BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Research advise and M2 wait time?

01-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Research advice and M2 wait time

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello.

Sorry in advance for the long post.

New member, longtime lurker. Love the forum! I'm about 15 months in to my 2016 M235i lease and I've decided to start thinking about my next car. Looking for some advice on how I should proceed.

I'm about 85-90% sure I'm buying an M2. However, this is the first time I've been in a position to buy what I truly want and I want to do some real research to make sure I'm making the "right" decision.

I would like to drive the M3, M4, Cayman, TTRS and maybe even a 911 before I make a final decision. It might sound like I'm all over the place, but I truly just trying to get a feel for what these cars are like as I've only ever driven the following:

E90 328i
Merc c230 coupe :
Merc c300 sport- actually "ok" compared to what I've actually driven/owned.
428xi GC (wife's)
16' M235i
M2 (rented for one week via Turo)

I know the waitlists were pretty long when a couple of years ago, but I'm curious if it's still necessary to get on a list one year in advance or should I wait until I'm about 6 months out?
2018 F80 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucnole10 View Post
Hello.

New member, longtime lurker. Love the forum! I'm about 15 months in to my 2016 M235i lease and I've decided to start thinking about my next car. Looking for some advice on how I should proceed.

I'm about 85-90% sure I'm buying an M2. However, this is the first time I've been in a position to buy what I truly want and I want to do some real research to make sure I'm making the "right" decision.

I would like to drive the M3, M4, Cayman, TTRS and maybe even a 911 before I make a final decision. It might sound like I'm all over the place, but I truly just trying to get a feel for what these cars are like as I've only ever driven the following:

E90 328i
Merc c230 coupe :
428xi GC (wife's)
16' M235i

I know the waitlists were pretty long when a couple of years ago, but I'm curious if it's still necessary to get on a list one year in advance or should I wait until I'm about 6 months out?
find a dealer with an allocation and you can have one built within a month of ordering. Mine was built 2 weeks after I ordered and its been about a month so far since it is built but i haven't gotten it yet.

You are certainly all over the place. the 911 is nothing like the m2 at all. The cayman is 20k more CAD and also is a completely different car. TTRS is in the same price range - would consider, except its way uglier, but the tech is nicer. I drive a 428xi daily and can tell you the m2 is nothing like that car, the 428 is pure nanny compared to the wildness of the m2.
      01-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

Agreed, the cars I mentioned are all different animals and serve different purposes. As you can see from my first post, I don't have much experience with M cars or anything on that level. I always thought I would get an M3 until the M2 was announced. I was lucky enough to be able to test an M2 for a week and it was an eye-opening experience. I honestly thought it would be a slightly sportier version of my M235 and boy was I wrong. I would sign papers for one tomorrow if I could! I have some time to figure things out and I plan to test all of the cars I mentioned above. I have this "issue" with changing cars every couple of years and I'm hoping to find something that keeps me happy for a while.

I'm hoping to attend some driving courses here in Washington and I would love to eventually take my own car to the track in the near future.

I definitely have some decisions to make and I look forward to figuring out which car is best for me. It's nice to learn that things are moving faster and you no longer have to wait a year for an M2.

Cheers to you getting your M2 soon and enjoying in good health.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'd say get the M2, if it's going to be your only car.

M2 is the best all arounder for daily driving, comfortable and sporty at the same time but also reserved when need to be. M3/M4 is cool also, just leans more comfortable driving, grand tourer if you will. 911 honestly I'd only own if I had another car. As much as I'd love to DD a 911, I feel like I'd be wasting it's potential just DD'ing. Especially so living in between San Francisco and Sacramento. My opinion of Audi is, idk, they make okay cars. They try to do BMW Sport and Mercedes Luxury but falls short of doing both.

Have you considered a C63S coupe? Provides a good balance and leans more DD with a good track capability. Plus, V8 that doesn't guzzle gas (RELATIVELY AS MUCH). People usually dismiss Mercedes but let's not forget they forced BMW to make the M3 because they were dominating Motorsports for so long.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
tokenone
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

As for the M2 wait list question: I spoke to my (California) dealer approx 8 months before my current lease ended. At that point he said there is not much he can do other than keep me in mind. Fast forward to last September and he called me with an opportunity for a build slot. I took it (seems like there was no waiting list) and from there it is pretty much like jmh600cbr said. The production of the car is super quick, but waiting for a ship and getting it to the west coast takes forever.

