BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rear turn indicator failure

View Poll Results: Have your M2C rear indicator units failed?
Yes 136 63.85%
No 77 36.15%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

12-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #199
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

So I took in my car yesterday in for it's first service (not run-in service) & asked them to check the rear indicator issue, they came back and said they need to replace both the rear light units. Will keep an eye once it done and give an update!
      12-19-2020, 06:14 AM   #200
r1sthebest
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Same problem notification here: "turn indicator rear left failure"
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #201
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

Brought mine in for this. Was happening frequently to the left but would sometimes happen to the right. I took pics of the notification in case they pushed back. They said they tested both tails and they shorted out so they were replaced under warranty. Oh and they replaced the entire grill because the sticker was peeling.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #202
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Yup, my right rear taillight gave me a malfunction warning and I had it replaced under warranty a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:05 PM   #203
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
Yup, my right rear taillight gave me a malfunction warning and I had it replaced under warranty a few weeks ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim.F32 View Post
So I took in my car yesterday in for it's first service (not run-in service) & asked them to check the rear indicator issue, they came back and said they need to replace both the rear light units. Will keep an eye once it done and give an update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1sthebest View Post
Same problem notification here: "turn indicator rear left failure"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
Brought mine in for this. Was happening frequently to the left but would sometimes happen to the right. I took pics of the notification in case they pushed back. They said they tested both tails and they shorted out so they were replaced under warranty. Oh and they replaced the entire grill because the sticker was peeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
What year are your comps? Or better yet what production month and year? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #204
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Mine's a '20.
July '19 build.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #205
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

My M2c is now doing the same thing both sides its booked in on the 4th 2021 to have it checked
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:55 PM   #206
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Wow so we just keep on replacing for the duration of ownership. Great.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #207
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
What year are your comps? Or better yet what production month and year? Thanks.
Build date is Nov ‘18
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #208
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Wow so we just keep on replacing for the duration of ownership. Great.
I haven't had any problems at all since I got the freshies put in.

I've got 32k on the car and they were replaced at 11k.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #209
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exellion View Post
I have the same problem. I coded "warm check" but now I have no errors but sometimes my turn indicators have ~ 50% dimmer like on his GIF. So this coding hide error but didn't solve real problem. Poochie what do you think about it?
My rear was doing this too and car is now out of warranty. I cleaned the connector and the socket and its been working fine for about 2 weeks now, without any issues. I'd recommend this as a first step.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #210
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywong321 View Post
Thanks Poochie for the solution. I had the rear left indicator malfunction pops out and indicators flickers on my 2018 Sept M2C. Problem solved after I coded out the "warm check".

But now I have another problem, my rear left indicator occasionally gets about 50% dimmer. I did not notice the problem until someone told me about it.

Anyone has the same problem? Thanks guys.
I have the same problem. I coded "warm check" but now I have no errors but sometimes my turn indicators have ~ 50% dimmer like on his GIF. So this coding hide error but didn't solve real problem. Poochie what do you think about it?
I'm not sure what's the issue with your lighting but I'm certain it has nothing to do with the coding..

I retrofitted these LCI taillights and coded out the warm bulb check(s) on mines since 03/2018 and counting and they've been working fine, since then.

I have honestly never encounter a single error or issue, it's been one of best upgrade I've done is 100% contented with the results. I even had my iDrive knob replaced, which required a full i-Level software update and did not hear a peep from my franchise dealer, in relation of this coding and hardware change.

BMW even list this LCI taillight retrofit as an official option now, which requires 'encoding' i.e. removal of the warm bulb checks (see below).

Not to mention, the same retrofit has been done and tested with tens of hundreds others members here, without any such incident you mentioned.

Had your said issue been remotely related to this change, there would be a lot more testimonials, with many others bitching about this defect.

The result is undisputed and many other's personal feedback pretty much speaks for itself.

Can you maybe post of up a photo of the variation of the lighting, maybe that might give me a clue of what the issue might possible be.

