BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension that does Granny to Race setting :)

12-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
RickHansen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Suspension that does Granny to Race setting :)

So, i don't mind the standard suspension at all, but I was curious with the abundance of options out there if there is for example a set of Bilsteins or KW for example that basically has a softer setting for a rough road drive or highway trip comfort that is softer than standard as well as a sport setting that is as good or better than standard...coupled with the ability to lower it.
Any experience out there?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
sprintamx
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

There's no direct answer here; rather, it "depends."

There is an abundance of "adjustable" options, but it all depends on valving, spring rates, and your own tastes.

For example, some folks like the basic Bilstein PSS10 valving and spring rates, while others don't. Some like how the BMW Msport are valved and sprung, some don't. And so on.

The simplest answer to your question is that, yes, there are many options for "adjustable" dampers, that will adjust from "soft" to "firm," which are relative terms. But, it is critical to research how each option is valved, how the adjustability affects compression and rebound, spring rates for a particular setup, range of travel and height adjustability, and other factors.

As a very rough shortcut, the OE dampers are a touch under damped for the springs -- in my opinion. That said, for general enjoyment of the car, unless there is a specific performance envelop that you're trying to hit, like track performance, it's tough to find a "better" setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
RickHansen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I guess he envelope I am 70% after is cushier than stock
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

What you're asking for doesn't exist. Never has.

All suspension systems are a compromise in one way or another.

You will never find a suspension that rides exceptionally plush and aggressive at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 03:11 AM   #5
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHansen View Post
So, i don't mind the standard suspension at all, but I was curious with the abundance of options out there if there is for example a set of Bilsteins or KW for example that basically has a softer setting for a rough road drive or highway trip comfort that is softer than standard as well as a sport setting that is as good or better than standard...coupled with the ability to lower it.
Any experience out there?
Cheers
The AST 5100 kit will get you close to what you are looking for. I run them halfway in the adjustment range and they are more comfortable than stock but have much better handling.

They can be made to feel much softer than stock if wanted (way softer than I'd ever want), and then really stiff for the track.

Front springs are 90nm progressive, rears are 90nm linear.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 03:17 AM   #6
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintamx View Post
There's no direct answer here; rather, it "depends."

There is an abundance of "adjustable" options, but it all depends on valving, spring rates, and your own tastes.

For example, some folks like the basic Bilstein PSS10 valving and spring rates, while others don't. Some like how the BMW Msport are valved and sprung, some don't. And so on.

The simplest answer to your question is that, yes, there are many options for "adjustable" dampers, that will adjust from "soft" to "firm," which are relative terms. But, it is critical to research how each option is valved, how the adjustability affects compression and rebound, spring rates for a particular setup, range of travel and height adjustability, and other factors.

As a very rough shortcut, the OE dampers are a touch under damped for the springs -- in my opinion. That said, for general enjoyment of the car, unless there is a specific performance envelop that you're trying to hit, like track performance, it's tough to find a "better" setup.
All good points, apart from the shocks are actually over damped - the front springs are only 35nm but feel like 100nm. When driving quickly, the front spring (that is offside to the corner) will dip during turn in - it's just not strong enough to prevent it.
Appreciate 0