel better with PPF since that's where the majority of paint chips happen for me.

In the end, it's personal and comes down to your personality and analness.
I recommend ppf on plastic bumper for the ease of bug removal.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #24
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Having had 2 M2's already this time I'm going to pony up for some PPF, key areas that take a beating: front bumper, rockers, rear fenders, and rear bumper behind the wheels.
      01-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #25
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Of course my car is SBM. The hardest to work on and keep clean but when it's clean oh my does it shine.

And yes my questions regarding the exterior are:

is the paint original...does it have parking lot dings (that's my pet peeve), swirls, clear coat damange etc...usually my last question is about rock chips...they never really bothered me...until I got a Dakar E36 from Arizona. Man was that thing blasted! No way I could drive a car like that around. I had to repaint the bumper. In europe they really don't see bumpter resprays as a negative. But here in the US. How dare you....lol. It's not original paint. $5000 deduction.
Ha cool so you and i will be the two BSM's with no PPF....maybe provided I don't go through with it.

The weird thing is I am much more anal about replacing the reflector, the side markers (With the IND carbon painted) and the ugly exhaust which makes me want to sell the car immediately every time i look it.

The thing about the exhaust is, i think its hideous, and then when i look at pics with cars that have an akrapovic my first reaction is "it looks like something is missing" lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #26
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Ha cool so you and i will be the two BSM's with no PPF....maybe provided I don't go through with it.

The weird thing is I am much more anal about replacing the reflector, the side markers (With the IND carbon painted) and the ugly exhaust which makes me want to sell the car immediately every time i look it.

The thing about the exhaust is, i think its hideous, and then when i look at pics with cars that have an akrapovic my first reaction is "it looks like something is missing" lol.
I had the side markers tinted while getting ppf. ~$60 You can also get them blacked out.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #27
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I had the side markers tinted while getting ppf. ~$60 You can also get them blacked out.
I already ordered the IND reflector deletes and the carbon side markers, they come tomorrow. Ship has sailed on those. $60 is a great price and i can't tell the difference from that pic. We also have the same spec (BSM, Gold, Red calipers)
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #28
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post

Ha my exact thoughts. So I went with Active Midpipe and painting the udder black as I did my M2C. Cleans up the back end nicely and for $800 midpipe you get amazing sound and shaving off a couple pounds.

I'm with you on the front sidemarkers. Hideous and my kit from IND is in the mail. I went with the cheaper sticker package for the rear. It will look cool in black which will contrast the BSM and match the wheels and trim.
      01-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #29
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

yup, the advantages of having BSM. Your car looks amazing. What tint did you go with? I'm probably going to do Xpel Prime Plus 45
      01-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #30
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Warning: this post won't be popular with everyone and I'm playing a little devils advocate...Here are my random thoughts.

Nowadays people are spending gobs of money just to stop from getting a few rock chips or to make it easier to wash and dry their car by 15 minutes.

Full disclosure: That guy is me. I've done full PPF before, spent $11,000 on it. All the goodies....car sat in garage as I drove it 900 miles and then sold it after a year.....Whose faught was that? Mine yes I know.

Is all this stuff worth it? I will be the first to argue a good detailer is worth their weight in gold....but from new?

My best full correction / coating / detail results come after many years of enjoyment and driving. Taking my tired beloved and making it look new again...there is a tremendous amount of value there.

So now I'm asking myself whatever happened to the good ole wash and wax and do it again? Back when cocaine Charlie bought his white Countach in 1984 do you think he did anything any different?

It's like everyone owns a super car and is afraid to drive it and get a rock chip or a scratch. I know I know, the M2 CS is our super car. I get it.

Me personally, I'm so back and forth as how to handle this M2 CS. My detailer is one of the best in the country. I've had him do everything from a full wrap on a new car, on a used car, corrected a classic BMW for me (actually about 6 of them) and coated them. His work is second to none IMHO and I have full trust and faith in him.

I've considered a full wrap, full front, bumper only, just a correction and coating and now I'm considering doing it myself. Polish and wax and sealant.

So the level of detail is ranging from about $11,000 to $100 for supplies.

So my question is...who out there is going to DIY clean it up from the dealer and wax it themselves?

There is also a satisfaction of not letting a car "own you" and "you owning the car" so to speak. Should we really worry about a rock chip or two. A micro scratch or two?

With that said, I might still have a full wrap done or DIY clean it and maintain it. Mental gymnastics are exhausting but I can't be the only one going thru this.

I do think the car is going to be a long term car for me. Probably 5 years plus. But do I really want to save it for the next guy?

Thoughts?
Who's your detailer?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #31
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wolfgang rinseless doubles as an excellent detail spray. Really blew me away. I washed my car with wolfgang rinseless, and wiped down with the detail mixture in a spray bottle. I like it so much I bought it in the gallon size when I ran out.

https://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wolf...less-wash.html

My detail guy said to only use the Reload every 4th wash and to continue using this the way I was using it on previous car. Super slick when wiped down.

Only paint correction and wax when I first got it. This is the day I turned it in.

I'm a huge fan of rinseless wash. Spray on, let sit, spray off...spray back on, then give it the traditional soap suds bath. Makes for a nice slippery and prepped surface to work with.
      01-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #32
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Who's your detailer?
Can't divulge that info but I will say if you google my screen name and read the articles his name will likely come up.
      01-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #33
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Quote:
Wolfgang rinseless doubles as an excellent detail spray. Really blew me away. I washed my car with wolfgang rinseless, and wiped down with the detail mixture in a spray bottle. I like it so much I bought it in the gallon size when I ran out.

https://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wolf...less-wash.html

My detail guy said to only use the Reload every 4th wash and to continue using this the way I was using it on previous car. Super slick when wiped down.

