BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MSS HAS kit help

12-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
minho80
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535xi m sport

MSS HAS kit help

Hi I install MSS has kit on m2c and not happy with the front height . I try contacting mss but no answer wondering if the mechanic can do something else do make the front lower ? Im all the way down on front and rear , the problem is the front still has a finger gap while rear is no gap and tucking perfectly. For most driver prob is perfect but I like my ride slammed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
I'd go up another 5-10mm in the rear. Not the answer you wanted but should balance out & look nice imo.
      12-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
H20neun
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
I'd go up another 5-10mm in the rear. Not the answer you wanted but should balance out & look nice imo.
that's what I thought as well, if the HAS is on max low you can not do anything to lower it further

stock height is also lower in the back than in the front
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
minho80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20neun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
that's what I thought as well, if the HAS is on max low you can not do anything to lower it further

stock height is also lower in the back than in the front
Yeah just disappointed , according to specs this kit was best and also the one with more travel for lowering the vehicle but I think the kw has kit seem to go even lower in travel
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 05:18 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

MSS are a professional company with car handling at the forefront of their design. So it's unlikely they will have designed a product to screw up the handling by allowing 'slamming'. As others have said, raise rear to match.

To expand on the design of a suspension system (as it seems the slamming fraternity don't realise the limitations). When BMW designed the damper and spring set, they would have allowed for a particular stroke of damper. They would have then fine tuned the damper length to sit in the mid position on that stroke at normal ride height.
So for example, if damper stroke is 120mm, they would aim to centre the piston by adjusting rod length at stock height. This would give 60mm of travel in both directions. Perfect.
The user then fits 30mm lowering springs, which moves the piston down to only 30mm compression left (now with 90mm extension). But with standard stiffness springs, the car might experience a regular travel of 50mm of suspension compression. You've only got 30mm until the piston bottoms out. The only way to remedy this on stock dampers is to increase the spring stiffness by a massive amount to reduce the regular 50mm of travel to 30mm. That would be close to double the spring weight. MSS are definitely not in that range. A double the spring rate car will be a bone jarring ride. Horrible.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
minho80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
MSS are a professional company with car handling at the forefront of their design. So it's unlikely they will have designed a product to screw up the handling by allowing 'slamming'. As others have said, raise rear to match.

To expand on the design of a suspension system (as it seems the slamming fraternity don't realise the limitations). When BMW designed the damper and spring set, they would have allowed for a particular stroke of damper. They would have then fine tuned the damper length to sit in the mid position on that stroke at normal ride height.
So for example, if damper stroke is 120mm, they would aim to centre the piston by adjusting rod length at stock height. This would give 60mm of travel in both directions. Perfect.
The user then fits 30mm lowering springs, which moves the piston down to only 30mm compression left (now with 90mm extension). But with standard stiffness springs, the car might experience a regular travel of 50mm of suspension compression. You've only got 30mm until the piston bottoms out. The only way to remedy this on stock dampers is to increase the spring stiffness by a massive amount to reduce the regular 50mm of travel to 30mm. That would be close to double the spring weight. MSS are definitely not in that range. A double the spring rate car will be a bone jarring ride. Horrible.
Thanks for all the technical info , ride seems to be better and smoother on bumpy road due to their double spring in rear but I found out the rear goes lower than kw has kit but front the kw seems to go down more . I'm thinking maybe mix and match or just go to coil over set up eventually no choice
Appreciate 0