I ordered it October and should be getting it around beginning of February (ship is currently close to San Diego).

Long story short, talk to your dealer so s/he has you in mind when an allocation/build slot comes around the corner.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
I'd say get the M2, if it's going to be your only car.

M2 is the best all arounder for daily driving, comfortable and sporty at the same time but also reserved when need to be. M3/M4 is cool also, just leans more comfortable driving, grand tourer if you will. 911 honestly I'd only own if I had another car. As much as I'd love to DD a 911, I feel like I'd be wasting it's potential just DD'ing. Especially so living in between San Francisco and Sacramento. My opinion of Audi is, idk, they make okay cars. They try to do BMW Sport and Mercedes Luxury but falls short of doing both.

Have you considered a C63S coupe? Provides a good balance and leans more DD with a good track capability. Plus, V8 that doesn't guzzle gas (RELATIVELY AS MUCH). People usually dismiss Mercedes but let's not forget they forced BMW to make the M3 because they were dominating Motorsports for so long.
I can take the wife's 428xi so I have some flexibility. I have looked into the C63S, but honestly, I haven't given it much thought lately. I did not have the greatest experience with the Mercedes and I think I'm letting that cloud my judgment. I will likely add the C63S to the list to test drive.

Really looking forward to comparing the M2 to the M3/M4 even though they are different animals. I tend to prefer smaller cars these days, but I want to give them all a fair shot.

I have zero experience with Audi. The TTRS is the only car in their lineup that interests me. Nice rides, but they just don't do it for me. The TTRS' exhaust note and the rave reviews have caught my attention.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenone View Post
As for the M2 wait list question: I spoke to my (California) dealer approx 8 months before my current lease ended. At that point he said there is not much he can do other than keep me in mind. Fast forward to last September and he called me with an opportunity for a build slot. I took it (seems like there was no waiting list) and from there it is pretty much like jmh600cbr said. The production of the car is super quick, but waiting for a ship and getting it to the west coast takes forever.

I ordered it October and should be getting it around beginning of February (ship is currently close to San Diego).

Long story short, talk to your dealer so s/he has you in mind when an allocation/build slot comes around the corner.
Perfect-- I will visit local dealers to see how what their list looks like. I have a few options in my area and I plan to evaluate all options. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I'm getting antsy. Trying to decide when I should realistically start test driving the non-BMW options as I don't want them to think I'm wasting their time.

Thanks token!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 03:34 AM   #8
kenloh63
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I'm from singapore, just ordered my M2 2 weeks ago.....
was told car will only be manufactured March 18..... and expected delivery to Singapore will be June-July 18. so its about a 5-6 months wait for me....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

I had a friend get one in <1 month, plucked one from on the water, bmw in encinitas is a huge M store. he just picked it up a week ago, they did some nice refinements vs the 17, I liked it a lot + as others have stated its a great all around car, I have almost 13K on mine since 10/16 and always enjoy driving it. that aside 911s are haunting, if you drive one you will constantly think of ways that you can own one. they are that good and actually very thoughtful from a design standpoint. i love the way the rear seats fold down that yields both decent upper luggage storage and also a nice compartment under the seat when folded. the manual is one of the best i have used and the sound, I never get tired of that sound. and the build quality, incredible. awful mileage and I don't care. I could go on and on. 911s are just pure bliss imo
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

You may want to throw the RS3 on your list of test drives if you are looking at Audi. A bit more practical than a TT given it has four doors and a back seat you can actually use (if that matters to you). I test drove one with the wife about a month ago (she ended up getting a GTI instead as the RS3 doesn't come in a manual trans - that's my girl!) RS3 wasn't completely horrible, except for maybe the fake sound pumped into the car - that was pretty bad...don't know why these car makers are all doing this now.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

I assumed that I would have to wait about six months and I'm ok with that. I was fully prepared to wait a year!

I have heard that driving a Porsche is dangerous because most people end up buying. I'm looking forward to the experience! I have noticed that people tend to move between Porsche and BMW. If only I could afford both!

I really just want to drive something that feels special-- and the M2 definitely felt special. Very curious to experience just how different the M3/M4 feel in comparison to the M2.

Not opposed to checking out Audi. I can honestly admit that negative reviews and comments from fellow bimmer owners have led me to not pay much attention to them. At this point, I'm open to driving everything since I have so much time to kill. There are certainly worse "problems" to have in life!

