BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear alignment adjustment issue

01-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Rear alignment adjustment issue

Recently I decided to redo my track alignment for the M2c. My intended spec is front -2.5 camber 0 toe, read -1.8 camber 0.11 degree toe in

For some reason, the rear right wheel cannot adjust beyond -1.5 degrees of camber and the eccentric bolt is at the maximum. Also my toe adjustment was maxed out at 0.10 toe in and cannot go further inside.

My rear left wheel was able to achieve -2.0 and still good amount of toe adjustment.

I suspect some bushing or components need to be replaced and ordered SPL toe arms. Am I at the right direction? What could be the potential failure? Theres no visually bending or cracking whatsoever.

TIA
      01-02-2021, 12:02 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Did you buy the car new or has it had a hit in the rear end?

Not the best way to measure but see if the rear subframe is square. Measure the wheels to the arches and also the amount of poke of the tires. Maybe the frame is bolted a bit off

Replacing with adjustable arms is not the right way to fix if there is an underlying issue
      01-02-2021, 02:11 AM   #3
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Did you buy the car new or has it had a hit in the rear end?

Not the best way to measure but see if the rear subframe is square. Measure the wheels to the arches and also the amount of poke of the tires. Maybe the frame is bolted a bit off

Replacing with adjustable arms is not the right way to fix if there is an underlying issue
It was used but it was a car from bmw so I don't think they will fix a rear crash without being on record.. good advice on checking the rear subframe though
      01-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #4
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Not trying to strike fear but a tail happy curb slap and then with a few replacement arms can bring the alignment back within spec with no obvious damage.

See if you can jack the rear and have a look at he colour of the aluminium arms and parts and see if they have discoloured evenly side to side etc.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
      01-02-2021, 05:55 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Unfortunately I concur with the above, most likely that car has suffered a rear wheel strike on that side.

I'm not sure what BMW car sales have to do with that. If me as an owner slid my car into a curb and damaged the rear end. I might get it cheaply repaired and sell it on quick. A dealership is not going to be looking for that kind of issue unless it is really noticeable.

Hopefully it will be nothing more than a bent arm or two. Worst case the subframe will be compromised.
Appreciate 1
Fabb228.50
      01-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #6
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Unfortunately I concur with the above, most likely that car has suffered a rear wheel strike on that side.

I'm not sure what BMW car sales have to do with that. If me as an owner slid my car into a curb and damaged the rear end. I might get it cheaply repaired and sell it on quick. A dealership is not going to be looking for that kind of issue unless it is really noticeable.

Hopefully it will be nothing more than a bent arm or two. Worst case the subframe will be compromised.
what I meant is that the previous owner was BMW corporate, and the carfax was squeaky clean. Also agree with that there might be some damage and hope that it's not frame related.
      02-02-2021, 04:16 AM   #7
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #8
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
I think I started to get the surface of the issue(s). Just replaced the rear toe arm and found out that the monoball from the left toe link was loose. This could cause the left rear to have more range with the loose monoball. Suspecting more arms needs to be replaced but I don't think it's too big of an issue.