BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Some pix from MVading The Dragon.

08-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #23
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
The other thing about The Dragon is the surrounding area, which is utterly fantastic for scenery, and roads.

The worst part is the motorcycle drivers (by far), or people that think it's a tourist road.
I've been making yearly trips there for 12 years now, with last week being my most recent trip, and I absolutely love it. There's so much to do in that general area it never gets boring.

With respect to people thinking it's a tourist road, it kind of is. It's not a track (obviously), nor is it a road meant to be driven fast, it's just a road. It goes through an area where tourism has helped keep a LOT of businesses alive and spawned many more, and connects a few localities, so naturally there will be a lot of people driving through, hitting scenic overlooks, going on day trips to various places, etc. You can't blame regular people for driving regular speeds on that road.

Don't get me wrong, I hate getting stuck behind a Harley, pickup truck, or big SUV doing 15-20mph and ignoring every...single...damn...pullover, but that's why I don't really go fast during the daytime anymore, it just isn't worth the aggravation. Plus, Blount County police LOOOOOOOOOVE pulling people over and giving out every ticket they can for whatever reason. Night runs are where it's at...no police presence (categorically zero, unless someone wrecks), VERY low traffic, and you can see plenty far in advance when there's another car.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      08-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #24
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
I've been making yearly trips there for 12 years now, with last week being my most recent trip, and I absolutely love it. There's so much to do in that general area it never gets boring.

With respect to people thinking it's a tourist road, it kind of is. It's not a track (obviously), nor is it a road meant to be driven fast, it's just a road. It goes through an area where tourism has helped keep a LOT of businesses alive and spawned many more, and connects a few localities, so naturally there will be a lot of people driving through, hitting scenic overlooks, going on day trips to various places, etc. You can't blame regular people for driving regular speeds on that road.

Don't get me wrong, I hate getting stuck behind a Harley, pickup truck, or big SUV doing 15-20mph and ignoring every...single...damn...pullover, but that's why I don't really go fast during the daytime anymore, it just isn't worth the aggravation. Plus, Blount County police LOOOOOOOOOVE pulling people over and giving out every ticket they can for whatever reason. Night runs are where it's at...no police presence (categorically zero, unless someone wrecks), VERY low traffic, and you can see plenty far in advance when there's another car.
I went 1 other time, with my S2000 club in 2001. 94 S2000's, it was a blast.

Yes, it's a public road, but majority rules IMO, so I wish normal people would just stay the hell off of it.

And night, yeah, not so much, more hair-raising than fun IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #25
toneil44
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Comp GC, 2017 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
One of these days I'm going to drive cross country just to hit that road.

Fortunately I do have some pretty awesome twisties in my backyard (Santa Cruz mountains, Isle of 9, Skyline, Bonny Doon, etc) that are also pretty iconic drives to tide me over in the meantime.
Going out to Saratoga to visit my daughter in Oct.

I've driven Skyline, Rt 9 from Rt 1 Santa Cruz to Skyline (is that your Isle of 9?), Pescadero from Rt 1 up to Skyline.

Never been to Bonny Doon. Looks like I've been close to it on that section of Rt 9.

All of it is fun to drive w/ awesome scenery. Nice touch in the winter w/ a dusting of snow on top on Skyline.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #26
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Google maps is tweaking out right now so ignore the little straight-line dip + uturn towards the end, but check this route out for a nice little driving loop that starts / ends in Saratoga:

https://goo.gl/maps/UMtAL4SboK3qtN2k8
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #27
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
It was a great time. Not sure why there weren't more people. I think 56 people registered. Should have been 200 I would have thought. I went with the S2000 club back in '91 and we had 94 S2000's!!
Sounds like a great time. I enjoy trips to the Dragon but its been a while since I've been with a large group. I've probably done 50 runs in 9 different BMWs.

I agree with your assessment and love the rhythm you can get into curve after curve, especially southbound. And the nearby roads that are pretty good themselves.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50