Thank you all for the information.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #12
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

FYI, I'm in Los Angeles, and my BMW dealer (I've leased two previous BMW's from them) told me that he could put me on their list for one of their allotments, and I wouldn't have to put down any deposit. He also told me that if I changed my mind, and decided not to go ahead with the purchase, even after putting my name on the list, it wasn't a problem, as they could sell M2's all day without a problem.

Bottom line, I waited a month, then put my name down for an M2, and configured it exactly the way I want it. I put my name down on Dec. 12, 2017, and they're telling me I'm looking at week 7 before they begin to build the car. Delivery should be late April, or early May!

Bottom line, if you're interested, see if your dealer would require a deposit, and if it's refundable. If it is, may as well put your name down as soon as possible, even if you're looking at other cars!

By the way, I used Turo to test a 2018 Corvette Stingray, 2018 M2 and a 2017 Boxster. Six hours after picking up the M2, I drove to the BMW dealer and custom ordered my 2018 M2!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #13
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
FYI, I'm in Los Angeles, and my BMW dealer (I've leased two previous BMW's from them) told me that he could put me on their list for one of their allotments, and I wouldn't have to put down any deposit. He also told me that if I changed my mind, and decided not to go ahead with the purchase, even after putting my name on the list, it wasn't a problem, as they could sell M2's all day without a problem.

Bottom line, I waited a month, then put my name down for an M2, and configured it exactly the way I want it. I put my name down on Dec. 12, 2017, and they're telling me I'm looking at week 7 before they begin to build the car. Delivery should be late April, or early May!

Bottom line, if you're interested, see if your dealer would require a deposit, and if it's refundable. If it is, may as well put your name down as soon as possible, even if you're looking at other cars!

By the way, I used Turo to test a 2018 Corvette Stingray, 2018 M2 and a 2017 Boxster. Six hours after picking up the M2, I drove to the BMW dealer and custom ordered my 2018 M2!
Thanks, ShelJW. How did you like the 718? Heard lots about the sound, but what made you choose the M2 over the 718?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #14
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, ShelJW. How did you like the 718? Heard lots about the sound, but what made you choose the M2 over the 718?
I loved the Boxster, but I was really looking at getting a Cayman.

However, I was looking at a 2016 Cayman, or Cayman S, not the 718, for what I will pay for a brand new M2. Base Cayman 718, not the S, is about $6k over the M2.

The Boxster (couldn't find a Cayman for rent on Turo, and figured the Boxster would give me a good enough idea) was a PIA to get in and out of. It also had a terrible blind spot in the rear... not sure the Cayman would have the same thing, but probably.

However, the car was a blast to drive! Really fun... but it also kind of attracts alot of attention. I'm getting up there in years, and I'm not looking to relive my childhood, or give that impression! Not looking for a car that makes a statement or attracts attention when I pull into a restaurant, I'm actually much more interested in a fun, sleeper car! (I've had Corvettes, Porsche 928, Lotus Esprit, etc.) I love that the M2 is rather understated... people who don't know cars will probably think it's just a "baby BMW"!

The M2 also has back seats, which won't be used that often, but on occasion will come in handy! I have a daily driver, this'll be my fun, weekend car!

The corvette was amazing! Blazingly fast, but I honestly enjoyed driving the M2 more... the M2 is so well balanced, even when you're not driving it at fast speeds, it's still a really fun car!
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      01-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #15
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I loved the Boxster, but I was really looking at getting a Cayman.

However, I was looking at a 2016 Cayman, or Cayman S, not the 718, for what I will pay for a brand new M2. Base Cayman 718, not the S, is about $6k over the M2.

The Boxster (couldn't find a Cayman for rent on Turo, and figured the Boxster would give me a good enough idea) was a PIA to get in and out of. It also had a terrible blind spot in the rear... not sure the Cayman would have the same thing, but probably.

However, the car was a blast to drive! Really fun... but it also kind of attracts alot of attention. I'm getting up there in years, and I'm not looking to relive my childhood, or give that impression! Not looking for a car that makes a statement or attracts attention when I pull into a restaurant, I'm actually much more interested in a fun, sleeper car! (I've had Corvettes, Porsche 928, Lotus Esprit, etc.) I love that the M2 is rather understated... people who don't know cars will probably think it's just a "baby BMW"!

The M2 also has back seats, which won't be used that often, but on occasion will come in handy! I have a daily driver, this'll be my fun, weekend car!