Only paint correction and wax when I first got it. This is the day I turned it in.

I'm a huge fan of rinseless wash. Spray on, let sit, spray off...spray back on, then give it the traditional soap suds bath. Makes for a nice slippery and prepped surface to work with.
I do the hose less rinseless bath with Optimum. Works amazing. If the car is real dirty it'll get a foam and pressure spray prior. It's awesome just wiping the car down with a wet micro fiber and drying right there with no hose required.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #34
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Quote:
Thanks for the therapy guys....

That's the problem I'm having...scope creep. Can I afford a $11,000 detail? Fortunately yes. Can I just have the bumper ppf and ppf the sweet CF hood and roof? Likely not...so then eventually it becomes the entire car.

Last time I had my entire car done...driving along the highway a week later and guess what! Rock in the windshield. I chose not to get the windshield done because of the extreme caution you need not to accidently turn on your wipers when dry.

So then I'm back to square 1. Why not go old school on it? My washing techniques are really good....but then again my car is SBM as well.

Fortunately I didn't get CUP 2's because I had them on my Shelby GT350R and realized it's overkill for a street car. So I don't have the super sticky tire issue.

Again thanks for the responses..they are helping thus far.

I'm going to start with the DIY and see how long that will last me. Knowing all my other cars are detailed to a higher level, it will be interesting to see how I can cope with the DIY. But then again all my other cars are 1988-1995 so I couldn't personally detail those to show condition. I don't have those skills. But I can take a new car and try to preserve it.

I hate detailing but love washing. I use it as therapy. I was actually cleaning the wheels in 20 degree temps last weekend and didn't mind one bit. Had to keep breaking up the frozen water in the bucket.

Keep the opinions coming please, I don't judge or bite. I've been thru it all.
Hey - who's your detailer in MD? PM me if you'd prefer. Getting a couple of quotes in NoVA. $11K is pricey but you're making a strong testimonial.

SA emailed me today that my car's been released from Port of Baltimore (hope yours is too, Supadice - any day now!!)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #35
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Quote:

Your car looks fantastic, Dave. Like many have said, no bad color option. The M2CS will be my first non-black car since the 1980's.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #36
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxM2CS View Post
Hey - who's your detailer in MD? PM me if you'd prefer. Getting a couple of quotes in NoVA. $11K is pricey but you're making a strong testimonial.

SA emailed me today that my car's been released from Port of Baltimore (hope yours is too, Supadice - any day now!!)
PM sent
      01-05-2021, 07:40 PM   #37
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yup, the advantages of having BSM. Your car looks amazing. What tint did you go with? I'm probably going to do Xpel Prime Plus 45
I'm unsure of the tint brand. It's 35% nano tint. I'll see if I can dig up the brand.

Edit: believed to be either Suntek or Llumar. The ppf is Llumar.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-05-2021 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #38
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Having owned many black cars in the past included the non metallic one on my e30 I would probably PPF the car if black. They are super hard to maintain compared to other colours.

Otherwise I enjoy washing and detailing my own car. No PPF, no ceramic coat. Here is my 27 month old M2C which is about to be traded. That's how it looks all the time. So incredibly shiny. The photo only picks up a fraction of the shine and incredible colour. I will miss that colour and also the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 12:53 AM   #39
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Will def do pro PPF and Ceramic.

Question is, Full Front vs. Full Car PPF... +$$$$
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:31 AM   #40
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I nearly full wrapped my m3 - came the trunk and the full quarter panel close. My only regret is I spent upwards of 6000 for a car I’m now trading in with only 9000 miles for the m2 cs. However, the experience of it made me realize I will never own a car without a full PPF.

To me, it’s not about whether it’s a super car or not. I’m super anal about my things and scratches/dents are a pet peeve. I’m the guy that will resell an iPad if the screen gets scratched to get a new one without it and take a couple hundred dollar hit

You cannot go back on rock chips and paint damage without PPF. I could not drive the car peacefully knowing it was being damaged each drive- is that the car owning me? Probably- but it’s part of what makes this hobby interesting and fun and I almost find it challenging to keep it in great shape despite road conditions.

My 18 m3 comp looks like it rolled off the lot. Nearly 3 years later and you couldn’t find a scratch on it. That helped enable me to be in a position to trade in on a lease without a loss to get this car.

There will be no expense spared with my m2 cs as I plan to keep the car as long as I can financially merit it and eventually it’ll be a stable mate to whatever cool car I want to get four or five years down the line so having it protected from day one is no question for me
Appreciate 2
ptgltw3771.00
MomoM3981.00
      01-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #41
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Yeah, so I'm sold on full car PPF now despite the cost.

deceptiv.M3 I share the same sentiment with you. I spent a chunk of cash on PPF and ceramic for my 2018 M3 ZCP only to sell this year at 13,000 miles. BUT... same... I couldn't not do it again. It eases my anxiety about driving it. I can't stand nicks and blemishes.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #42
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think it's great to have threads like this for everyone thinking about it. This thread is really unbiased in my opinion and really captures the entire thought process from diy to full wrap. It goes well beyond pros and cons and gets to the the personal emotions that go along with the process. There's no wrong direction, but this may help individuals see where they align in the thread after some personal reflection. Hopefully help them be at ease with there decision knowing that there are plenty of like minded enthusiasts.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3771.00
      01-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #43
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I received word that my tint is Llumar CTX
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3771.00
      01-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #44