BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bavsound Ghost Underseat Subwoofer

12-21-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Bavsound Ghost Underseat Subwoofer

Just curious if anyone has installed the BavSound Ghost Underseat Subwoofer in their M2/M2C. I have the HK system which produces a nice sound but I feel is lacking a bit in the low frequency range. I have the BavSound speakers in my 2005 330ci ZHP coupled with a 10" self powered subwoofer and it is a very clean and rich sounding system, and still has the ability to pound hard when necessary.
I'm not looking or expecting the same with the Ghost Subs, but would appreciate any feedback on these that's out there.

https://www.bavsound.com/pages/build-your-kit?step=3

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Was considering a system like this (bavsound/bimmertech) but heard 3 major complaints over and over:

1. Not a huge improvement over stock. For the money you'd think it would be night and day. Yes, it's convenient because it's plug and play but it should at least make a noticable difference in sound, and I've heard/read from multiple reviews online that it really doesn't. If you want a real change go with a real system and a trunk mounted sub.

2. Noticeable amount of vibration added requiring dynamat or other sound deadening to be added. Even after doing so some reviews I read still complained that the car rattled from the outside. Idk about you but when I hear a car's sub making the liscene plate or anything else rattle I roll my eyes and think "wow that's cheap".

3. An amp would be needed to get any real change in sound. This is an added expense and an issue since you'd need to have it removed and replaced with OEM amp if ever doing dealer visits where an istep update is needed. This might be rare but it's not uncommon and it's a potential inconvenience down the road.

So in the end I decided it wasn't worth doing. I ended up coding my OEM HK amp instead. Free and easy:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1749554
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 S55 View Post
Just curious if anyone has installed the BavSound Ghost Underseat Subwoofer in their M2/M2C. I have the HK system which produces a nice sound but I feel is lacking a bit in the low frequency range. I have the BavSound speakers in my 2005 330ci ZHP coupled with a 10" self powered subwoofer and it is a very clean and rich sounding system, and still has the ability to pound hard when necessary.
I'm not looking or expecting the same with the Ghost Subs, but would appreciate any feedback on these that's out there.

https://www.bavsound.com/pages/build-your-kit?step=3

Thanks in advance.
There are numerous threads on improving the horrible HK System in the M2...

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ht=match+7+amp

Look at my build to see the sound upgrades I've done.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post27038179

Least expensive fix is to disconnect the Center speaker and replace your door speakers. Huge improvement. If your looking for more low end bass then install one of the 2-3 PNP Amps. I love my 1400W Match 7 DSP Amp. Really wakes u the OEM subs under the seats along with so much more.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I've installed the bavsound amp on mine and it got the bass levels to where I wanted it. Happy with it but not gonna lie it's expensive
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #5
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
I've installed the bavsound amp on mine and it got the bass levels to where I wanted it. Happy with it but not gonna lie it's expensive
Yeah, there all pricey...I shopped around and was able to buy my MATCH 7 BMW slightly used for $600...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Fuck...I'm at the age now where I think the factory system is more than enough and can't understand why anybody would need to modify it.

My VCR is also flashing '12:00' (hopefully this reference isn't expired like my rocking out days are)

But now I'm thinking it would be cool to juice up stereo seeing this new info.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Fuck...I'm at the age now where I think the factory system is more than enough and can't understand why anybody would need to modify it.

My VCR is also flashing '12:00' (hopefully this reference isn't expired like my rocking out days are)

LOL I hear ya brother.
But you gotta keep educating yourself with new technology.
That's how you stay young!
Appreciate 1
Brandt51883.00
      12-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post

Ok so your older than dirt...

The least expensive way to make everything pop is to simply swap out your door speakers and disconnect the center dash one. Really easy to do and and not expensive...
Appreciate 1
Brandt51883.00
      12-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Well, when I was younger I had a black & white TV and I had to tune our local stations [there were only 3] with an antenna. VCR's, I used to dream of that fancy new technology.

Back to question: I have them but only because the other brand of thin mount [Focal?] would not fit in those spots. I also upgraded all the other stock locations to Focal separates and have a sub in the trunk, so the Bavsound Ghosts are not required to do too much on their own. Amps & DSP are Mosconi and of course hardwired ASD bypass. There's also about 50lbs of sound dampening material to kill the vibrations/resonance and quiet the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
LOL I hear ya brother.
But you gotta keep educating yourself with new technology.
That's how you stay young!
Right!!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Ok so your older than dirt...

The least expensive way to make everything pop is to simply swap out your door speakers and disconnect the center dash one. Really easy to do and and not expensive...
Good stuff. I have a 1971 K5 Blazer that the previous owner had the dash cut for a standard DIN stereo and also cutout 6.5" holes in the doors for Alpines speakers. I knew about that when I bought it, but didn't expect a couple Rockford amps under the back seat and a subwoofer. So of course I updated the stereo to a digital media only Kenwood and replaced the sub with Rockford Punch 12" in a ported box and upgraded the door Alpines with their newest 6.5s....still doesn't sound as good as the BMW...but it's also a loud truck with a fiberglass top. Whoever restored it added dynamat all over, it does nothing because its a convertible. hahaha. I plan to replace the dash to put in a retro looking stereo one day...
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

IMO, your best bet is to get an aftermarket amp/DSP. The Match UP7 is probably the easiest. Helix V-eight is also a good option; Helix P-Six if you want to take it to another level.
You may have to put the factory amp back if the dealer is going to that type of major update, but that's not that common. It's your car, and you can tell them not to do any global update. If you're having issues, that's another story. In that case, it's very easy to swap in the OEM shit amp.
FYI, I've gone to the dealer a few times with my aftermarket audio system, and have never had any issues.
In terms of the underseats, there's just not much you can do with that limited space. For a nice midbass that can blend well with the door mids, Jehnert is probably tops. If you want more of a "sub", Earthquake is probably the way to go. Either way, they will perform best with an aftermarket amp/DSP.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
IMO, your best bet is to get an aftermarket amp/DSP. The Match UP7 is probably the easiest. Helix V-eight is also a good option; Helix P-Six if you want to take it to another level.
You may have to put the factory amp back if the dealer is going to that type of major update, but that's not that common. It's your car, and you can tell them not to do any global update. If you're having issues, that's another story. In that case, it's very easy to swap in the OEM shit amp.
FYI, I've gone to the dealer a few times with my aftermarket audio system, and have never had any issues.
In terms of the underseats, there's just not much you can do with that limited space. For a nice midbass that can blend well with the door mids, Jehnert is probably tops. If you want more of a "sub", Earthquake is probably the way to go. Either way, they will perform best with an aftermarket amp/DSP.
With the Match 7 its setup to run a sub in the trunk if your looking for 20hz+ bass
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #13
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

I'm researching audio upgrade options as well.

From what I can tell, swapping the subs without swapping the amp doesn't do much because, unlike the rest of the M2 speakers, the underseat subs are actually pretty decent for what they are. They're just underpowered by the terrible stock amp. I suspect this is because the subs are actually shared with other models, while the speakers are all unique to the 2-series and BMW cheaped out as much as possible. The 2-series just doesn't have much sales volume and really only exists to prop up BMW's sporty brand image, so BMW looked for as many ways to cut corners as they could.

Anyways, amp should be upgraded before subs.
Appreciate 0