The corvette was amazing! Blazingly fast, but I honestly enjoyed driving the M2 more... the M2 is so well balanced, even when you're not driving it at fast speeds, it's still a really fun car!
Ah-- my mistake. I misread and assumed you rented a cayman somehow. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on driving the Boxter. I also love the fact that the M2 is an under-the-radar beast!

I completely understand the point about the Boxter attracting unwanted attention. That is part of the Porsche ownership experience whether you like it or not. I wonder why people have such strong feelings about people who choose to own a Porsche? I certainly understand why the drivers LOVE them, but I don't understand why people give Porsche owners such a hard time. That is one of the few negatives I can think of that relates to Porsche ownership.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #16
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is one of the few negatives I can think of that relates to Porsche ownership.
Hey, the Cayman is gorgeous! I hope my post didn't give the opinion I felt it was anything but beautiful! It, and to a lesser degree to my mind, the Boxster, are really stunningly beautiful cars!

The M2 is also really great looking, but in a much more subtle way...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #17
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
I have heard that driving a Porsche is dangerous because most people end up buying. I'm looking forward to the experience! I have noticed that people tend to move between Porsche and BMW. If only I could afford both!

I really just want to drive something that feels special-- and the M2 definitely felt special. Very curious to experience just how different the M3/M4 feel in comparison to the M2.
Funny you mention that... About a week after I took delivery of my M2, I did one of the "courses" at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. I wasn't planning for the timing to be that way, but I signed up a few months prior since my wife and I were going to be visiting family in GA anyway.

I drove the 911 GTS, since it was the most powerful non-GT Porsche (figured I'd probably hurt myself in a GT3), and it was fantastic. Meeting your heroes is always tricky, but the 991.2 fit me well - pretty much like I thought it would. I got enough seat time in the car at a fast enough pace to understand how it behaves under various cornering, braking, and acceleration loads. Here's what I learned from that day:

1) The current 911 really is as good as people say it is

2) The steel S-brakes on the GTS are awesome - probably more singularly impressive than the car's acceleration

3) The M2 at $60K acquits itself well against any Porsche short of a GT3 when you look at the whole package

4) I will be buying a 911 - but I would very much regret selling my M2 to buy it

After a month or so of driving my M2, I've come to the conclusion that the car is lightning-in-a-bottle good... Out of the box, it's insanely quick, handles well, brakes well, and has no real blind spots - making it easy to drive. More importantly, the car is probably one of the most engaging vehicles I've ever driven.

So, if I were you, I'd be getting an allocation for the M2 ASAP. Right now, you're probably about 100 days from inquiry to delivery. I'd skip the Cayman (you'll probably regret not buying a 911) and the TTRS (I haven't driven one, but the formula doesn't lend itself to being very expressive at low speeds). But you're on an M2 forum, so you know which way we're all leaning.

The thread is useless without pics, right? Here are a couple (yes, I am driving the car pictured... badly)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #18
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Hello.

E90 328i
Merc c230 coupe :
428xi GC (wife's)
16' M235i

I do not understand why people feel the need to apologize for posting a car related question on a car related forum.

Welcome to the forum. You should definitely drive at least the Cayman S before you make your decision specially if you are in a hurry to make said decision.

If I did not want to change my car in the next 2 years or so which is actually the situation that I find myself in as well, I would wait a little bit longer and see what other iteration of the M2, BMW might make. I would also assume that Porsche is not being idle and they would also be working on some sort of GT car which could also become a viable option. I have driven a 991.1 GT3 and an M4 GTS (Both owned by the same guy who also owns an older turbo). While the M4 GTS is definitely special, it is nowhere near the GT3.

I have also driven a 2015 911 cabriolet and did not think it was special at all.

You are asking this question within the M2 portion of a BMW forum and hence the response from us would be a little prejudiced. . The best thing to do is to test drive the cars that tickle your fancy and make a decision.

I would also test drive the following:
1, Jaguar F type R (2015): Great deals and RWD. Driven once and hear it every week.
2, 718 GTS and Cayman S: A bit pricey for a 4 cylinder but expected to be faster than 981 GT4 on similar tyres. Not driven myself.
3, 981 GT4: Could get stripper for ~90K which is what I would get instead of the M4 GTS. Driven both multiple times.
4, Audi RS3: Not driven but heard good things.
5, Audi TTRS: Not driven but heard good things.
6, M2 Competition: You will hear good things and I can't wait to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Hey, the Cayman is gorgeous! I hope my post didn't give the opinion I felt it was anything but beautiful! It, and to a lesser degree to my mind, the Boxster, are really stunningly beautiful cars!

