BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS : 6MT or DCT ?

01-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #1
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

M2 CS : 6MT or DCT ?

01-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
With manuals dying, a manual will always hold its value vs DCT. A manual with CCBs are the configuration to have with this car.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #3
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
With manuals dying, a manual will always hold its value vs DCT. A manual with CCBs are the configuration to have with this car.
I'm with you on the manual but question the CCB's. The steel brakes are awesome and a fraction of the price. And most track driver prefer the non-CCB's.
      01-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
How about 6MT, CCB, in right-hand drive!? lol

In Australia we got 84 allocations of which two were for the press.

I'm not alone but am sure there won't be too many others with that configuration.
      01-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #5
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Argh, all that time wasted shifting a knob! For me that video really highlights how much quicker the DCT is on track. Glad I ordered mine in DCT as that is where my CS is headed. And with BMW phasing out the DCT, I'm not too sure future values will suffer all that much because of the transmission choice.

If I want purity, I'll take my E36 M3 euro out for a crack.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #6
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
It is the last ever BMW DCT though. Just as it reached near perfection they switched to a slushmatic. So there's that. Both manual and DCT are great options and both come with a story.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #7
robopp
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
Quote:
I'm with you on the manual but question the CCB's. The steel brakes are awesome and a fraction of the price. And most track driver prefer the non-CCB's.
My opinion, but the CCBs are special for the M2CS, which is why I think they're mandatory for it. Separates the M2C and M2CS
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #8
robopp
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
It is the last ever BMW DCT though. Just as it reached near perfection they switched to a slushmatic. So there's that. Both manual and DCT are great options and both come with a story.
Maybe. Audi and BMW had a forced induction vs NA battle for a while in early 2000's with both settling on FI. Audi is largely DCT now, maybe BMW will have a change of heart? Porsche is all PDK too. Maybe that will push BMW back. I went from an RS3 to X3M and the ZF is garbage for a performance car. At least the X3M is an SUV so it feels more 'natural', but not even close for a sedan/coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:38 PM   #9
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

States a top speed of 184 at 0:40 ..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My opinion, but the CCBs are special for the M2CS, which is why I think they're mandatory for it. Separates the M2C and M2CS
That's it? The only diff between the two is CCB? I hope you don't drive it enough to need a brake job because then you will get the point.

Either way, enjoy want you got. I don't think you can go wrong anyway you go...,

... except if you got a DCT. Yuck!
      01-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #11
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

The guy in the video had no idea about the CS, so many comments off the mark/inaccurate when he did the walk around.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00
      01-09-2021, 11:09 PM   #12
robopp
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's it? The only diff between the two is CCB? I hope you don't drive it enough to need a brake job because then you will get the point.

Either way, enjoy want you got. I don't think you can go wrong anyway you go...,

... except if you got a DCT. Yuck!
You missed the point, and maybe that was my fault. CCB's are only available on the M2CS. That makes them special. People want differentiators from the normal M2C. Also, no brake dust and don't need to worry about a brake change for the 'life' of the car is pretty great too.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:53 AM   #13
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

My take on this subject; if you have second guess yourself on opting for the manual or not, on an M2, you never truly wanted one, just get the DCT and move on..
Appreciate 5
arciga181728.50
kyrocks1070.50
Moflow2484.50
2taCoS279.00
      01-11-2021, 05:01 AM   #14
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
My take on this subject; on an M2, if you have second guess yourself on opting for the manual or not, you never truly wanted one, just get the DCT and move on..
When I went to order my M2C after that fateful day in 2018 when the Launch video arrived I walked into the dealer saying hell would freeze over the day I didn't choose a manual.

I test drove a DCT. Shortly after hell froze over.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 05:15 AM   #15
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
My take on this subject; on an M2, if you have second guess yourself on opting for the manual or not, you never truly wanted one, just get the DCT and move on..
When I went to order my M2C after that fateful day in 2018 when the Launch video arrived I walked into the dealer saying hell would freeze over the day I didn't choose a manual.

No debate.

I'm sure with the DCT, its fun in its own right, to have instant gear changes but the M2 (and the G8X) is literally the last model in this segment, with a manual transmission option, so I would certainly not take that for granted.

That and I already decided that the day I have to give up the stick and clutch pedal, it's going to be for something all electric like this:

Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
      01-11-2021, 07:25 AM   #16
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Glad to hear this! LOL

I drove an M5 with DCT a few years ago and loved the DCT. I have also driven a PDK 911 turbo, loved it. I'm pretty excited about the DCT, although I occasionally feel a little conflicted.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
Davil6523.00
      01-12-2021, 12:44 AM   #17
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Just watched this video. Overall thought, I do think if you are doing a YouTube video and stating your preference you should first learn how to drive a manual properly so that you can do a proper comparison. He shifts like a Leyland bus driver. What on earth was he doing? Anyway. I think he feels he has developed some cred. He probably has for some people. For people that learnt in a manual, did their driving test in a manual 37 years ago it is somewhat of an amusing spectacle.

In other news. My son has turned 16. He will be learning to drive in a manual. This way you learn much more about car control and the car itself and eventually appreciate how great the DCT is as you actually understand it.

Hopefully he never makes a video like this.
Appreciate 2
2taCoS279.00
      01-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #18
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Just watched this video. Overall thought, I do think if you are doing a YouTube video and stating your preference you should first learn how to drive a manual properly so that you can do a proper comparison. He shifts like a Leyland bus driver. What on earth was he doing? Anyway. I think he feels he has developed some cred. He probably has for some people. For people that learnt in a manual, did their driving test in a manual 37 years ago it is somewhat of an amusing spectacle.

In other news. My son has turned 16. He will be learning to drive in a manual. This way you learn much more about car control and the car itself and eventually appreciate how great the DCT is as you actually understand it.

It seems you and I got our driver's licence around the same time under similar conditions.

However much I love the DCT, driving a 6MT is so very much more engaging. I'm not a petrol-head, and as such, to me at least, it is more the engagement with a great car that interests me over and above the extra 4 horses or 0.1 second shorter 0-100 dash!

I'm still young enough to want a fun fast car that is a joy to drive, and way too old to try and pretend to be Lewis Hamilton.
Davil6523.00
F87EVO4031.00
      01-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #19
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:

It seems you and I got our driver's licence around the same time under similar conditions.

However much I love the DCT, driving a 6MT is so very much more engaging. I'm not a petrol-head, and as such, to me at least, it is more the engagement with a great car that interests me over and above the extra 4 horses or 0.1 second shorter 0-100 dash!

I'm still young enough to want a fun fast car that is a joy to drive, and way too old to try and pretend to be Lewis Hamilton.
Well said sir !