BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Tops EVO's Top Ten Best German Performance Cars List

08-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #111
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

It's more of an issue with the clear coat on CF units and cars parked outside. If you car is garaged it'd be pretty rare/unlikely. PPF also will help alleviate risk too. The hood being painted makes that unlikely to have issues.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #112
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Chris Harris even said in this article here (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/chr...-harris-bmw-1m) that he felt the e90 was a "felt like a museum piece – quaint and noisy, but slow and mechanically brittle. Age hasn't been kind to it."

He was one of the biggest supporters of the 1M, but eventually sold it and bought an M2 CS. I'd love to own an 1M for a bit though, just to see for myself.
How do we get Mr. Harris to review the M2cs? His endorsement would speak volumes for this car. His take on cars is typically on the side of driving pleasure, not lap times.

Mr Harris did endorse the M2 CS; HE BOUGHT ONE!
M3R12164.00
JPMD171.00
      08-21-2021, 11:28 PM   #113
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I agree... I was simply saying I would love to see him feature an M2cs in a dedicated video.
      08-22-2021, 03:59 AM   #114
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Quote:
I agree... I was simply saying I would love to see him feature an M2cs in a dedicated video.
fair enough

BTW, I didn't mean to have all caps on, I did the CS in caps and forgot to take off caps lock by the looks of things
M3R12164.00
      08-24-2021, 03:19 AM   #115
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStanman View Post
Also, CS cars are clearly far more than the sum of their parts.

Anyone else feel like that's what M used to offer? It sucks that they've reserved that for more expensive, limited productions models.
You're right. BMW first created stratification within the E46 and later models with ZCP. Then, they turned competition into a full model instead of a package and created CS. They are absolutely holding back software and other little things that would have gone to the base cars in an effort to upsell you.

I believe that the meat of the difference between the CS and competition models is in the EDC, software (engine, steering, diff), and Cup 2 tires. Stuff that is actually relatively inexpensive, yet important. They are going to distract you with things like the carbon roof, but I don't buy it. Same thing with the theory about the strut brace making the M2C handle differently than the OG M2 - I don't believe this for a minute from an engineering standpoint considering the type of changes described and felt.

BMW knows exactly what they are doing and they are now clever enough to plan this a few years in advance. Instead of raising base prices (as much) they will cripple them just enough in software to get you to jump up in trim level.

Keep in mind the people that come up with this stuff are also the people that decided it's best to insult our intelligence by removing the center consoles from these cars as if there is an actual performance benefit.

Last edited by chris719; 08-24-2021 at 03:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 03:35 AM   #116
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
So BMW should release only M cars and let Porsche release their GT and RS models and AMG their black series? The world has moved on. Customers can choose what to buy with their money. Why complain?
Appreciate 1
Davil6503.50
      08-24-2021, 05:27 AM   #117
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I believe that the meat of the difference between the CS and competition models is in the EDC, software (engine, steering, diff), and Cup 2 tires. Stuff that is actually relatively inexpensive, yet important.
Oh god. Another clown that thinks software should be free. Have you any idea the amount of effort that goes into developing great software?

As for the strut brace. Argue that point with the many original M2 owners that fitted this upgrade and reported that it made a massive difference. Just do a search.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #118
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Oh god. Another clown that thinks software should be free. Have you any idea the amount of effort that goes into developing great software?
Pretty sure I've written more lines of code than you have in your entire life, including software for life sustaining equipment. Not toy phone apps.

I never said software should be free, nor did I say there is zero cost to testing. Settings they already have determined are free, though. I'm sure the firmware devs slaved really hard to de-tune the S55 in M2C, lol.

Quote:
As for the strut brace. Argue that point with the many original M2 owners that fitted this upgrade and reported that it made a massive difference. Just do a search.
I've seen it. I don't put much stock in sighted comparisons that aren't even A/B. I've done enough studies to know that observations are not worth much. Cognitive biases are powerful.

Last edited by chris719; 08-24-2021 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
robopp1664.00
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #119
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
So BMW should release only M cars and let Porsche release their GT and RS models and AMG their black series? The world has moved on. Customers can choose what to buy with their money. Why complain?
Those examples don't necessarily work. The GT and RS models and Black Series are not equivalent to what BMW is doing with the CS. The true Porsche equivalent is the jump from S to GTS. There is a difference in purpose and livability with the RS and Black Series models, so I would not ask them to sell only those models. Same for the CSL/GTS. Porsche is doing many of the same things as BMW is here. I'm certainly not saying that BMW are the only company doing it.