More subtle but if you get the LBB color people will notice, so watch out for that if you don't want attention.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:28 PM   #20
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No, I agree the Cayman and Boxters are gorgeous!

I was saying that one of the few negatives I can come up with, regarding P-cars, is the amount of attention they attract. And, really, I'm only talking about negative attention from those who assume most Porsche owners are stuck-up rich guys/gals.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #21
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teombe View Post
Funny you mention that... About a week after I took delivery of my M2, I did one of the "courses" at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. I wasn't planning for the timing to be that way, but I signed up a few months prior since my wife and I were going to be visiting family in GA anyway.

I drove the 911 GTS, since it was the most powerful non-GT Porsche (figured I'd probably hurt myself in a GT3), and it was fantastic. Meeting your heroes is always tricky, but the 991.2 fit me well - pretty much like I thought it would. I got enough seat time in the car at a fast enough pace to understand how it behaves under various cornering, braking, and acceleration loads. Here's what I learned from that day:

1) The current 911 really is as good as people say it is

2) The steel S-brakes on the GTS are awesome - probably more singularly impressive than the car's acceleration

3) The M2 at $60K acquits itself well against any Porsche short of a GT3 when you look at the whole package

4) I will be buying a 911 - but I would very much regret selling my M2 to buy it

After a month or so of driving my M2, I've come to the conclusion that the car is lightning-in-a-bottle good... Out of the box, it's insanely quick, handles well, brakes well, and has no real blind spots - making it easy to drive. More importantly, the car is probably one of the most engaging vehicles I've ever driven.

So, if I were you, I'd be getting an allocation for the M2 ASAP. Right now, you're probably about 100 days from inquiry to delivery. I'd skip the Cayman (you'll probably regret not buying a 911) and the TTRS (I haven't driven one, but the formula doesn't lend itself to being very expressive at low speeds). But you're on an M2 forum, so you know which way we're all leaning.

The thread is useless without pics, right? Here are a couple (yes, I am driving the car pictured... badly)
What a beautiful car! Sure looks like a good time. I'm dying to get to visit that place even if I decide to stay in the BMW family. Thanks for sharing your experience.

You summarized it perfectly-- even if I bought a Cayman or 911, I would still be drawn to the M2. As many have said on this forum, the M2 really is a steal in comparison to many other more expensive cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #22
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
I do not understand why people feel the need to apologize for posting a car related question on a car related forum.

Welcome to the forum. You should definitely drive at least the Cayman S before you make your decision specially if you are in a hurry to make said decision.

If I did not want to change my car in the next 2 years or so which is actually the situation that I find myself in as well, I would wait a little bit longer and see what other iteration of the M2, BMW might make. I would also assume that Porsche is not being idle and they would also be working on some sort of GT car which could also become a viable option. I have driven a 991.1 GT3 and an M4 GTS (Both owned by the same guy who also owns an older turbo). While the M4 GTS is definitely special, it is nowhere near the GT3.

I have also driven a 2015 911 cabriolet and did not think it was special at all.

You are asking this question within the M2 portion of a BMW forum and hence the response from us would be a little prejudiced. . The best thing to do is to test drive the cars that tickle your fancy and make a decision.

I would also test drive the following:
1, Jaguar F type R (2015): Great deals and RWD. Driven once and hear it every week.
2, 718 GTS and Cayman S: A bit pricey for a 4 cylinder but expected to be faster than 981 GT4 on similar tyres. Not driven myself.
3, 981 GT4: Could get stripper for ~90K which is what I would get instead of the M4 GTS. Driven both multiple times.
4, Audi RS3: Not driven but heard good things.
5, Audi TTRS: Not driven but heard good things.
6, M2 Competition: You will hear good things and I can't wait to drive.
I definitely expected lots of praise for the M2 and I'm not surprised by the recommendations. I have some time before I make my final decision and I will definitely enjoy the process of shopping. The M2 will be pretty tough to beat... I was lucky enough to drive it for a week along the PCH and I will never forget that trip. The wife and I visited Santa Barbara, Long Beach, San Diego and La Jolla for Christmas and the M2 was our primary mode of transportation.

I am going to be as open-minded as possible, but one car already has bonus points!

Thanks, Gatte!
Appreciate 0