BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Comfortable Coil Over Kit?

01-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #23
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Ohlins R&T is my go-to for a 'comfortable' street oriented kit. It has lower spring rates than most options which yields good street manners. Ohlins quality is fantastic. Much better than many of the kits discussed above.
I thought this too but my experience has been poor. I bought mine slightly used (2k miles) and found spring rate way too high. As I understand, their new kit fixes that as well as the loud clunking on harsh/sudden bumps. Also not responsive. YMMV
Used CO kits are always a gamble. You never know how many miles a kit really had. Unfortunately sellers are not always forthcoming with actual miles. I would not buy a used kit unless I planned to rebuild.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #24
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Ohlins R&T is my go-to for a 'comfortable' street oriented kit. It has lower spring rates than most options which yields good street manners. Ohlins quality is fantastic. Much better than many of the kits discussed above.
Curious as to what Spring Rate you have had?
      01-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #25
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwwhats View Post
I have a 2019 M2C and have now taken a job that requires a much longer drive that my prior job. I'm considering changing my car, but there's not much out there that actually excites me (I drove the M440 and felt it tried to do both the comfortable cruiser and the sporty thing and failed at both— very meh for $65k and not for me). So, then I thought to just mod my M2C to my liking eg add a quality coil over suspension kit that can be more compliant on streets and still maintain the sportiness inherent to the M2C. Does anyone have any recs from personal experience? I originally thought Ohlins, then spoke to ECS Tuning and they're like nah Ohlins is a bad idea, if you want more comfort go w Bilstein B16. Of course there are owners on both sides of the isle for these coil overs some saying they're more comfortable than stock and some saying less so, but I've not heard from anyone comparing to an M2C. Would appreciate any suggestions!
Ohlins are definetly overdamped, i have them on my car with stretched tires and the ride is rough, if you drive the car for more than 2 hours straight it hurts your butt. If you plan on going with Ohlins make sure you grab the comfort springs from HP autosport and set the damping 15 clicks or above. I would also make sure you're not running a stretched wheel and tire set up, which was my mistake.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #26
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

I run the TCKline single-adjustable front and dual-adjustable back set-up. The street setting was actually more comfortable than stock so I had to tighten everything up. Now running in the middle setting, which is OEM+. Definitely feels like a proper //M car now (OG M2).
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 2
zjldmd12.00
      01-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #27
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Thanks for bringing up TC Kline. I was gonna go for Ohlins but after seeing the spring rates I think I'm gonna go TCK.

FYI: Ohlins recommends 90/160NM springs for the M2, some people go custom as low as 70/140.
TC Kline offers 53/105 or 70/123.

Considering that most people agree that stock M2 is "oversprung and underdamped" the TC Kline should provide much better ride compared to other kits with higher spring rates.

And the TCK come with camber plates where for Ohlins I would have to upgrade my existing Vorshlag plates.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #28
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Thanks for bringing up TC Kline. I was gonna go for Ohlins but after seeing the spring rates I think I'm gonna go TCK.

FYI: Ohlins recommends 90/160NM springs for the M2, some people go custom as low as 70/140.

Considering that most people agree that stock M2 is "oversprung and underdamped" the TC Kline should provide much better ride compared to other kits with higher spring rates.

And the TCK come with camber plates where for Ohlins I would have to upgrade my existing Vorshlag plates.
Summed it up perfectly! It's a great package in my opinion.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:28 PM   #29
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
???

Confused.

The website gives the options of 300/400 for front and 600/700 for rear.

TC recommended 300/600 springs for Street for my M2C.

Puzzled now.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:07 PM   #30
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
???

Confused.

Puzzled now.
That is correct, but it looks like they tried to convert the spring rates to newton-meters

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 05:54 AM   #31
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
This isn't the case - it's the other way around. The stock springs are comparatively soft (@ ~200lbs), but the car feels sporty as the damping is higher than it should be for those springs.

This is very typical of BMW. One of the things that Apina often do is change the shocks for better matched (e.g softer) damping, and every review then writes about how much better the Alpina version of the car rides, despite the fact it is running the same springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #32
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
This isn't the case - it's the other way around. The stock springs are comparatively soft (@ ~200lbs), but the car feels sporty as the damping is higher than it should be for those springs.

This is very typical of BMW. One of the things that Apina often do is change the shocks for better matched (e.g softer) damping, and every review then writes about how much better the Alpina version of the car rides, despite the fact it is running the same springs.
Is this perhaps why some people feel that going to a higher rate aftermarket HAS setup such as Dinan offers more "smoothness" on stock damper?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #33
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
???

Confused.

Puzzled now.
I've got TC's C/O pkg on my car with the 400/700's. ( 1yr on them to date)

For me its fine but for most people the 300/600 would be spot on.

I have the S/A - D/A's.

This is my 3rd set of TC's (E36 & E46 M3's as well) and they have all been rock solid reliable. Single tubes are not as good as the top end twin tubes ....but the twins all require much more frequent rebuilds. I also ran a set of R&T Ohlins in my EVO X with 900/1000's and they also were solid for the street.
If your daily driving your car and will be using it for dual duty these two shock options should work great...

I don't have any experience with M Performance C/O's but the reviews on the forums as you know are good as well.

TC is a good nut, and a die hard BMW Vendor & racer. He dials in his C/O packages by driving on the platforms personally.

Best of luck with what you decide...

HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #34
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
Is this perhaps why some people feel that going to a higher rate aftermarket HAS setup such as Dinan offers more "smoothness" on stock damper?
Yes, lower damping factors are typically more comfortable. Also the amount of energy stored in the spring that the damper has to contend with decreases as you go up in spring rate. PE = 1/2kx^2 with x being the spring compression. Higher spring rate, means less compression for the same load. The tradeoff with going to higher spring rates is the decrease in isolating ability, so there is a balance to be found.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #35
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining. I was scratching my head how going for stiffer springs could lead to better ride.

Actually I have the Dinan HAS and I'm not as impressed with it as most reviewers.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #36
Vojta89
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
I have a 2019 M2C and have now taken a job that requires a much longer drive that my prior job. I'm considering changing my car, but there's not much out there that actually excites me (I drove the M440 and felt it tried to do both the comfortable cruiser and the sporty thing and failed at both— very meh for $65k and not for me). So, then I thought to just mod my M2C to my liking eg add a quality coil over suspension kit that can be more compliant on streets and still maintain the sportiness inherent to the M2C. Does anyone have any recs from personal experience? I originally thought Ohlins, then spoke to ECS Tuning and they're like nah Ohlins is a bad idea, if you want more comfort go w Bilstein B16. Of course there are owners on both sides of the isle for these coil overs some saying they're more comfortable than stock and some saying less so, but I've not heard from anyone comparing to an M2C. Would appreciate any suggestions!
KW Variant 4 is very comfy, just not very good for track use. It"s too soft event in hardest setting
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #37
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

Can you use the TC Kline dampers with stock camber plates?

Having camber plates is nice if you're going to be dialing in the camber but I'd rather keep stock camber plates for the reduced NVH.

Que argument about NVH and everyone's opinion...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #38
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
For comfort only:

TCKR DA with the lowest possible spring rates(have to run TC's or aftermarket camber plates)

Ohlins R&T with the lowest rates as well(you can run these with stock upper mounts)
Appreciate 0