My bad for complaining that BMW is now deliberately holding back items that don't actually cost much money to force you to buy-up. We should just be good little consumers and pay.

I'm not saying the CS isn't worth it, this isn't even about the CS itself really. It's just some old fashioned cloud-yelling about their continued focus on creating higher profit margin models.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #120
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Pretty sure I've written more lines of code than you have in your entire life, including software for life sustaining equipment. Not toy phone apps.
Good for you. I guess you struggle with the commercial aspects though. If you charged correctly for your seemingly immense skill you would easily be able to buy a CS, wouldn't think twice about the price, wouldn't post such nonsense and probably be generally a much happier person. Thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 04:33 AM   #121
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

Whinging about the M2 Cs

Gee chris719 !
Mate I concur with Davil here .

You don’t like it : fair enough and then don’t buy or comment in ignorance.

You obviously don’t own a Cs ; and I come from a technical/engineering background and you have no idea what your talking about .

The front carbon fibre strut works a treat and a vast amount of R&D went into putting that into the M2 Competition.

The sum of the parts on the CS provide a lovely and enticing drive (street or track) and are used for the basis of the CSR .

The Bmw M2 Cs is the best thing since both the Bmw E46 Cs & CSL .

It’s about a “back to basic” Bmw drivers car .

And I don’t give a “shite” about wether BMW makes money .

I bought this car because it’s the end of a generation and shows what the Bmw M division can do when they put their collective minds together !

Have a nice day .

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 4
Davil6503.50
MDuckie93.00
RideM317.00
Jimjamz4565.00
      08-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #122
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Once again, I'm compelled to defend civility by quoting Voltaire:

"I wholly disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it"

We're are all lovers of the exhilaration that goes with a decent sports car, even more so when it comes to a M2 CS.

Having said that, even when I know someone is commenting misguidedly (yes, I just made a new word), I still afford them the respect I'd expect if I, one day, talked out of my ... well, wine cask let's say

If someone did up a M2 Comp, and made it a carbon copy of a CS, I'd be the first to congratulate them. I'm sure it'd be a nice car to drive, even if just for comparison between the CS and the quasi-CS.

LIVE KIND AND LET PROSPER (see what I did there Mister Spok?)
CarJunkie2616.50
      08-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #123
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Once again, I'm compelled to defend civility by quoting Voltaire:

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]
"I wholly disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it"
[/COLOR]

We're are all lovers of the exhilaration that goes with a decent sports car, even more so when it comes to a M2 CS.

Having said that, even when I know someone is commenting misguidedly (yes, I just made a new word), I still afford them the respect I'd expect if I, one day, talked out of my ... well, wine cask let's say

If someone did up a M2 Comp, and made it a carbon copy of a CS, I'd be the first to congratulate them. I'm sure it'd be a nice car to drive, even if just for comparison between the CS and the quasi-CS.

LIVE KIND AND LET PROSPER (see what I did there Mister Spok?)
Well said. Bravo.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #124
Hapkin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65V8 View Post
All good points, and it is subjective and nuanced what one person thinks is worth it. I've driven both, just do not believe in the aesthetic carbon fiber bits that add up to thousands $$ that do not ultimately add to weight reduction. The performance tuning and suspension can all be made close or better and doesn't need to be a CS wannabe per se either.

The comparison is only made to M2C because many thought BMW should have at least dropped the weight with all that CF and did something more special to the engine and suspension for the premium (ala M4 GTS engine maybe or between a GT4 and standard Cayman etc).

Disclaimer: I am not hating on the M2CS, no question the M2CS is a fine car if you personally love the formula + exclusivity that BMW is offering, but whether one thinks it is worth the entrance fee is still subjective- just like any car.

Did you drive it hard in Sport Plus with MDM on, on the track? I made the mistake of initially doing Sport everything and MDM off initially. Going all out transformed the car, The adaptive suspension tuning really smoothed out the ride and increased confidence at the 10/10th limit.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #125
Hapkin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I'm a track guy, and I specifically bought the CS after driving the 981 GT4 and not coming away in love despite obsessing over it for nearly five years. I've had enough track and other fun car and driving experiences to realize the GT4 wasn't going to give me what I wanted on all the days off the track, or enough bump on the track over other options. Absolutely zero doubt the CS was the right purchase every time I drive it and with a track day under the belt and a few more coming up in a couple weeks.
My take as well. I test drove a lot of cars hard because am lucky to have friends with nice cars. M2CS just nailed all the buttons for me..
Appreciate 2
M3R12164.00