M2 LCI tail lights retrofitted on pre-LCI M2 https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1397351

DIY: LCI Tailights https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1405431

Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 01-16-2021 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2021, 06:26 AM   #211
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Have you tried topping up the blinker fluid?😏
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #212
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

I'm bringing in my car to service Monday for left and right rear turn signal malfunctions within the past month. Do they save the errors to the DME/ECU? Since they most likely won't be present upon inspection... hoping they will replace both and let me be on my way.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:24 AM   #213
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
I'm bringing in my car to service Monday for left and right rear turn signal malfunctions within the past month. Do they save the errors to the DME/ECU? Since they most likely won't be present upon inspection... hoping they will replace both and let me be on my way.
I believe it does create faults. But not sure where faults are stored on the car. They found my fault code even though it wasn't persistent.

However now my other side is having the problem about a year later
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #214
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Yup. Having this issue on my driver side indicator. Even when I want to use my turn signal, my BMW won't let me!
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #215
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Mine just popped yesterday / have an appt next week
      01-21-2021, 11:10 PM   #216
dannywong321
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition 2018 f87

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryPuff View Post
My rear was doing this too and car is now out of warranty. I cleaned the connector and the socket and its been working fine for about 2 weeks now, without any issues. I'd recommend this as a first step.
When my left indicator gets 50% dimmer, I would give it a bang then it works fine. But it will still come back. I might try this method, cleaning the socket and connector. Thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:42 PM   #217
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When my left indicator gets 50% dimmer, I would give it a bang then it works fine. But it will still come back. I might try this method, cleaning the socket and connector. Thanks mate!
For what it's worth, I drove it around in the rain and also in a car wash and the indicator is working fine still. Fingers crossed, it stays that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #218
dannywong321
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition 2018 f87

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryPuff View Post
For what it's worth, I drove it around in the rain and also in a car wash and the indicator is working fine still. Fingers crossed, it stays that way.
I cleaned my socket and the problem has not come back ever since. It has been 2 weeks. Thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #219
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Poochie for the solution. I had the rear left indicator malfunction pops out and indicators flickers on my 2018 Sept M2C. Problem solved after I coded out the "warm check".

But now I have another problem, my rear left indicator occasionally gets about 50% dimmer. I did not notice the problem until someone told me about it.

Anyone has the same problem? Thanks guys.
I'm not sure what's the issue with your lighting but I'm certain it has nothing to do with the coding..

I retrofitted these LCI taillights and coded out the warm bulb check(s) on mines since 03/2018 and counting and they've been working fine, since then.

I have honestly never encounter a single error or issue, it's been one of best upgrade I've done is 100% contented with the results. I even had my iDrive knob replaced, which required a full i-Level software update and did not hear a peep from my franchise dealer, in relation of this coding and hardware change.

BMW even list this LCI taillight retrofit as an official option now, which requires 'encoding' i.e. removal of the warm bulb checks (see below).

Not to mention, the same retrofit has been done and tested with tens of hundreds others members here, without any such incident you mentioned.

Had your said issue been remotely related to this change, there would be a lot more testimonials, with many others bitching about this defect.

The result is undisputed and many other's personal feedback pretty much speaks for itself.

Can you maybe post of up a photo of the variation of the lighting, maybe that might give me a clue of what the issue might possible be.

M2 LCI tail lights retrofitted on pre-LCI M2 https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1397351

DIY: LCI Tailights https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1405431

Here is it

That look defective, unrelated to this rapid flash issue. It looks like the LEDs are on its last leg.. You probably just have a dud unit..

Mines has a pretty bright amber hue and has been working find for over 3 years now..

And LCI taillights are cheap, relatively, like $220 new or $100 used.

Mines looks exactly like these guys below, on both sides:

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #220
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Indicator Rear warm monitoring is disable.
Mine did this too with indicator warm disabled.
I turned it back on and cleaned the taillight connector and it's been flashing nice and bright again. It might fail at some point in the future, but been good for over a month now
Appreciate 0