BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clicking noise - spacers?

01-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Clicking noise - spacers?

Hey guys, I have an M2C running 763m dropped on M-perf coilovers and 10mm Future Classic spacers F&R. As you all know, the front rubs the wheel liner with this current setup. I decided to work on the rub by heating the plastic liner and reshaping it as done by another forum member. I managed to get it to a point where the rub is way less than what it was before, but not 100%. However, upon reinstalling the wheels I am now getting this clicking sound only when driving slowly (whether forward or backwards). The noise seems to go away if I am driving over 10-20 mph. I am going to attempt to take off the spacers tomorrow and see if the problem is resolved, but ideally I'd want to keep the spacers on. Any ideas on what this could be? I suppose it could be something in the suspension getting loose and the timing is pointing me to the wrong thing, but everything was fine prior to me doing this. Car is also fairly new, only had it for 3 months.

Things I've tried:
1. Unmounted and remounted wheels ensuring 100% contact to spacers
2. Spacers were never removed from the car while I was working on the fender liner. Future classic spacers come with bolts that secure it to the hub. I confirmed they were both still 100% secured.
3. Spacers come with extended lug bolts, all properly torqued to 105 ft/lbs. Checked and rechecked.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 comp

Does the noise happen when turning the steering wheel? or when you are just rolling
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM2C View Post
Does the noise happen when turning the steering wheel? or when you are just rolling
Does not happen when turning steering wheel only when the car is moving and only when it's going slow. Happens going straight or reversing straight on uneven pavement.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Try taking off the spacers first to rule them out. I've seen spacers cause noise like what you're describing. Normally from low end names so it's strange that's your Future Classics would make the noise but manufacturing defects can always happen though.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #5
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM2C View Post
Small update, I was able to replicate the noise from turning the steering wheel as you suggested, but not consistently. What do you know about this? I'm in the process of removing my spacers too so that I can rule them out.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Spacers removed and noise is still there, so I guess it was just coincidental timing. Strange that I didn't notice it before. Next thing to look into are my m-performance coilovers I guess. I think I will leave the spacers off, I forgot how nice it is to be able to reverse without rubbing.
Appreciate 0