BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2C Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust review

02-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #23
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Thanks, about the hp numbers I was as surprised as you but hey numbers dont lie, the dyno guy also told me that on the sport+ run with flaps fully opened his butt felt the engine less punchy than oem, the runs were very consistent and the last and 5th run made was with the flap closed and power spiked by 5 hp with heat soak already present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
OP, good review, but remember the sport modes / flaps etc are only for mid range effect, they do not alter max output.

So on a dyno at WOT they will make no difference to max power/ torque.

The flaps open above 4krpm or WOT even in efficient mode anyway so they have no effect on power either.

And no turbo engine ever made likes back pressure, that is strictly for NA engines (scavenging pulses etc).

The best exhaust for a turbo motor is no exhaust at all
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 03:21 AM   #24
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo_f View Post
Thanks, about the hp numbers I was as surprised as you but hey numbers dont lie, the dyno guy also told me that on the sport+ run with flaps fully opened his butt felt the engine less punchy than oem, the runs were very consistent and the last and 5th run made was with the flap closed and power spiked by 5 hp with heat soak already present.
OK, but 5bhp is way less than the accuracy tolerance of any dyno so it's not really very meaningfull.

What i said before is the flaps weren't closed, the DME opens them automatically above 4krpm or at full throttle - in all modes - so it's not possible to do a dyno / power run with flaps closed. They might be closed at idle and build up, but as soon as he gases it for the run they'll open.

Unless you disconnected the flap motors, but then you'd lose about 50+hp as the flaps closed are a major restriction at high load (that's why the DME is programmed to open them).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #25
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
OK, but 5bhp is way less than the accuracy tolerance of any dyno so it's not really very meaningfull.

What i said before is the flaps weren't closed, the DME opens them automatically above 4krpm or at full throttle - in all modes - so it's not possible to do a dyno / power run with flaps closed. They might be closed at idle and build up, but as soon as he gases it for the run they'll open.

Unless you disconnected the flap motors, but then you'd lose about 50+hp as the flaps closed are a major restriction at high load (that's why the DME is programmed to open them).
This exhaust flows through a 3.5 inch pipe with or without the flaps closed. We designed it this way to bring the decibels down on the track without any reduction of flow.

My M3 made 580 whp with them open and closed.

To the op, You wont see much improvement until the vehicle is tuned like another member said the vehicle will just reduce the amount of boost needed to hit the target tq.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #26
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
This exhaust flows through a 3.5 inch pipe with or without the flaps closed. We designed it this way to bring the decibels down on the track without any reduction of flow.

My M3 made 580 whp with them open and closed.
Yeah sorry I was thinking about the OE exhaust which is serioulsy restriced with the valves shut, both by small pipe ID and complex baffles - that's why standard DME opens the valves in any any mode to allow full power output.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #27
AM///X3M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS 2023 X3M Comp

Got my new exhaust and EL midpipe installed last week. Here is a quick comparison between the single and the EL midpipes. Thanks Andrew@AA and Mike@x-PH

03-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #28
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM319///M2C View Post
Got my new exhaust and EL midpipe installed last week. Here is a quick comparison between the single and the EL midpipes. Thanks Andrew@AA and Mike@x-PH

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
AM///X3M361.50
      03-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #29
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I just installed my 4th AA single mid yesterday (first one into my own car, YES!!!) along with both straight and resonated A/B pipes.

Fitment is tight, but I would want it to be.. zero issues with the install or plate fitment at the downpipes.

I think one advantage the M2Cs have over the M3/4 is the actually the recommendation. All three previous 3/4s I did, I cut in place while the M2C is recommended to pull the entire exhaust line intact before you cut.

I measured in place, then measured AGAIN once it was out, and also made the best straight easy cuts I ever had with the entire line sitting on my garage floor.

The resonated A/Bs needed a little tweaking and turning as my initial install (with all the clamps still loose) had them touching. A little twist on both and they were perfect.

So.. long and short, I like AA and installed their work a lot and have even more coming soon, including the exhaust reviewed here.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #30
TheBirdieGang
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Atlantis Blue MK7 GolfR

Quote:

what axle back did you get ? & is the AA EL resonated or non ..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #31
AM///X3M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBirdieGang View Post
what axle back did you get ? & is the AA EL resonated or non ..
The New Activeautowerke Axle Back with EL midpipe and stock Downpipes. Non resonated. I will be trying resonated pipes soon.
      03-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #32
AM///X3M
Private First Class
Rep

New AA Axle Back Exhaust/EL Midpipe/ Stock Downpipes.

03-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #33
TheBirdieGang
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Atlantis Blue MK7 GolfR

Quote:
The New Activeautowerke Axle Back with EL midpipe and stock Downpipes. Non resonated. I will be trying resonated pipes soon.
is there a reason you want to switch to the resonated AA EL mid pipe instead? Does the non resonated cause a drone or annoyance of some type to make you want the change
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #34
AM///X3M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
is there a reason you want to switch to the resonated AA EL mid pipe instead? Does the non resonated cause a drone or annoyance of some type to make you want the change
The droning is minimal. Between 1-2k rpms but I just want to try the resonated pipes just to hear the difference. It might help a lot of people making decisions.
      03-29-2021, 12:02 AM   #35
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The droning is minimal. Between 1-2k rpms but I just want to try the resonated pipes just to hear the difference. It might help a lot of people making decisions.
I have a sound comparison video up now in the forums for a comparison of stock, resonated and non resonated.

I will also have the same up soon for the same setup with catless downpipes. 8)
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
AM///X3M361.50